Close

    • Video of BMW flogging the upcoming F22 M235 2-Series on the Nurburgring

      The upcoming F22 M235i is going to be a very desirable model from BMW. It will be more affordable than a 3-Series and lighter. It will come with a 6-speed manual. It will have the N55 turbocharged inline-6 powerplant which means easy tuning. It is essentially the return of the drivers BMW and the closest successor to the E82 1M (and thankfully not named as absurdly). It even looks great as it has been spotted basically undisguised.


      It is nice to see BMW doing hardcore track testing as limp mode issues due to the turbo powerplants are a big issue with the current iteration of BMW's. It is almost as if BMW forgot that real sustained driving performance is part of the Ultimate Driving Machine equation.

      Expect the F22 M235i to mirror the F20 M135i drivetrain. It is also reasonable to expect a powerkit for the car just like the F30 has available thanks to the optional M Performance Parts. That also likely means the M Performance optioned car will likely be the CLA45 AMG and Audi RS3 competitor rather than a from the ground up designed M2.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Video of BMW flogging the upcoming F22 M235 2-Seriesi on the Nurburgring started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 56 Comments
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Yeah, I am starting to really doubt the rumors of a future M2.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        Yeah, I am starting to really doubt the rumors of a future M2.
        I mean what would it have? Different bodywork?
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        Yeah, I am starting to really doubt the rumors of a future M2.
        I think...or at least I hope they do. I think the 2 series is the new bmw enthusiasts car...the old 3 series.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        What would the M2 be though? The performance software on the M235i will put it in the 340 range so what would the M2 be?
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        What would the M2 be though? The performance software on the M235i will put it in the 340 range so what would the M2 be?
        I dont know....380hp detuned M4 engine? Who knows...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        I dont know....380hp detuned M4 engine? Who knows...
        Doubt that.
      1. rppwm3's Avatar
        rppwm3 -
        Looks like the M235i is shaping up to be a pretty good car. Rumor is that the target for the M235i was to beat the 1M's ring time. I think the M2 may have a 4 cylinder turbo engine based on the current N20 but tuned by the M Division similarly to the S55 compared to the N55. BMW would promote the better weight distribution/weight reduction that would be the result of moving to the 4 cylinder for the M model. BMW might be still deciding between a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engine for the M2 though as it is confusing for the consumer for the M model to have fewer cylinders than the M235i.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rppwm3 Click here to enlarge
        I think the M2 may have a 4 cylinder turbo engine based on the current N20 but tuned by the M Division similarly to the S55 compared to the N55.
        I really, really like this idea but with the N55 from the factory at 340 horsepower and BMW saving costs everywhere what are the chances?
      1. rppwm3's Avatar
        rppwm3 -
        I think the M2 will only make marginally more power than the 1m maybe 350-360 and weigh between 3150-3250 and the dynamic element of the car will be the selling point really targeting enthusiasts with a similar marketing strategy to the 1M without the limited production.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I really, really like this idea but with the N55 from the factory at 340 horsepower and BMW saving costs everywhere what are the chances?
        I wouldn't mind this if they could combine the weight savings of the 4 banger over the 6 with the rumored weight savings that are being used on the M4. It could possibly weigh less than 2900 lbs(400lbs less than the 1M). With that weight they wouldn't need much over 330-340hp stock.
      1. rppwm3's Avatar
        rppwm3 -
        That would be ideal but the estimated pricing for the M2 might make it impossible to achieve that level of weight savings
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rppwm3 Click here to enlarge
        That would be ideal but the estimated pricing for the M2 might make it impossible to achieve that level of weight savings
        True...just throwing out ideas. It would be nice though. Does anyone know the weight difference between the n20 compared to n55?
      1. Mike@VAC's Avatar
        Mike@VAC -
        MMMMMMMMM loving the 2. I don't want a car payment, but this could be tempting!
      1. Nugs's Avatar
        Nugs -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It is nice to see BMW doing hardcore track testing as limp mode issues due to the turbo powerplants are a big issue with the current iteration of BMW's. It is almost as if BMW forgot that real sustained driving performance is part of the Ultimate Driving Machine equation.
        I've done about a dozen track days in a N55 135i (stock and tuned) and never had a limp issue. Only thing that's gone wrong is a dead water pump.
      1. Mike@VAC's Avatar
        Mike@VAC -
        Yea, our N55 track day dudes have no problems at all with their cars.
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
        I've done about a dozen track days in a N55 135i (stock and tuned) and never had a limp issue. Only thing that's gone wrong is a dead water pump.
        The N55 limp mode thing really has me confused. I had my 135i tuned to 14+ psi for over 40,000 miles including track days (in the 105+ degree California desert!) canyon runs, etc. and it never gave me a single problem. Then last month my friend bought an F30 335i and his car went into limp mode cruising on the freeway with only 2,000 miles on the clock and, after three weeks, BMW still can't figure out what's wrong with it.

        Bimmerpost quoted someone at M (I think it was Dr. Nitschke, the head of M) saying that the M235i will have an LSD although it wasn't clear from the translation if he meant it would have it standard or if it would be optional. That's truly exciting.

        I hope BMW does make a full-on M2 and I hope they just stick the F80 M3's motor in there. Nobody ever had a problem with the Z3 and Z4 M Coupes using E36 and E46 M3 motors (the Z4 M even had 10 extra horsepower!) so I don't see why the M2 has to be hamstrung with a smaller motor just because it's a smaller car. Obviously a straight six twin turbo will fit in there, so either give it the same motor as the M3/M4 (and price it close) so people can choose a bigger, slightly more luxurious car or a smaller, faster one OR detune the motor slightly through software like AMG did with the C63 compared to other M156-powered cars. I know there are some nerds who will be upset that their M3 or M4 isn't superior to the M2 (if they get the same motor) but those people can go $#@! themselves, I want a 400+ horsepower M2!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        Z3 and Z4 M Coupes using E36 and E46 M3 motors
        That's different though. Nobody would have a problem with the Z4 using the M3 motor but they would have a problem with a cheaper car offering the same motor or else why not just give the M3 the V10?
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That's different though. Nobody would have a problem with the Z4 using the M3 motor but they would have a problem with a cheaper car offering the same motor or else why not just give the M3 the V10?
        I should probably explain that I disagree with the entire idea that smaller cars should necessarily be cheaper, I would prefer a world in which I could get a 1, 3, 5, or 7 series size vehicle and then choose how much or how little equipment I want on it. Why should really nice leather, ventilated seats, etc. be exclusive to the bigger cars? I would love to be able to get an M2 loaded up with Nappa / Merino leather, ventilated seats, a Bang & Olufsen sound system, etc. I don't understand why I'm not allowed to pay for these options just because I prefer to have a smaller, more nimble car.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        I should probably explain that I disagree with the entire idea that smaller cars should necessarily be cheaper, I would prefer a world in which I could get a 1, 3, 5, or 7 series size vehicle and then choose how much or how little equipment I want on it. Why should really nice leather, ventilated seats, etc. be exclusive to the bigger cars? I would love to be able to get an M2 loaded up with Nappa / Merino leather, ventilated seats, a Bang & Olufsen sound system, etc. I don't understand why I'm not allowed to pay for these options just because I prefer to have a smaller, more nimble car.
        I don't disagree with your premise but BMW and Porsche in particular force a model hierarchy based on horsepower and price. It's a bit outdated and forced.
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I mean what would it have? Different bodywork?
        different bodywork, M4 suspension, lighter (a la M4 vs 435i)... brakes... i guess maybe an S-motor, or the 1/2er thing could be production motors with M everything else

        and keep it as 1M and 2M, not M1 and M2... a minor yet important distinction IMO

        that's the way to go i think... unless they really don't mind the baby m's being faster than the M3 hands down?


        identical suspension/width, less weight, less power (but who cares when you can tune it to 'too much' anyway.

        just do what they did with the 1M, but don't call it an M2.. call it a 2M! done.