• BMW teases the E82 1 series M Coupe

      BMW released a new video teaser of the production 1 M coupe. This is the automotive equivalent of a fully covered beautiful woman undressing only enough to show you her ankle.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: BMW teases the E82 1 series M Coupe started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 37 Comments
      1. ScrotieMcBoogerBalls's Avatar
        ScrotieMcBoogerBalls -
        Thats a disappointment. It will be a good car, but recycling teh n54 is horse $#@!.
        Plus, you now it will bbe a PITA to mod.
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Oops, I just looked for N54.
        So do you agree, both the N54 and N55 have a single pipe near the back on a 135i, and that is not really an indicator of which engine will be used?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
        So do you agree, both the N54 and N55 have a single pipe near the back on a 135i, and that is not really an indicator of which engine will be used?
        Well, I don't see any secondary piping it just looks like one big piece. We really just don't know, certainly could be either or.
      1. Fuerza's Avatar
        Fuerza -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by unfor Click here to enlarge
        Thats a disappointment. It will be a good car, but recycling teh n54 is horse $#@!.
        Plus, you now it will bbe a PITA to mod.
        Why do you think that? The N54 R&D is in full swing with the 335i and 135i cars. I have thought about this during lunch and the idea that I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel on tuning and some aftermarket basics will be nice IMO.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adgar Click here to enlarge
        Why do you think that? The N54 R&D is in full swing with the 335i and 135i cars. I have thought about this during lunch and the idea that I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel on tuning and some aftermarket basics will be nice IMO.
        It definitely will make it easier to mod but BMW essentially would be giving you an N54 with a tune. Complete sell out and marketing, no special motor as M's have always had. Basically, it would be a cop out.
      1. ScrotieMcBoogerBalls's Avatar
        ScrotieMcBoogerBalls -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adgar Click here to enlarge
        Why do you think that? The N54 R&D is in full swing with the 335i and 135i cars. I have thought about this during lunch and the idea that I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel on tuning and some aftermarket basics will be nice IMO.
        Because look at the N55 platform. BMW added some new tricks to make it harded to modifiy. I'm sure there will be new parameters in place that will make it very hard to modify.
        This car is basically just a 335is
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        All the n54 needs is bigger turbos. Hell some of the guys here are pushing 17-18psi on pump gas with maxed out timing. Give the m a n54 with a two bigger turbos or 1 big turbo and it will make power till redline all day long.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        All the n54 needs is bigger turbos. Hell some of the guys here are pushing 17-18psi on pump gas with maxed out timing. Give the m a n54 with a two bigger turbos or 1 big turbo and it will make power till redline all day long.
        Fine, that works. BMW should at least give this motor a different freaking turbo, at least that.
      1. ScrotieMcBoogerBalls's Avatar
        ScrotieMcBoogerBalls -
        Yeppers. I agree with you Sticky.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by unfor Click here to enlarge
        Because look at the N55 platform. BMW added some new tricks to make it harded to modifiy. I'm sure there will be new parameters in place that will make it very hard to modify.
        This car is basically just a 335is
        I wouldn't say, it is basically a 335is.

        It is more like a shorter wheelbase M3, with less HP.

        Lets not forget about driving dynamics and the large amount of M3 parts swapped over.

        This thing will most likely be the best handling BMW you can buy.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        Lets not forget about driving dynamics and the large amount of M3 parts swapped over.

        This thing will most likely be the best handling BMW you can buy.
        It will be the best handling, but it won't have a motor that lives up to what an M car should get.

        Won't be like an M3, it will be different.
      1. Fuerza's Avatar
        Fuerza -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It definitely will make it easier to mod but BMW essentially would be giving you an N54 with a tune. Complete sell out and marketing, no special motor as M's have always had. Basically, it would be a cop out.
        Yes and no IMO. The car would be a tuned M N54. Don't the S54 and M54 share some characteristics? M cars are also more than just a motor. Brakes, LSD, handling are all parts of the M car, if M engineers fail on the handling and balance of the 1M then yes, its a cop out.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adgar Click here to enlarge
        Yes and no IMO. The car would be a tuned M N54. Don't the S54 and M54 share some characteristics? M cars are also more than just a motor. Brakes, LSD, handling are all parts of the M car, if M engineers fail on the handling and balance of the 1M then yes, its a cop out.
        The S54 and M54 and radically different, way more so than just an N54 with a more aggressive tune vs. regular tune.

        Yes, brakes, LSD, handling are all part of it and can just go in an M-sport package can't they?
      1. Fuerza's Avatar
        Fuerza -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The S54 and M54 and radically different, way more so than just an N54 with a more aggressive tune vs. regular tune.

        Yes, brakes, LSD, handling are all part of it and can just go in an M-sport package can't they?
        The M sport packages I have seen are more cosmetic than functional performance. The true test will have to be a 135i vs 1M coupe. We shall see.....
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adgar Click here to enlarge
        The M sport packages I have seen are more cosmetic than functional performance. The true test will have to be a 135i vs 1M coupe. We shall see.....
        From what I have been hearing about the motor lately I think it may be slightly special now. We will certainly see.
      1. ScrotieMcBoogerBalls's Avatar
        ScrotieMcBoogerBalls -
        What have you been hearing?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by unfor Click here to enlarge
        What have you been hearing?
        I'll make a thread on my impressions soon.