• DCT Build Part VII - Taking the BMW E92 M3 DCT to the next level, 800+ wheel horsepower clutch disc capacity

      You have seen the DCT taken apart, what it looks like inside, worn clutch discs, and brand new higher capacity clutch discs made. The new discs handle 600+ and 700+ whp respectively. With my power goals, SSP has decided to build a clutch pack that is beyond anything developed at this time for the DCT. What is the power goal? Well, it is beyond what is currently available and SSP is currently developing a clutch disc pack capable of over 800 wheel horsepower.

      How is this being done?

      The current clutch discs are of a thicker material than the stock discs. However, the stock clutch pack has 9 discs in it. By increasing the number of clutch discs they are going to increase the maximum torque capacity. By going to a thicker material and increasing the total number of discs to 11, the DCT in the BMW M3 will be taken to a level no one previously thought was possible. This is going to be similar to the GTR 1000 hp clutch setup by SSP (pictured) but the GTR uses more clutch discs albeit smaller, thinner discs.

      What else is being done and how much time will it take?

      The DCT is going to receive a cooling system based on what SSP has done with the GTR's. This will be a DCT specific application and will be great for the guys who track. No more overheats, no more staying away from the track on hot days. Look for a separate build thread specifically for the cooling system in the next few weeks. Regarding the time period, expect completion next month with the car returning fully assembled and capable of handling the increased power.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 3082 Comments
      1. GG///M3's Avatar
        GG///M3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
        Answer my question!
        Good question. THATDONFC question for you when are you going to get left4dead 2 on xbox for God's sake?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Of course not, and I like it makes people jealous and angry who can't do it thsemselves.

        Main thing is this is a fun project for BimmerBoost which is my hobby and cost and time is irrelevant. It is something for car enthusiasts to appreciate, not kids who can't drive or mod their own car.
        very good points. hi 5.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
        I agree with you sticky. Not many people understand teh ammount of work it takes to complete something for the first time. Also, something so custom and out of this world.

        So, did you decide on the ysi?
        Nope, not going YSI.
      1. THATDONFC's Avatar
        THATDONFC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Nope, not going YSI.
        Ok then, what are you doing? T-trim? Turbo? Twinscrew? Jetpacks?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
        Ok then, what are you doing? T-trim? Turbo? Twinscrew? Jetpacks?
        I can't say yet.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
        LOL I live with my parents... you are an idot.
        Nobody needs your bitter hate in this thread. Go mod your car when you get your license back and let us know how that goes, okie dokie? I'm sure you will be doing bigger and better things with your awesome 335. Maybe your dad will get a sweet ride you can talk about as well.

        Thread can now get back on topic, thanks.
      1. GG///M3's Avatar
        GG///M3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
        Ok then, what are you doing? T-trim? Turbo? Twinscrew? Jetpacks?
        Now answer my question. We should move the last 8 posts to the chatroom.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
        Now answer my question. We should move the last 8 posts to the chatroom.
        Agreed, going to clean the thread up from the disruptions.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
        Now answer my question. We should move the last 8 posts to the chatroom.
        Like I said, I can't comment on what is being done yet. It will be different from what has been done up to this point.
      1. GG///M3's Avatar
        GG///M3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Like I said, I can't comment on what is being done yet. It will be different from what has been done up to this point.
        My question was off topic and directed towards THATDONFC regarding xbox, and his lack of left4dead2.
      1. THATDONFC's Avatar
        THATDONFC -
        Well I will say this, you are keeping things interesting and holding the suspense. Looks like were just gonna have to wait for the big news. I know you and Gintani won't disappoint. You're car is still being done by Gintani, right?
      1. Steve@SSP's Avatar
        Steve@SSP -
        BY THE WAY!

        This tranny is using our DCT Clutch Discs Upgrade! (which you can find a thread on in the SSP section)

        and im hearing something special is being done to the cooling system... what could that be?

        Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Steve@SSP Click here to enlarge
        BY THE WAY!

        This tranny is using our DCT Clutch Discs Upgrade! (which you can find a thread on in the SSP section)

        and im hearing something special is being done to the cooling system... what could that be?
        Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
        Well I will say this, you are keeping things interesting and holding the suspense. Looks like were just gonna have to wait for the big news. I know you and Gintani won't disappoint. You're car is still being done by Gintani, right?
        Yep, being done by Gintani. What works out in my favor is I am located close to them (just 15 minutes down the 101) so once the car is back I'll be able to take pics for everyone and check in on the progress to better update.

        Unfortunately I'm not close to SSP lol.

        It is going to be a very different build but a difficult one. If this is pulled off, I think everyone is going to shut up real quickly.
      1. akh23456's Avatar
        akh23456 -
        is your motor being built right now or after your dct build is done?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by akh23456 Click here to enlarge
        is your motor being built right now or after your dct build is done?
        Motor has already been built.
      1. V12Godspeed's Avatar
        V12Godspeed -
        Very nice build! Man you are just like me. Patience is key and at the end you will be victorious. Ignore the negativity and keep plucking away. Best of luck and can't wait to see this finished.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V12Godspeed Click here to enlarge
        Very nice build! Man you are just like me. Patience is key and at the end you will be victorious. Ignore the negativity and keep plucking away. Best of luck and can't wait to see this finished.
        Appreciate it, thank you.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Motor has already been built.
        then whats the freakin hold-up where do we sit currently..

        (yes, I said "WE" and you know why that is...)
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        then whats the freakin hold-up where do we sit currently..

        (yes, I said "WE" and you know why that is...)
        Didn't you read this post? http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...423#post115423

        Just waiting on SSP to wrap their end up and the car will get back here for the motor install, + something cool, + tuning, and hopefully it all goes well.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Didn't you read this post? http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...423#post115423

        Just waiting on SSP to wrap their end up and the car will get back here for the motor install, + something cool, + tuning, and hopefully it all goes well.
        well i did now..

        good to see progress being made on my car.. so are we thinking about 2 more months?..