Close

    • HPF E46 M3 Turbo Stage 2.5 vs. Gintani Stage 2+ Supercharged E92 DCT M3

      The race we have been waiting for. A HPF Stage 2.5 E46 M3 takes on a Gintani Stage 2+ DCT E92 M3.

      Did some duns with Drew down in Mexico. Great times! Both cars on 91+Meth. Enjoy!

      This article was originally published in forum thread: HPF Stage 2.5 vs. Gintani Stage 2+ started by MSpiredM3 View original post
      Comments 18 Comments
      1. DLSJ5's Avatar
        DLSJ5 -
        Good times Mikey! Click here to enlarge

        J - I think that's a good assesment, we will do some runs with Mike on race fuel/meth as well.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLSJ5 Click here to enlarge
        I think that's a good assesment, we will do some runs with Mike on race fuel/meth as well.
        Yes, I think that will definitely really show the HPF cars strength.
      1. oddjob2021's Avatar
        oddjob2021 -
        is there anymore you plan to do to your car drew? its already damn fast if you're keeping up with hpf cars. nice runs. i love to see close races.
      1. MSpiredM3's Avatar
        MSpiredM3 -
        Thanks guys!

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Looks like it was close enough that if the E92 got the jump it would hold off and if the E46 got the jump it would pull. Seems to me it is very close but the HPF car is clearly making some more hp as you can tell in some of the pulls.
        I don't think it had to do with who got the jump, but more about traction. IIRC the ones where I was fell behind is when I didn't get 100% traction and had to short shift 3rd a little bit.

        I agree, in the higher gears, after we both had shifted, I would be slightly crawling forward
      1. mpoweroo1's Avatar
        mpoweroo1 -
        Nice vid guys. That Gintani kit is a great bang for your $ kit!
      1. GG///M3's Avatar
        GG///M3 -
        maybe iz good movie
      1. rt turbo's Avatar
        rt turbo -
        So, what is the common denominator here? I mean, the E92 is making almost 200 ft/lbs less torque and weighs more. Im guessing its the gearing of the E92 that is helping it rocket to the HPF's range? And it seems it also has the traction to fully use the high gear ratio?

        I mean, E36 guys typically poke fun at the HPF car's lack of torque comparatively, and the E92 makes way less than them... But they are still very fast as you can see.

        Its impressive, and if that is the case, imagine what some of these turbo E46/E36's could do with similar gearing and traction.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSpiredM3 Click here to enlarge
        Thanks guys!



        I don't think it had to do with who got the jump, but more about traction. IIRC the ones where I was fell behind is when I didn't get 100% traction and had to short shift 3rd a little bit.

        I agree, in the higher gears, after we both had shifted, I would be slightly crawling forward
        Sorry if I missed it, what tire setup were you running? The DR's?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rt turbo Click here to enlarge
        So, what is the common denominator here? I mean, the E92 is making almost 200 ft/lbs less torque and weighs more. Im guessing its the gearing of the E92 that is helping it rocket to the HPF's range? And it seems it also has the traction to fully use the high gear ratio?

        I mean, E36 guys typically poke fun at the HPF car's lack of torque comparatively, and the E92 makes way less than them... But they are still very fast as you can see.

        Its impressive, and if that is the case, imagine what some of these turbo E46/E36's could do with similar gearing and traction.
        This is what people don't get, torque doesn't win the race. The E92 doesn't need big torque when it revs as high as it does with as flat of a torque curve as it has. Peak torque up top at 8400 rpm makes great HP multiplication. Additionally, DCT makes a huge impact. It really is amazing.

        Yes, the car is impressive.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rt turbo Click here to enlarge
        So, what is the common denominator here? I mean, the E92 is making almost 200 ft/lbs less torque and weighs more. Im guessing its the gearing of the E92 that is helping it rocket to the HPF's range? And it seems it also has the traction to fully use the high gear ratio?

        I mean, E36 guys typically poke fun at the HPF car's lack of torque comparatively, and the E92 makes way less than them... But they are still very fast as you can see.

        Its impressive, and if that is the case, imagine what some of these turbo E46/E36's could do with similar gearing and traction.
        exactly what i was thinking, its more than just hp/tq #'s coming into play, espcially for rolling runs. the more i see s/c M's the more i like them. HPF's are badass as well, neither fits my needs for a practical car, but i would like to get a s/c S65 in the near future, as i like the E92 styling much better than E46. Performance being as close as it gets, might as well go with the better tranny and interior as well Click here to enlarge
      1. rt turbo's Avatar
        rt turbo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        This is what people don't get, torque doesn't win the race. The E92 doesn't need big torque when it revs as high as it does with as flat of a torque curve as it has. Peak torque up top at 8400 rpm makes great HP multiplication. Additionally, DCT makes a huge impact. It really is amazing.

        Yes, the car is impressive.
        Well, torque doesnt always win if there is another part of the equation that is tipping the scales. That DCT is pretty impressive. I do think that was a big impact in this race. still impressive what these sc e92's do... or at least gintanis, the ess seems somewhat lack luster compared.
      1. MSpiredM3's Avatar
        MSpiredM3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rt turbo Click here to enlarge
        So, what is the common denominator here? I mean, the E92 is making almost 200 ft/lbs less torque and weighs more. Im guessing its the gearing of the E92 that is helping it rocket to the HPF's range? And it seems it also has the traction to fully use the high gear ratio?

        I mean, E36 guys typically poke fun at the HPF car's lack of torque comparatively, and the E92 makes way less than them... But they are still very fast as you can see.

        Its impressive, and if that is the case, imagine what some of these turbo E46/E36's could do with similar gearing and traction.
        IMO the DCT tranny is the main ingredient, and the slightly higher redline helps as well. Drew is also getting 100% traction in 3rd gear everytime, I would slightly spin on some runs.

        It all makes sense though, Drew trapped 131mph with is setup, pretty much exactly what I would expect my car to trap on pump and meth at a track like Fomosa.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Sorry if I missed it, what tire setup were you running? The DR's?
        Yes, I was running the DR's.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        exactly what i was thinking, its more than just hp/tq #'s coming into play, espcially for rolling runs. the more i see s/c M's the more i like them. HPF's are badass as well, neither fits my needs for a practical car, but i would like to get a s/c S65 in the near future, as i like the E92 styling much better than E46. Performance being as close as it gets, might as well go with the better tranny and interior as well Click here to enlarge
        No doubt the e92's with the Gintani kit is very impressive, especially for a bolt on kit and a stock motor, but don't forget I still have my higher power setting to play with Click here to enlarge
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        very true, but my situation wouldnt call for much more than what either of yours are producing on pump meth. but to have the added power that you do have, would be very very nice Click here to enlarge should have done a vid of that, just because Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        very true, but my situation wouldnt call for much more than what either of yours are producing on pump meth. but to have the added power that you do have, would be very very nice Click here to enlarge should have done a vid of that, just because Click here to enlarge
        Heh, easy to say, never enough power.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        oh i know, at first a JB2 was enough for me Click here to enlarge

        when can we expect a racegas/meth rematch?
      1. MSpiredM3's Avatar
        MSpiredM3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Heh, easy to say, never enough power.
        It's NEVER enough! I already want stage 3!

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        oh i know, at first a JB2 was enough for me Click here to enlarge

        when can we expect a racegas/meth rematch?
        IDK when, I think I have something wrong with my rear diff that I need to figure out Click here to enlarge
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        very nice vid and that gintani performs wonderfully!
      1. 05m3smg's Avatar
        05m3smg -
        Click here to enlarge Nice race. Both are definately monsters.