• Porsche 981 Cayman S with PDK compared to the Lotus Evora S with laptime

      Here is a video comparison from Auto Express pitting the new 981 Cayman S with PDK against the Lotus Evora S. Auto Express comparos are usually devoid of much useful data or insight so it is nice to see them at least get laptimes for these two cars. These two vehicles both have mid-engine six cylinder power plants and send their power to the rear wheels. The Lotus however features a supercharged 3.5 liter V6 with 350 horsepower versus the Cayman S naturally aspirated 3.4 liter flat-6 with 325 horsepower.

      Bigger motor for the Evora with a blower, should be no contest. The PDK trans really helps the Cayman S out with efficiency compared to the traditional manual in the Evora S and it is also 189 pounds lighter. The Cayman S also happens to have a lower base price.

      So which is quicker around the track? The Cayman S. It is more planted, lighter, and just seems to be much more refined. The Evora S just does not feature the same level of polish and seems to be behind technologically as well as the lack of a dual clutch gearbox shows. The Cayman is simply the better drivers car and everyday car. It being cheaper is that much more of a bonus.



      This article was originally published in forum thread: Porsche 981 Cayman S with PDK compared to the Lotus Evora S with laptime started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 18 Comments
      1. whoosh's Avatar
        whoosh -
        The Cayman is lighter and less powerful than the Lotus? That's usually the formula for Lotus to follow... Imagine if Porsche would quit holding the Cayman back by restricting the power from the 3.4 compared to the Carrera. The gap would have been a second or more.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
        The Cayman is lighter and less powerful than the Lotus? That's usually the formula for Lotus to follow...
        I know, funny how that flipped eh?

        The Cayman is the better car, significantly. The Evora seems archaic in comparison.
      1. kokostrollet's Avatar
        kokostrollet -
        Well, The Evora is really not the right car from Lotus to compare with as it is a 2+2 which he points out at 4:47. I would personally loved to see the 981 Cayman S head to head with a Lotus Exige S. Possibly with a 997 GT3 in there as well just as a reference. The Exige S seems to be the diamond in the Lotus range and I would just love to see how it compares with the Porsches.

        Seems Chris Harris (who is pretty pro Porsche) is quite enthusiastic about the Exige S:

      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kokostrollet Click here to enlarge
        I would personally loved to see the 981 Cayman S head to head with a Lotus Exige S.
        But the Exige S is a go-cart. The Evora is the better comparison based on size and power IMO.
      1. kokostrollet's Avatar
        kokostrollet -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        But the Exige S is a go-cart. The Evora is the better comparison based on size and power IMO.
        Could you elaborate further on how you reason regarding the "size and power" part? Think that could be quite interesting.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kokostrollet Click here to enlarge
        Could you elaborate further on how you reason regarding the "size and power" part? Think that could be quite interesting.
        The Exige is smaller and really a dedicated track toy. The Evora S and Cayman S are both more livable daily. When you look at the specs, weights, power, pricing, they both line up better against each other.
      1. kokostrollet's Avatar
        kokostrollet -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The Exige is smaller and really a dedicated track toy. The Evora S and Cayman S are both more livable daily.
        I can buy the argument that the Exige S is more raw and much less refined than the Cayman. On the other hand, as for "being smaller" I am not so sure. Both are 2 seat sports cars wheras the Evora S actually is 2+2 similar to a Porsche 911.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        When you look at the specs, weights, power, pricing, they both line up better against each other.
        Well, lets start with power. Both the Exige S and the Evora S has exactly the same engine. No difference whatsoever. As for pricing, at least here in Sweden an Exige S according to the importer, actually cost less than an Evora S and only 5k more than the Cayman S.

        As for the "gocart" argument, there are also 2 levels of "premium packages" that can make your Exige S less raw if for any reason you would want that.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kokostrollet Click here to enlarge
        I can buy the argument that the Exige S is more raw and much less refined than the Cayman. On the other hand, as for "being smaller" I am not so sure. Both are 2 seat sports cars wheras the Evora S actually is 2+2 similar to a Porsche 911.
        Despite the Evora S having a 2+2 arrangement it is still closer in size to the Cayman than the Exige is.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kokostrollet Click here to enlarge
        Well, lets start with power. Both the Exige S and the Evora S has exactly the same engine. No difference whatsoever. As for pricing, at least here in Sweden an Exige S according to the importer, actually cost less than an Evora S and only 5k€ more than the Cayman S.

        As for the "gocart" argument, there are also 2 levels of "premium packages" that can make your Exige S less raw if for any reason you would want that.
        You're right on the engines being shared of course but they got it right. As stated, the Evora makes more sense to compare to the Cayman. The Exige is more of a small and raw track toy.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kokostrollet Click here to enlarge
        I can buy the argument that the Exige S is more raw and much less refined than the Cayman. On the other hand, as for "being smaller" I am not so sure. Both are 2 seat sports cars wheras the Evora S actually is 2+2 similar to a Porsche 911.

        Well, lets start with power. Both the Exige S and the Evora S has exactly the same engine. No difference whatsoever. As for pricing, at least here in Sweden an Exige S according to the importer, actually cost less than an Evora S and only 5k€ more than the Cayman S.

        As for the "gocart" argument, there are also 2 levels of "premium packages" that can make your Exige S less raw if for any reason you would want that.
        Here you are:

        Evora is the first product of a five-year plan started in 2006 to expand the Lotus line-up beyond its current track-specialized offerings, with the aim of making Evora a somewhat of a more practical road car that would appeal to the mainstream.As such it is a larger car than recent Lotus models Elise and its derivatives (Exige, Europa S, etc.), with a unladen weight of 1,383 kg (3,050 lb).

        It is currently the only Lotus model with a 2+2 configuration, although it has been announced that it will also be offered in a two-seater configuration, referred to as the "Plus Zero" option. It is also the only 2+2 mid engined coup on sale. The interior is larger to allow taller persons to fit, such as Lotus CEO Mike Kimberley, and two 6'5" tall people.


        The cooled boot behind the engine is large enough to fit a set of golf clubs, although Lotus Design Head Russell Carr denies that this was intentional. Lotus intends Evora to compete with different market sectors including the Porsche Cayman.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Saw a Cayman S irl for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful car. Looks blow a 911 away. @Sticky why don't you buy one and do an S65 swap from your M3!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        Saw a Cayman S irl for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful car. Looks blow a 911 away. @Sticky why don't you buy one and do an S65 swap from your M3!
        I like the Cayman/Boxster a lot. I don't know what I'm going to buy next. There are a ton of cars on my mind.

        If were to do a swap in a Cayman though, it would be the 991 GT3 motor.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I like the Cayman/Boxster a lot. I don't know what I'm going to buy next. There are a ton of cars on my mind.

        If were to do a swap in a Cayman though, it would be the 991 GT3 motor.
        That would make the parfect car...aslong as you dont need back seats.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        That would make the parfect car...aslong as you dont need back seats.
        I have no reason for back seats even in the M3 only occasionally use them. Just a passenger seat for a hot chick is necessary.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kokostrollet Click here to enlarge
        I can buy the argument that the Exige S is more raw and much less refined than the Cayman. On the other hand, as for "being smaller" I am not so sure. Both are 2 seat sports cars wheras the Evora S actually is 2+2 similar to a Porsche 911.



        Well, lets start with power. Both the Exige S and the Evora S has exactly the same engine. No difference whatsoever. As for pricing, at least here in Sweden an Exige S according to the importer, actually cost less than an Evora S and only 5k€ more than the Cayman S.

        As for the "gocart" argument, there are also 2 levels of "premium packages" that can make your Exige S less raw if for any reason you would want that.
        I put more thought into this and think you have somewhat of a valid point although the Evora is still positioned against the Cayman. The problem is the new Exige is not for sale in the United States making the Evora the default comparison regardless but the new Exige has grown up a bit.
      1. kokostrollet's Avatar
        kokostrollet -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I put more thought into this and think you have somewhat of a valid point although the Evora is still positioned against the Cayman. The problem is the new Exige is not for sale in the United States making the Evora the default comparison regardless but the new Exige has grown up a bit.
        As a matter of fact, I just found the following comparison:

        http://www.caradvice.com.au/241756/s...lotus-exige-s/

        After reading that article, I think your point of the Evora being the best Lotus benchmark of the Cayman is probably true. The new Exige seems according to this test more "raw" than I expected which I did not get the impression of from Chris Harris test drive.

        Here is another one that sort of validates the first (e.g. difficult getting in and out of the Exige):

        http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...628-2p0nr.html
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kokostrollet Click here to enlarge
        As a matter of fact, I just found the following comparison:

        http://www.caradvice.com.au/241756/s...lotus-exige-s/

        After reading that article, I think your point of the Evora being the best Lotus benchmark of the Cayman is probably true. The new Exige seems according to this test more "raw" than I expected which I did not get the impression of from Chris Harris test drive.

        Here is another one that sort of validates the first (e.g. difficult getting in and out of the Exige):

        http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...628-2p0nr.html
        I'll tell you this much. If the new Exige was for sale in the USA, I'd buy it.
      1. whoosh's Avatar
        whoosh -
        Me too. Exige S in orange with CF trim package. Mmmmmm yes.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
        Me too. Exige S in orange with CF trim package. Mmmmmm yes.
        I kind of like this green:

        Click here to enlarge