Close

    • DCT Build Part VII - Taking the BMW E92 M3 DCT to the next level, 800+ wheel horsepower clutch disc capacity

      You have seen the DCT taken apart, what it looks like inside, worn clutch discs, and brand new higher capacity clutch discs made. The new discs handle 600+ and 700+ whp respectively. With my power goals, SSP has decided to build a clutch pack that is beyond anything developed at this time for the DCT. What is the power goal? Well, it is beyond what is currently available and SSP is currently developing a clutch disc pack capable of over 800 wheel horsepower.

      How is this being done?

      The current clutch discs are of a thicker material than the stock discs. However, the stock clutch pack has 9 discs in it. By increasing the number of clutch discs they are going to increase the maximum torque capacity. By going to a thicker material and increasing the total number of discs to 11, the DCT in the BMW M3 will be taken to a level no one previously thought was possible. This is going to be similar to the GTR 1000 hp clutch setup by SSP (pictured) but the GTR uses more clutch discs albeit smaller, thinner discs.

      What else is being done and how much time will it take?

      The DCT is going to receive a cooling system based on what SSP has done with the GTR's. This will be a DCT specific application and will be great for the guys who track. No more overheats, no more staying away from the track on hot days. Look for a separate build thread specifically for the cooling system in the next few weeks. Regarding the time period, expect completion next month with the car returning fully assembled and capable of handling the increased power.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 3082 Comments
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Awww he goes to this now. I wish I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth and nobody is handing me anything. I work every step of the way every single day with my own hands thank you very much. You would think you could appreciate that but as I told you a long time ago your opinion really holds little weight with me if any at this point.
        Im envious, I wish I had parents who gave me an education and opportunities you had.

        Have a good Easter diaper boy
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        Have a good Easter diaper boy
        That's a great insult Earl, it's really devastating lol. Happy Easter.
      1. Torgus's Avatar
        Torgus -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        Im envious, I wish I had parents who gave me an education and opportunities you had.
        Hopefully someday you can give your children what your parents didn't give you: Manners.

        Seriously you come in here mouthing off about how you worked harder, was never given anything, older, wiser, calling people names, etc. etc. Seriously? Is that the kind of person you? Do you really need to turn things into an online competition to make you feel better about yourself? Given how old you say you are you act like someone who is much younger.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        Im envious, I wish I had parents who gave me an education and opportunities you had.
        I'm fortunate in the education respect and being in this country, absolutely. But unless you spent your childhood in a concentration camp during World War II like my father did I really don't think you had it all that rough.
      1. Blitz535i's Avatar
        Blitz535i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        But unless you spent your childhood in a concentration camp during World War II like my father did I really don't think you had it all that rough.
        And he lived to tell about it and raise a family; he's a fortunate soul.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blitz535i Click here to enlarge
        And he lived to tell about it and raise a family; he's a fortunate soul.
        Absolutely. And for people on forums to lecture me about how 'hard' they supposedly had it and had to work. Please.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Back on topic. @Sticky, if your car is ready and running for the airstrip. Will you be able to dyno on the low boost setting so we can all see where you're at? Like a good ol third party dynojet dyno?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Of course I will dyno it. New e9x record on break in boost lol.
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
        Hopefully someday you can give your children what your parents didn't give you: Manners.

        Seriously you come in here mouthing off about how you worked harder, was never given anything, older, wiser, calling people names, etc. etc. Seriously? Is that the kind of person you? Do you really need to turn things into an online competition to make you feel better about yourself? Given how old you say you are you act like someone who is much younger.
        This all started by ribbing Joe and his build. No competition from me as I feel great about myself and dont need to put anyone down to feel good. i am a little fish in a big pond and keep it that way. Never said I worked harder by any stretch.

        i will be the first one to say congrats to Joe as this is a good website he has. ultimately these little online tiffs are great for his hit count.

        anyways out to to the track to play....later
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Dude Sticky is not making the Shift Sector event, it's Friday afternoon and his car is not running, do you really think that the slow asses at Gintani can get it running, tunned and broken in before Sticky will need to head out to the event next Friday afternoon?

        Another week gone and the car has not even fired yet, good god.....
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Dude Sticky is not making the Shift Sector event, it's Friday afternoon and his car is not running, do you really think that the slow asses at Gintani can get it running, tunned and broken in before Sticky will need to head out to the event next Friday afternoon?

        Another week gone and the car has not even fired yet, good god.....
        I think it might just happen man. Good for him if it does you know. Then we can start seeing what his car actually does and even if it is on low boost.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Dude Sticky is not making the Shift Sector event, it's Friday afternoon and his car is not running, do you really think that the slow asses at Gintani can get it running, tunned and broken in before Sticky will need to head out to the event next Friday afternoon?

        Another week gone and the car has not even fired yet, good god.....
        How stupid do you really want to look?
      1. Autobahn335i's Avatar
        Autobahn335i -
        Hmm one whole page and no new reply from JRCART. I take it he got banned from the thread? Too bad, takes away from the entertainment factor here Click here to enlarge
      1. Autobahn335i's Avatar
        Autobahn335i -
        Ah, there he is again. Missed it lol
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        I think it might just happen man. Good for him if it does you know. Then we can start seeing what his car actually does and even if it is on low boost.
        Nothing wrong with being optimistic I suppose, I am more of a realist however.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Well it's running so realitistically you might want to wait until friday is over on the west coast before making blanket comments. And im sorry will suffice.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Well it's running so realitistically you might want to wait until friday is over on the west coast before making blanket comments. And im sorry will suffice.
        Congrats....see you next Saturday then.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Congrats....see you next Saturday then.
        Oh hurray!
      1. lughed's Avatar
        lughed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        How stupid are you? I have been letting everyone know sorry if you can't keep up due to all the idiots pissing and moaning about the past and build time. Blah blah blah it took so long blah blah blah. We'll see what they say when struggling with an M3 on low boost.
        No, how stupid are you? You cant even answer a simple request for the current status of you car. Has it started, simple yes or no answer. Even a stupid person can answer that. I can care less about what these guys say but some how i get the notion that even you feel there is truth to what they are saying and you are trying to figure a way out without making yourself or Gintani look worse than it already is. I know your going to deny it but maybe if you were a little more of a man about it you wouldnt have to come on here and ask people not to tarnish your and your builder's reputation.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
        No, how stupid are you? You cant even answer a simple request for the current status of you car. Has it started, simple yes or no answer. Even a stupid person can answer that. I can care less about what these guys say but some how i get the notion that even you feel there is truth to what they are saying and you are trying to figure a way out without making yourself or Gintani look worse than it already is. I know your going to deny it but maybe if you were a little more of a man about it you wouldnt have to come on here and ask people not to tarnish your and your builder's reputation.
        You are probably correct on your hunch, I get the same feeling. That being said you should probably expect to be hit with Stick's rep stick today, how dare you question the dicator or speak ill of Gintani.

        I can not wait to run him with BOTH of my cars at Shift Sector, he will be knocked back down to earth very very quickly.