• How big of a difference does E85 tuning make on a naturally aspirated port injection motor? Willall Racing Porsche 996 GT3 RSR E85 tune

      E85 has a great reputation in automotive tuning due to how well performance motors respond on the fuel. E85 is often seen in forced induction and direct injection setups where its detonation resistance and cooling effects have multiple benefits. How about E85 on a high compression, high revving, port injection motor? Well the results are below show exactly that with Willall Racing doing an E85 tune on a Porsche 996 GT3 RSR GT series 3.6 liter flat-6.


      Keep in mind this is a race motor. However, the flat-6 used is very similar to what Porsche GT3's for street duty would see although obviously with lower redlines and associated component changes for racing. That said, what applies here woudl also apply to the very similar 996 GT3 3.6 liter flat-6 GT1 racing block based street car.

      The baseline shows 326.4 peak horsepower at the wheels. After the E85 tune this rises to 371.9 horsepower at the wheels. A gain of 45.5 horsepower as shown on the Mainline Dyno. Those are impressive gains for E85 and a tune.

      The baseline dyno shows the engine revving close to 10k rpm which drops in the tuned graph as the gear ratios also were changed. This does affect how the curve is displayed on the graph. Regardless, these are impressive results on what is already a high strung motor.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: How big of a difference does E85 tuning make on a naturally aspirated port injection motor? Willall Racing Porsche 996 GT3 RSR E85 tune started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 10 Comments
      1. boostedmaserati's Avatar
        boostedmaserati -
        I've always wondered about this. I guess you can run a lot more timing on E85 in an NA motor so this makes sense
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boostedmaserati Click here to enlarge
        I've always wondered about this. I guess you can run a lot more timing on E85 in an NA motor so this makes sense
        You sure can.
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        Seriously...E85 is one of the best things that has ever happened to car enthusiasts...subsidized race gas, practically.
      1. onisyndicate's Avatar
        onisyndicate -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        Seriously...E85 is one of the best things that has ever happened to car enthusiasts...subsidized race gas, practically.

        Yeah that's pretty much the best way to explain E85. It's great for performance but beyond that it's $#@!!
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
        Yeah that's pretty much the best way to explain E85. It's great for performance but beyond that it's $#@!!
        Yeah basically. Also the fact that it is subsidized does make my blood boil. Nothing like some good old interventionist economics to mess up supply and demand. But I digress.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Only drawbacks: need an upgraded fueling system, MPG goes to $#@! (which is a problem for an enduro/track car), and you're gonna need to regularly run lubricants to protect the injectors/internals.


        Otherwise, E85 is well worth it. Basically gonna need a VP Import/C16 to get similar performance gains, and you can kiss your o2 sensors & wallet good bye with that stuff.
      1. VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        VargasTurboTech -
        This is a surprise why? You are adding octane, cylinder cooling, and detonation resistance. Now retune with a much higher threshold for these 3 things and voila you gain HP. No magic kids, E85 isn't magic juice, its a cheaper less consistent version of Race Gas which would give you the same gains. Its just we can get it at the pump for less than premium...Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        This is a surprise why? You are adding octane, cylinder cooling, and detonation resistance. Now retune with a much higher threshold for these 3 things and voila you gain HP. No magic kids, E85 isn't magic juice, its a cheaper less consistent version of Race Gas which would give you the same gains. Its just we can get it at the pump for less than premium...Click here to enlarge
        It's surprising because it's done on a naturally aspirated GT3 RSR that already runs race gas and it's tune only.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's surprising because it's done on a naturally aspirated GT3 RSR that already runs race gas and it's tune only.
        Well it's not like there are worthwhile gains with GT3 bolt-ons (especially when you consider the price of mods). If anything, this E85 retune has probably been the most worthwhile mod I've seen.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        Well it's not like there are worthwhile gains with GT3 bolt-ons (especially when you consider the price of mods). If anything, this E85 retune has probably been the most worthwhile mod I've seen.
        Ok?