Close

    • DCT Build Part VII - Taking the BMW E92 M3 DCT to the next level, 800+ wheel horsepower clutch disc capacity

      You have seen the DCT taken apart, what it looks like inside, worn clutch discs, and brand new higher capacity clutch discs made. The new discs handle 600+ and 700+ whp respectively. With my power goals, SSP has decided to build a clutch pack that is beyond anything developed at this time for the DCT. What is the power goal? Well, it is beyond what is currently available and SSP is currently developing a clutch disc pack capable of over 800 wheel horsepower.

      How is this being done?

      The current clutch discs are of a thicker material than the stock discs. However, the stock clutch pack has 9 discs in it. By increasing the number of clutch discs they are going to increase the maximum torque capacity. By going to a thicker material and increasing the total number of discs to 11, the DCT in the BMW M3 will be taken to a level no one previously thought was possible. This is going to be similar to the GTR 1000 hp clutch setup by SSP (pictured) but the GTR uses more clutch discs albeit smaller, thinner discs.

      What else is being done and how much time will it take?

      The DCT is going to receive a cooling system based on what SSP has done with the GTR's. This will be a DCT specific application and will be great for the guys who track. No more overheats, no more staying away from the track on hot days. Look for a separate build thread specifically for the cooling system in the next few weeks. Regarding the time period, expect completion next month with the car returning fully assembled and capable of handling the increased power.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 3082 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
        Wheelie bar? Parachute?
        Gun rack.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Gun rack.
      1. Forcefed's Avatar
        Forcefed -
        Any update? ETA?
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
        Any update? ETA?
        I believe he said sometime in Jan.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        I believe he said sometime in Jan.
        Yep. I don't think I have any more patience for anything beyond that.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Yep. I don't think I have any more patience for anything beyond that.
        Could only imagine --- Thinking of going to TX2K13 & showing off?? Maybe built the BB awareness while you're there
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        Could only imagine --- Thinking of going to TX2K13 & showing off?? Maybe built the BB awareness while you're there
        I was calculating fuel costs to tow and it would be like $1200 there and $1200 back. Plus the hotel, fees, etc.

        I mean it's possible but that's not cheap.
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I was calculating fuel costs to tow and it would be like $1200 there and $1200 back. Plus the hotel, fees, etc.

        I mean it's possible but that's not cheap.
        That's a normal cost to this hobby for most racers....and it gets more expensive if you have a motorhome and a stacker.

        This is exactly why it's good to check with race shops before events to share trailer space. Some shops have 3-4 spaces in their rigs...and they don't mind selling them to help cover costs. Just an idea.....
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
        This is exactly why it's good to check with race shops before events to share trailer space. Some shops have 3-4 spaces in their rigs...and they don't mind selling them to help cover costs. Just an idea.....
        This is an excellent suggestion. I'm sure a bunch of shops will be coming out from Cali.

        I will keep it in mind. The issue though is as always the car being done.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I was calculating fuel costs to tow and it would be like $1200 there and $1200 back. Plus the hotel, fees, etc.

        I mean it's possible but that's not cheap.
        Just wait till for now. Shift sector will have another airstrip in feb. I believe. Would love to see it live at the event.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        Just wait till for now. Shift sector will have another airstrip in feb. I believe. Would love to see it live at the event.
        If the car isn't ready by Feb I may just pull the plug. I'm sick and tired of missing events. I'm sick and tired of having to defend the shop. I'm sick and tired of not enjoying the car. Nobody is paying me for my patience while my car sits there losing value.

        I've had about enough... but hopefully January is the end.
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        I don't blame you, I would tell the shop, it's Feb or bust, and not pay full price for a unfinished product if they fail....enough is enough
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I was calculating fuel costs to tow and it would be like $1200 there and $1200 back. Plus the hotel, fees, etc.

        I mean it's possible but that's not cheap.
        Wait? Tow the car?
        Why not just drive it there? Saves you $2400,- minus fuel...
        If it is finished you can drive it around, right?
        Or is it just a purpose build trackcar?
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        If the car isn't ready by Feb I may just pull the plug. I'm sick and tired of missing events. I'm sick and tired of having to defend the shop. I'm sick and tired of not enjoying the car. Nobody is paying me for my patience while my car sits there losing value.

        I've had about enough... but hopefully January is the end.
        I feel you man, I honestly do. There is only so much time you can wait. It's been a long time!
      1. ra2289's Avatar
        ra2289 -
        I think you've been plenty patient with this build, at least with the shop and the constantly extending time line. I think 99% of us on this forum would have been done a long time ago so kudos for sticking with it. I have no monetary investment in this build but I would hate to see you have to just stump it and start all over without ever having received a finish product. A lot of time and money went into this thing I really want to see it finished. So git er done.

        Then come to Vegas and give me a test drive Click here to enlarge
      1. oldgixxer's Avatar
        oldgixxer -
        Sell it,buy a GTR&start driving around and beat-up on some M3's
      1. Sledgehammer's Avatar
        Sledgehammer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        If the car isn't ready by Feb I may just pull the plug. I'm sick and tired of missing events. I'm sick and tired of having to defend the shop. I'm sick and tired of not enjoying the car. Nobody is paying me for my patience while my car sits there losing value.

        I've had about enough... but hopefully January is the end.
        I thought you had the car back based on a prior post or that you were breaking it in? Perhaps I misread something, but whatever. In any case I would move on and be done, you can buy and mod something else that would like be as fast or faster in far less time. I assume you would stay German so no GTR's and American cars are cheap and inferior as you have stated.

        So since money is not an issue for you I would consider the following

        Audi/Stasis R8 (Extreme Challenge model with the supercharged V10) its German, blown and very different. Or a UGR version turnkey and go. Just write the check
        SLS with the Weitec blower setup would be cool as well.

        Otherwise all the usual suspects apply. M6, M5, 997 Turbo, S4, RS4, SL63 or 65, Cl63-65, C63, M3 etc... The new Carrera S is a ball to drive.

        Its unfortunate to hear of your troubles...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
        Wait? Tow the car?
        Why not just drive it there? Saves you $2400,- minus fuel...
        If it is finished you can drive it around, right?
        Or is it just a purpose build trackcar?
        Because I'm not going to put that many miles on my car plus I need tires, supplies, tools, etc.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
        I thought you had the car back based on a prior post or that you were breaking it in? Perhaps I misread something, but whatever.
        They were breaking it in.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
        I assume you would stay German so no GTR's and American cars are cheap and inferior as you have stated.
        You really just don't get it. I built a BMW to build up BimmerBoost. If I launch domesticboost.com any time soon I'll buy a domestic to promote it with. I'm just going to do whatever is best for the sites.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
        So since money is not an issue for you I would consider the following

        Audi/Stasis R8 (Extreme Challenge model with the supercharged V10) its German, blown and very different. Or a UGR version turnkey and go. Just write the check
        SLS with the Weitec blower setup would be cool as well.

        Otherwise all the usual suspects apply. M6, M5, 997 Turbo, S4, RS4, SL63 or 65, Cl63-65, C63, M3 etc... The new Carrera S is a ball to drive.

        Its unfortunate to hear of your troubles...
        Right now I just want this car done. Anything beyond that will come when the time is right. If the car is the way it should be, I won't be looking for anything else for quite a while.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oldgixxer Click here to enlarge
        Sell it,buy a GTR&start driving around and beat-up on some M3's
        When hell freezes over.