Close

    • DCT Build Part VII - Taking the BMW E92 M3 DCT to the next level, 800+ wheel horsepower clutch disc capacity

      You have seen the DCT taken apart, what it looks like inside, worn clutch discs, and brand new higher capacity clutch discs made. The new discs handle 600+ and 700+ whp respectively. With my power goals, SSP has decided to build a clutch pack that is beyond anything developed at this time for the DCT. What is the power goal? Well, it is beyond what is currently available and SSP is currently developing a clutch disc pack capable of over 800 wheel horsepower.

      How is this being done?

      The current clutch discs are of a thicker material than the stock discs. However, the stock clutch pack has 9 discs in it. By increasing the number of clutch discs they are going to increase the maximum torque capacity. By going to a thicker material and increasing the total number of discs to 11, the DCT in the BMW M3 will be taken to a level no one previously thought was possible. This is going to be similar to the GTR 1000 hp clutch setup by SSP (pictured) but the GTR uses more clutch discs albeit smaller, thinner discs.

      What else is being done and how much time will it take?

      The DCT is going to receive a cooling system based on what SSP has done with the GTR's. This will be a DCT specific application and will be great for the guys who track. No more overheats, no more staying away from the track on hot days. Look for a separate build thread specifically for the cooling system in the next few weeks. Regarding the time period, expect completion next month with the car returning fully assembled and capable of handling the increased power.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 3082 Comments
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        I get wholesale rate at my dealer because I've bought so much $#@!. If anyone needs something and is local I'm willing to walk in there with them.
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        I'm excited for you Sticky....it must be very close to being done!
      1. c32AMG-DTM's Avatar
        c32AMG-DTM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Why brag about it? Just relax, I expect completion this month or else I have no idea what the hold up is.
        Sticky, are you still waiting? Any indication from your shop on how close they are to returning your car to you?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
        Sticky, are you still waiting? Any indication from your shop on how close they are to returning your car to you?
        Nope, I'm waiting on a call from Gintani. I texted and called and ran into Alex on the road and he said he would call. I'm still waiting on that call.
      1. c32AMG-DTM's Avatar
        c32AMG-DTM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Nope, I'm waiting on a call from Gintani. I texted and called and ran into Alex on the road and he said he would call. I'm still waiting on that call.
        Sounds good - hope there's news soon. Dynos, subjective feedback, driving impressions, VBOX, whatever you feel appropriate to share. Good luck.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
        Sounds good - hope there's news soon. Dynos, subjective feedback, driving impressions, VBOX, whatever you feel appropriate to share. Good luck.
        I went over today, progress definitely but something I can't mention was not measured right by the shop that provided the part. Basically a critical part was produced slightly out of spec but they are resolving it and it was not just me.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I went over today, progress definitely but something I can't mention was not measured right by the shop that provided the part. Basically a critical part was produced slightly out of spec but they are resolving it and it was not just me.

        I'm going to finish up my math major, do they need someone to help with calculations? lol
      1. e38 prototype's Avatar
        e38 prototype -
        Maybe it's just me.. but how hard is it to make a few -an lines... like seriously?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e38 prototype Click here to enlarge
        Maybe it's just me.. but how hard is it to make a few -an lines... like seriously?
        It isn't lines. Just wait..
      1. c32AMG-DTM's Avatar
        c32AMG-DTM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I went over today, progress definitely but something I can't mention was not measured right by the shop that provided the part. Basically a critical part was produced slightly out of spec....
        To get the replacement part, correctly measured, functioning properly and in-spec... it's already been 10+ days since your visit and it sounded like it was discovered earlier - is this critical part a complex one as well?

        For this to be fixed and up and running... are you looking at weeks? Months?

        I'd bet it's frustrating - hopefully some updates soon.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
        To get the replacement part, correctly measured, functioning properly and in-spec... it's already been 10+ days since your visit and it sounded like it was discovered earlier - is this critical part a complex one as well?

        For this to be fixed and up and running... are you looking at weeks? Months?

        I'd bet it's frustrating - hopefully some updates soon.
        I'm not frustrated it's coming along. When it's done, it's done.

        Nobody else is even addressing this piece of the puzzle. The fabricator is producing the new pieces they may already be in.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        I want to race you when your car is ready.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        I want to race you when your car is ready.
        That's fine, good luck! Click here to enlarge
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That's fine, good luck! Click here to enlarge
        Just for $#@!s and giggles. You'll have a low boost setting right Click here to enlarge
      1. SSO95's Avatar
        SSO95 -
        I haven't read the whole thread, but I know your car was under the knife for quite awhile, but perfection takes time. Not trying to take shots at you, but do you have an ETA on your build? Either way, can't wait to see the results.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Probably a month.

        I'm just going to start saying when it's done.

        Click here to enlarge
      1. inter1032's Avatar
        inter1032 -
        cant believe i havent seen you on the news yet for shooting up a car shop lol
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        I'm patient and know it is in their best interest to complete the car. It will be done relatively soon. It isn't a big deal and then it will be time to go hunting.

        The time is going to fly by especially with all the things I have planned to do over the summer.
      1. singletrack's Avatar
        singletrack -
        "two weeks"

        -Contractor in the "Money Pit".

        Honestly, the involved shops are beginning to embarrass themselves IMHO.

        Hoping things go smoothly for you though.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
        "two weeks"

        -Contractor in the "Money Pit".

        Honestly, the involved shops are beginning to embarrass themselves IMHO.

        Hoping things go smoothly for you though.
        If you can name 1 BMW shop that has done this faster I'm all ears.