Close

    • The M133 (A45,CLA45,GLA45) AMG motor is underrated - First dyno of an A45 AMG shows 340 horsepower to all four wheels

      Mercedes-Benz was not kidding around when they said their new 2.0 liter M133 motor was the most powerful production four cylinder in the world. Obviously the motor was going to be powerful thanks to its 26 psi of boost stock which Mercedes states is good for 360 horsepower at the crank. Renntech was able to get their hands on an A45 AMG to get a head start on modifications as the CLA45 AMG with the same M133 motor will be coming to the USA. So what did they find out?

      That this is a hell of a stock motor. Renntech dyno'd the A45 AMG at 340.6 to all four wheels. This is on a all wheel drive SuperFlow dyno which corrected the wheel readout to 389.5 crank horsepower or let's just call it an even 390. For an all wheel drive dual clutch car to exceed its quoted output is very impressive and shows the nature of the horsepower war going on right now which is about delivering more than quoted output. Speak softly and carry a big stick if you will.

      For those not familiar with the SuperFlow dyno it is inertia based like a Dynojet but it has an internal eddy current based braking system. Depending on what mode is used, say pure inertia with no braking, it tends to read a little bit higher than the Dynojet. That is likely what mode was used here as it would be unlikely for this motor to put out even more power on a Dynojet as this is already huge output. Expect ~10% less so roughly in the 31X all wheel horsepower range on a Dynojet which correlates well with the internally calculated 389.5 crank horsepower figure. That's 24 horses less than BMW E92 M3 V8 level of power.... from a 2.0 liter four cylinder no less that is sending power to all four wheels.

      The question now is how much is left in the motor for tuners? Mercedes pushed this one pretty far for a stock motor and that's impressive. This is going to be a fun motor. Huge thank you to Renntech for the dyno!







      This article was originally published in forum thread: The M133 (A45,CLA45,GLA45) AMG motor is underrated - First dyno of an A45 AMG shows 340 horsepower to all four wheels started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 25 Comments
      1. Jacob502's Avatar
        Jacob502 -
        Amazing. I love it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Me too, I love this little motor! I kind of want one.
      1. Adrenacide's Avatar
        Adrenacide -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Me too, I love this little motor! I kind of want one.
        That's really impressive! I also kind of want one, this vs the S5, I dunno.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adrenacide Click here to enlarge
        That's really impressive! I also kind of want one, this vs the S5, I dunno.
        I'm interested in seeing this in the GLA45 AMG.
      1. KEMA's Avatar
        KEMA -
        Damn... that should translate into high 300s with a tune and bolt ons. Mid 400s with an upgraded turbo and cooling? Should bring it close to stock GTR performance.

        I need one!

        K
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KEMA Click here to enlarge
        Damn... that should translate into high 300s with a tune and bolt ons. Mid 400s with an upgraded turbo and cooling? Should bring it close to stock GTR performance.

        I need one!

        K
        High 300's with a tune and bolt on's would be amazing I'm not sure if the stock motor will do that or not.
      1. andrew20195's Avatar
        andrew20195 -
        Anybody know what model turbo it's using? No RPM numbers on that dyno graph so it's hard to tell at what RPM it spools up.

        Nonetheless it shows how far technology has come when a manufacturer feels comfortable providing a warranty on a near-400 horsepower 4 cylinder.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
        Anybody know what model turbo it's using? No RPM numbers on that dyno graph so it's hard to tell at what RPM it spools up.
        Redline for the motor is 6700 rpm.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
        Nonetheless it shows how far technology has come when a manufacturer feels comfortable providing a warranty on a near-400 horsepower 4 cylinder.
        I know right? I wonder how strong this little thing is...
      1. m54b25's Avatar
        m54b25 -
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Can't believe I somehow missed this.
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        Scary good motor
      1. JHOOPS2's Avatar
        JHOOPS2 -
        I have mine on order, though it could be as late as may before it hits my dealership :-(
        I was worried about getting rid of my FBO '09 135i for this, however all of the new info coming out is making me feel a little less timid.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 Click here to enlarge
        I have mine on order, though it could be as late as may before it hits my dealership :-(
        I was worried about getting rid of my FBO '09 135i for this, however all of the new info coming out is making me feel a little less timid.
        The N54 likely has more potential than this motor but with all wheel drive and a DCT you won't miss it much.
      1. JHOOPS2's Avatar
        JHOOPS2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The N54 likely has more potential than this motor but with all wheel drive and a DCT you won't miss it much.

        Yeah, that's what I'm figuring as well. My big reason for switching was for the 4 doors. I have twins now. Though we have two SUV's, one of them is a Wrangler Unlimited that stays in the mud, so I need something with a bit more room. I had thought about a 3 series, but once I priced it out I was just about where I am with the AMG, so I went with the new kid on the block. Thanks!

        BTW, here is my order:

        CLA45 AMG
        Cirrus White Exterior (Base Matte Titanium Trim)
        Black Leather Red Cut interior with Black Ash Trim
        Multi-Media Package
        Premium 1 Package
        Wheel Lock Nuts
        Rear Spoiler
        AMG Performance Steering Wheel
        AMG Center Caps for the Std twin 5 spoke wheels ( I tend to like these wheels better)
        Red Calipers
        Rear Airbags
        AMG Performance exhaust (resonator delete)
        AMG Door Lock Pins
        Xenon headlights and LED Tails are standard on the 45


        -Jeff
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 Click here to enlarge
        Yeah, that's what I'm figuring as well. My big reason for switching was for the 4 doors. I have twins now. Though we have two SUV's, one of them is a Wrangler Unlimited that stays in the mud, so I need something with a bit more room. I had thought about a 3 series, but once I priced it out I was just about where I am with the AMG, so I went with the new kid on the block. Thanks!

        BTW, here is my order:

        CLA45 AMG
        Cirrus White Exterior (Base Matte Titanium Trim)
        Black Leather Red Cut interior with Black Ash Trim
        Multi-Media Package
        Premium 1 Package
        Wheel Lock Nuts
        Rear Spoiler
        AMG Performance Steering Wheel
        AMG Center Caps for the Std twin 5 spoke wheels ( I tend to like these wheels better)
        Red Calipers
        Rear Airbags
        AMG Performance exhaust (resonator delete)
        AMG Door Lock Pins


        -Jeff
        Very nice! I also really like the idea of the CLA45 AMG.

        You didn't consider the GLA45 AMG?
      1. JHOOPS2's Avatar
        JHOOPS2 -
        The GLA45 is indeed very nice! I just want a car primarily since I am pretty well covered with SUV's already. But as far as that goes, the GLA has to be one of the best looking Cross-Over SUV's I have ever seen. I am sure it will be a huge seller for MB.
      1. BK63AMG's Avatar
        BK63AMG -
        I'm keeping my eye on the CLA45 as well. I've gotten so bored with my S4 and have been pining to get back into a C63 but the economy, AWD and DCT of the CLA45 has got me really interested. Hopefully it drives as good as it looks!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BK63AMG Click here to enlarge
        I'm keeping my eye on the CLA45 as well. I've gotten so bored with my S4 and have been pining to get back into a C63 but the economy, AWD and DCT of the CLA45 has got me really interested. Hopefully it drives as good as it looks!
        All accounts thus far say it is a hell of a drivers car.
      1. JonMartin's Avatar
        JonMartin -
        Looks like it will be a fun tuner toy. I'd buy one but not at $60-70k
      1. infliktyd135i's Avatar
        infliktyd135i -
        has Renntech made any tuning progress on this yet?