• Here it is, the 1M Coupe - Pictures and Official Specs, 335 hp N54 - The new M "era" begins

      Here we finally have it. No more teaser videos, no more showing a fender here or there, no more hype, this is the real deal. BMW gives us the final product and by no accident chose to show it with the E30 M3. Putting the 1M Coupe which has accomplished nothing up on the lofty pedestal of comparisons with the E30 M3, arguably the greatest BMW M ever made, is not showing the E30 M3 the proper respect. It is not a spiritual successor to the E30 M3. However, that is a debate for another time and let's focus on the specs and photos.

      The motor and tune is the exact same as the 335is and 2011 Z4 sDrive35is. Nothing special here folks, same N54, same 335 hp. Disappointing? In our opinion, for an M, yes. This shares the same motor as other cars in the lineup with no changes. Not even a different tune? In our opinion, the powerplant is a major letdown.

      The transmission is a 6-speed with extra cooling which it no doubt will need for the guys who take this thing out of the track. It sends power to the "M" differential which is just a part derived from the E92 M3. The borrowing from the M3 does not stop there, as the suspension is lifted from the M3 as well. Starting to see a pattern here? No doubt you see it with the wheels which are lifted from the M3 competition package with 245/35/19 and 265/35/19 tire measurements. How about those brakes? Lifted from the M3 as well.

      So far we have a parts bin car with the same motor already available and the same parts that were already designed. So... where is the "M" magic? In the body work of course. Look at those great fenders! The car certainly looks like it is a real M car. That counts, why do you think we got all those teasers of fenders and bumpers?

      The car will sell, they will sell every last one. People have already bought the hype. This isn't an E30 M3 and never will be one. As the guys at insideline put it so well, "No doubt the carmaker would like to recast the 2011 BMW 1 Series M as a spiritual successor to that beloved M3. That's a pipe dream." It is a great looking car that will be fun to drive but this new M era has us shaking our heads in disappointment of what M has now become.

















      This article was originally published in forum thread: Here it is, the 1M Coupe - Pictures and Official Specs, 335 hp N54 - The new M "era" begins started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 146 Comments
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        Old booster hit 530whp with a small dry shot of nitrous, I believe a .28 jet. He has stock turbos.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
        Old booster hit 530whp with a small dry shot of nitrous, I believe a .28 jet. He has stock turbos.
        Yep, and what was his trap in a much lighter car?
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Yep, and what was his trap in a much lighter car?
        124.something MPH, but I believe he backed down a jet before running at the track because of misfires on the dyno probably due from leaning out. He only made it to 5000 or so RPM and made 530whp and I think it was like 560ft-lbs. I'll find it later.

        He wasn't spraying through shifts either.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
        124.something MPH, but I believe he backed down a jet before running at the track because of misfires on the dyno probably due from leaning out. He only made it to 5000 or so RPM and made 530whp and I think it was like 560ft-lbs. I'll find it later.

        He wasn't spraying through shifts either.
        He hit 127 once. So where does a ~4 mph difference come from in a heavier car eh?

        Larger jet + Sacramento, that's where.
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        So where does a ~4 mph difference come from in a heavier car eh?

        Larger jet + Sacramento, that's where.
        Very possible, yes...Sac had their equipment fixed just recently...so LM had the fastest legit trap so far on RB twins at 123.9mph no NOS, pump gas + meth + full weight, correct?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
        Very possible, yes...Sac had their equipment fixed just recently...so LM had the fastest legit trap so far on RB twins at 123.9mph no NOS, pump gas + meth + full weight, correct?
        I think he hit 125, I will have to go back and check. Forgot to put his upgrade turbo time on the list.

        Sac had their equipment fixed? Thank God, no more N54's trap 125 with just a tune BS.