• BMW to supply motors for Saab 9-3 and potentially future Saab models

      Saab has confirmed reports that they have been seeking BMW powerplants for the 9-3. The most difficult thing for a small producer is to have engines that meet tightening emissions regulations. For Saab, having BMW supply the motors makes sense as it would cut a significant cost in automobile production. To just put it bluntly, BMW makes better motors than Saab and probably has a bigger budget for windshield wipers than Saab does for motors. Spyker, the parent company of Saab, is set to announce the deal at the Paris Motorshow. N55 SAAB 9-3 anyone?

      “Spyker Cars N.V., a holding company that owns subsidiaries which produce and sell premium automobiles under the Saab and Spyker brands, has noted recent press speculation about the possible supply relationship with BMW,” Spyker said in a statement. “The Group confirms that talks are ongoing and will give further details once a final agreement has been reached.”
      This article was originally published in forum thread: BMW to supply motors for Saab 9-3 and potentially future Saab models started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 9 Comments
      1. encinitas's Avatar
        encinitas -
        I will most likely be the only one on here that likes a Saab wagon. I really wish that BMW would bring a three series n54 / n55 turbo to the states that is a wagon.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by encinitas Click here to enlarge
        I will most likely be the only one on here that likes a Saab wagon. I really wish that BMW would bring a three series n54 / n55 turbo to the states that is a wagon.
        I don't understand why they don't, is the 5 not available as a wagon either? May have to check.
      1. e92's Avatar
        e92 -
        from what i have read, they may do diesel engines and 4cyl engines for a Saab 9-2 also.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
        from what i have read, they may do diesel engines and 4cyl engines for a Saab 9-2 also.
        This is true, some 222 hp motor was rumored.
      1. Itsbrokeagain's Avatar
        Itsbrokeagain -
        they should have kept it the Saabaru. My friend has a 9-2x wagon with the WRX drivetrain underneath. I like it a lot more over the regular WRX..got power with some class behind it.


        So Saab has used Subaru, GM, and now BMW. I wonder whats next?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
        So Saab has used Subaru, GM, and now BMW. I wonder whats next?
        Bankruptcy
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Looks like the deal will be for 1.6 liter turbo 4 cylinders.
      1. 62Lincoln's Avatar
        62Lincoln -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I don't understand why they don't, is the 5 not available as a wagon either? May have to check.
        IIRC, BMW discontinued the 5 wagon in favor of the various SUV behemoths.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 62Lincoln Click here to enlarge
        IIRC, BMW discontinued the 5 wagon in favor of the various SUV behemoths.
        Ugh, big surprise.