Close

    • Rumor: F30 BMW M3 to get a 3.3 liter 440 hp twin turbo V6?



      We have heard this rumor before and BMW has yet to confirm it. However, BMWcoop is reporting that sources inside BMW claim the V6 twin turbo is a go. Why would BMW abandon the I6 after so long? Why the change that goes against all the talk of the N55 being the base for the next-gen M3? Why would BMW create a new motor architecture when they have set the precedent of using the same architecture now across multiple models? We don't know, it does not make any sense. 440 hp is also way, way too low. There are many conflicting reports, take it with a grain of salt until BMW refutes it (or confirms it).

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Rumor: F30 BMW M3 to get a 3.3 liter 440 hp twin turbo V6?? started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 37 Comments
      1. George Smooth's Avatar
        George Smooth -
        I mentioned this years ago. Engine has been in development for ages but its not confirmed.
      1. Itsbrokeagain's Avatar
        Itsbrokeagain -
        thats the history of BMW right there..why would they do it??
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        Might as well just buy a Ford Ecoboost V6 and tweak it a bit......
      1. Ocbimmer's Avatar
        Ocbimmer -
        I'm a little bit disappointed. Is it going to be BMW's answer to C63 AMG? Also why develop another 6 cylinder TT engine when they already have the n54 and n55? (I know, they're I6, but c'mon) This one's only gonna have slightly more power than those I6 TT's already exist. I expected a V8 TT in the new M3. By the time the f30 m3 will be on the market, the competitors will already have more powerful alternatives to offer. I'm gonna be on the market for a new car by then, and I really want it to be another bimmer (finally an M3) so please BMW don't make me get a Benz or Audi, or a 335 again Click here to enlarge
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        This will be a huge mistake. No next gen M3 for me, if true.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        V6?that sounds weird but since Bmw is considering FWD for new micro car it won't be impossible.
        but just 440Hp?a Sonata has more Hp/Lit than next gen M3?Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
        Might as well just buy a Ford Ecoboost V6 and tweak it a bit......
        Not even that odd of a thought.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
        I mentioned this years ago. Engine has been in development for ages but its not confirmed.
        If it isn't confirmed then how do we know? Seems like just a rumor.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HeroSina Click here to enlarge
        V6?that sounds weird but since Bmw is considering FWD for new micro car it won't be impossible.
        but just 440Hp?a Sonata has more Hp/Lit than next gen M3?Click here to enlarge
        It's weird, don't know what the hell BMW is thinking.

        440 hp clearly will be a joke. The M3 simply won't be able to compete with other offerings if this is true.
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        all these rumors... we need some solid info now from BMW before all the BMW owners say "screw you" and defect to a different brand
      1. 600whp S4's Avatar
        600whp S4 -
        how do you know the next gen m3 wont weight 3000lbs flat and have 440hp?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
        how do you know the next gen m3 wont weight 3000lbs flat and have 440hp?
        BMW can barely get the mini cooper under 3000 pounds and you think they are going to make it lighter than the E36, E46, or E9X? Not likely.
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Maybe they are making a new engine for the Indicar 2012 season Click here to enlarge
        On June 2, IZOD IndyCar Series officials announced that its 2012 engine platform will allow manufacturers to produce engines with a maximum of six cylinders as well as maximum displacement of 2.4 cubic liters. The ethanol-fueled engines will produce between 550 and 700 horsepower to suit the diverse set of tracks on which the IZOD IndyCar Series competes and will be turbocharged to allow for flexibility in power.
      1. xbox_fan's Avatar
        xbox_fan -
        Beemers with V6's and FWD, it is simply not ok...
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        They can't just leave I6's like that, that is their heritage dating all the way back to World War 1. If they make the new M3 a TT V6, I will just be even more happy that I grabbed a 1M.....

        I don't think it will be up to par with the VR38 and the VG30 TT motors, but we will see.
      1. 62Lincoln's Avatar
        62Lincoln -
        I haven't read anything about BMW developing a V6, I think this was simply an auto writer making a mistake.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 62Lincoln Click here to enlarge
        I haven't read anything about BMW developing a V6, I think this was simply an auto writer making a mistake.
        Actually, there have been rumors about a V6 in the new M3 and newer BMW's for a little while now. They don't seem to be going away for whatever reason.
      1. Doug007's Avatar
        Doug007 -
        It makes absolutely no sense for BMW to develop a V6 when they have been making I6s throughout their history.

        Have you ever wondered why Mercedes and US automakers had 90 degree V6s instead of the optimal 60 degrees? It's because their engine equipment was set up for 90 degree V8s and it would be too costly to replace the engine building equipment. As wikipedia puts it "90° V6 engines are also produced, usually so they can use the same production-line tooling set up to produce V8 engines (which normally have a 90° V angle)."

        For BMW to go from an I6 to a V6 configuration is stupid. You gain nothing and spend millions! The only advantage is a shorter length. What's the point in that?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Doug007 Click here to enlarge
        It makes absolutely no sense for BMW to develop a V6 when they have been making I6s throughout their history.
        No it does not, but have you seen what BMW has done with their historical precedent lately?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Doug007 Click here to enlarge
        Have you ever wondered why Mercedes and US automakers had 90 degree V6s instead of the optimal 60 degrees? It's because their engine equipment was set up for 90 degree V8s and it would be too costly to replace the engine building equipment. As wikipedia puts it "90° V6 engines are also produced, usually so they can use the same production-line tooling set up to produce V8 engines (which normally have a 90° V angle)."
        No surprise, but BMW makes decisions like this to save money all the time.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Doug007 Click here to enlarge
        For BMW to go from an I6 to a V6 configuration is stupid. You gain nothing and spend millions! The only advantage is a shorter length. What's the point in that?
        Who knows, new architecture for the future? Let's hope they don't do it but BMW is on a streak of disappointment lately.
      1. bluejeansonfire's Avatar
        bluejeansonfire -
        if bmw goes v6, i quit