Close

    • Motiv Motorsport N54 750 single turbo kit with E50 ethanol and Motiv 900 with E48 ethanol and supplemental port fuel injection single turbo kit dyno overlay

      Motiv Motorsport posted a dyno overlay that provides perspective on the difference between two of their N54 single turbo kits and also the impact of their port injection fueling system. The 750 kit in the graph below is using E50 ethanol without the port injection fuel system.

      The Motiv 900 N54 single turbo kit is using the port injection supplemental fuel system combined with E48 ethanol. The difference between the two is substantial and the supplemental fuel is obviously necessary to hit the figures.

      Motiv 750:

      705 wheel horsepower
      680 lb-ft of wheel torque

      Motiv 900 with supplemental port fuel injection:

      829 wheel horsepower
      781 lb-ft of wheel torque


      This overlay is certainly interesting to see as we already saw the record setting Motiv 900 dynograph which touched off a spirited discussion in the BimmerBoost forums. A video has since been added which is below.

      The automatic transmission is obviously not capable (yet) of reliably handling any of these figures but solutions are being worked on.


      MOTIV 900 Single Turbo Kit
      MOTIV PI-1000 Port Fuel Kit
      MOTIV / FuelIT! Stage 3+ LPFP System
      MOTIV Single Turbo Tuning Solution + COBB AP
      Tuned by Jake@MOTIV
      100% STOCK MOTOR

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Motiv Motorsport N54 750 single turbo kit with E50 ethanol and Motiv 900 with E48 ethanol and supplemental port fuel injection single turbo kit dyno overlay started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 54 Comments
      1. chrisisnapping's Avatar
        chrisisnapping -
        Really impressive.

        Though I am curious to see some 93Oct numbers.
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        I'm really impressed with the spool on the HTA3586r dyno and the curve overall on the somewhat stock fuel system. very impressive car.
      1. 135pats's Avatar
        135pats -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        I'm really impressed with the spool on the HTA3586r dyno and the curve overall on the somewhat stock fuel system. very impressive car.
        Agreed. As much as the PI plot is just beastly, the "standard" 750 plot w factory fuel means business by 4K revs.

        Agh this kit is too rad.
      1. The Ghost's Avatar
        The Ghost -
        Looks good! I'd love to see an overlay of the VTT 2+.
      1. blisstik's Avatar
        blisstik -
        Can someone clarify that the 750 kit dyno didn't have PI installed? I'm assuming stock HPFP and upgraded LPFP?
      1. rader1's Avatar
        rader1 -
        The MOTIV750 pull was WITH the PI system.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
        The MOTIV750 pull was WITH the PI system.
        It's listed as without?
      1. 135pats's Avatar
        135pats -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
        The MOTIV750 pull was WITH the PI system.
        At what power level (broadly speaking) does the motor need PI to really run well?

        This would be on the 750 kit. Just curious Click here to enlarge baby steps for me.
      1. Ingeniator's Avatar
        Ingeniator -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
        At what power level (broadly speaking) does the motor need PI to really run well?

        This would be on the 750 kit. Just curious Click here to enlarge baby steps for me.
        Personally If I was building anything over 550whp. I would use port fueling or shotgun pump. I think the port is especially beneficial to those that still have the stock PCV system.
      1. rader1's Avatar
        rader1 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's listed as without?
        It's just not listed on that particular graph. Testing the kit at that power level is when we figured out the factory fuel pressure regulator had to go.
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
        At what power level (broadly speaking) does the motor need PI to really run well? This would be on the 750 kit. Just curious Click here to enlarge baby steps for me.
        On 93 with a healthy HPFP and beefy low pressure setup 600whp is well within the realm of possibility but not guaranteed. Obviously running an ethanol mix lowers the fuel systems capability in the situation.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
        It's just not listed on that particular graph. Testing the kit at that power level is when we figured out the factory fuel pressure regulator.
        Ok so before I edit would you please give me a complete breakdown on each kit and the specs at the time of testing?

        Additionally, would you please list when the port injection kit becomes necessary and what you figured out regarding the factory fuel pressure regulator?

        If you have some pics of the port injection system that haven't been released as there isn't much it would be good to see as well. Considering that is really the focus here more information if available would be appreciated.
      1. rader1's Avatar
        rader1 -
        Unfortunately I'm stuck at work right now so I can't go into detail. To be short and sweet: over 600whp needs PI. The only difference between the 750 and 900 testing is replacing the FPR with an aftermarket regulator and swapping the 3586 for the 3794.
      1. 135pats's Avatar
        135pats -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ingeniator Click here to enlarge
        Personally If I was building anything over 550whp. I would use port fueling or shotgun pump. I think the port is especially beneficial to those that still have the stock PCV system.
        Ugh...My power goal is more or less 550 on the nose. I don't trust >600 with the 6AT.

        Wonder if the 600 kit with E40 or so would get me there. Or if the 750 kit on pump would be easier on the fuel system.

        Hmmmm.
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
        It's just not listed on that particular graph. Testing the kit at that power level is when we figured out the factory fuel pressure regulator had to go.On 93 with a healthy HPFP and beefy low pressure setup 600whp is well within the realm of possibility but not guaranteed. Obviously running an ethanol mix lowers the fuel systems capability in the situation.
        Roger that - thanks dude. I need to talk to Steve about a more serious LPFP system anyways...My inline is fine for stock frames but why not upgrade it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
        Unfortunately I'm stuck at work right now so I can't go into detail. To be short and sweet: over 600whp needs PI. The only difference between the 750 and 900 testing is replacing the FPR with an aftermarket regulator and swapping the 3586 for the 3794.
        Forum is 24/7, take your time. Better to do it right than fast.

        When you are off work add the details and we'll get it straight.
      1. Tony@VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        Tony@VargasTurboTech -
        From the tank forward since you guys are swapping out regulators I assume all the lines are also being swapped out? Would just like to see what is done to LPFP system so we know what is left stock, I have run both on the shop car, dedicated return style system with regulator etc, I pulled it out and went back to stock, as I wanted to do more testing with the stock regulator in place.
      1. Tony@VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        Tony@VargasTurboTech -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
        Looks good! I'd love to see an overlay of the VTT 2+.
        Your wish is my command. Stage 2+ actual spools faster than a stock M3/4 which is pretty surprising, it also spools a little quicker than the 750 kit, but by 3500RPM the freeer flowing turbo just starts to pull away as expected. The TQ and HP curves are remarkably similar, stage 2+ just makes less power. This Motiv 750 kit, really is quick spooling, with great power, very nice work.Click here to enlarge

      1. Steve@Fuel-It!'s Avatar
        Steve@Fuel-It! -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        From the tank forward since you guys are swapping out regulators I assume all the lines are also being swapped out? Would just like to see what is done to LPFP system so we know what is left stock, I have run both on the shop car, dedicated return style system with regulator etc, I pulled it out and went back to stock, as I wanted to do more testing with the stock regulator in place.
        I would recommend maxing out the stock system first. Once you have done that, then we can help you surpass those limitations. MotiV's system and requirements are a little different so we won't know the limits of your application until you hit that wall. Click here to enlarge
      1. Tony@VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        Tony@VargasTurboTech -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SteveAZ Click here to enlarge
        I would recommend maxing out the stock system first. Once you have done that, then we can help you surpass those limitations. MotiV's system and requirements are a little different so we won't know the limits of your application until you hit that wall. Click here to enlarge
        I have no plans to change anything on the fuel system until it is required. I went down that road too early and was not happy with it, which is why I put things back to stock except for your stage 3 kit. We made 725WHP on a completely stock fuel system except for a modified fuel rail, and Walbro 450, on race gas, I highly doubt we would have been able to do that with Ethanol mixtures, but way back then it was eye opening how capable the stock system was.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        Your wish is my command. Stage 2+ actual spools faster than a stock M3/4 which is pretty surprising, it also spools a little quicker than the 750 kit, but by 3500RPM the freeer flowing turbo just starts to pull away as expected. The TQ and HP curves are remarkably similar, stage 2+ just makes less power. This Motiv 750 kit, really is quick spooling, with great power, very nice work.Click here to enlarge

        Normally I'd like to keep vendors products in separate threads to prevent any stepping on toes but as Motiv hasn't officially set up their profile yet this is within the rules currently.

        Just letting you know for the future though. You understand.
      1. Tony@VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        Tony@VargasTurboTech -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Normally I'd like to keep vendors products separate but as Motiv hasn't offiically set up their profile yet thsi is within the rules.

        Just letting you know for the future though. You understand.
        I totally get it, if this was a vendors thread I would not have posted this. Its honestly just good info, these two products are not really directly competing.