• 335/N54 fanboys get panties in a twist over a bolt on DCT E92 M3 pulling a JB4 tuned bolt on 335i

      Oh yes, here we go the millionth time, the ever popular 335 versus M3 discussion. A user posted the video below of a bolt on DCT E92 M3 pulling a JB4 tuned 335i in the forums and the N54 fanboys went for the pitchforks and torches. For whatever reason 335 owners in particular seem to really want to attack the E92 M3 perhaps in justification of their own purchase. There is the typical "oh I didn't get an M3 because a tuned 335 is faster" nonsense that N54 fanboys tend to comfort themselves with in the never ending M3 versus 335 debate.


      Even though the 335 in this video may have more power and torque in tuned form which the fanboys love to point out the other side of the coin is that the M3's redline and transmission are a huge advantage. Gearing is an area the M3 simply has an advantage over the 335 in and the transmission makes a big difference as one can see the shift speed in lower gears is really what gives the M3 the gains it sees in the race early on.

      Up top, the tuned 335's horsepower advantage comes into play as the cars spend more time in gear negating the gear change advantage provided by the DCT allowing the 335 to inch up and close the gap.

      This video is a good real world example as without race gas or meth a 335 will struggle against a tuned M3 especially one with DCT. Of course 335 owners will point out they can upgrade their turbos. Then M3 owners will say they can supercharge. Then the debate escalates and escalate and there are dozens of pages to read of M3 and 335 owners essentially throwing feces at each other. BMW fans, just enjoy 335 versus M3 round 400,000 in the video below.

      M3 is the camera car.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: New video-DCT m3 takes down a FBO 335 with jb4, downpipes, FMIC and intake started by Wannbm5 View original post
      Comments 315 Comments
      1. Linracing's Avatar
        Linracing -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wannbm5 Click here to enlarge
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHzpPz56qN8

        This is a perfect representation of real world race between two well driven cars. A stock dct m3 will slowly walk a fbo 335 until really high speeds where they even out.

        A FBO m3 will put a buslenth or 2 more.

        I am not sure why 335 guys continue to say a stock 335 is as fast and a tuned is out of this world faster. Reality is not true. Unless you go RB's or run meth plus/minus e85, then your looking at an even race or the 335 winning
        Are you insane?
        I had both FBO DCT m3 and now FBO AUTO 335. My 335 walks my old M3 BAD!

        FBO M3's put down 400whp-320TQ MAX
        FBO 335's put down 440-450whp-480TQ

        335i is also 60-80lbs lighter
      1. Linracing's Avatar
        Linracing -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wannbm5 Click here to enlarge
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHzpPz56qN8

        This is a perfect representation of real world race between two well driven cars. A stock dct m3 will slowly walk a fbo 335 until really high speeds where they even out.

        A FBO m3 will put a buslenth or 2 more.

        I am not sure why 335 guys continue to say a stock 335 is as fast and a tuned is out of this world faster. Reality is not true. Unless you go RB's or run meth plus/minus e85, then your looking at an even race or the 335 winning
        I will match 5 grand to race any FBO M3 even with a stroker motor would not even come close to a FBO 335i on stock turbos.


        There was a FBO 335i stock turbos beating a Supercharged m3 525kit . Those only put down 440whp.
      1. Linracing's Avatar
        Linracing -
        Also the 335i is walking to m3 at higher spends in that video!

        That m3 is not STOCK, if you read it clearly says (exhaust, ecu tune).
      1. Wannbm5's Avatar
        Wannbm5 -
        Well its always people like you with some "experience" but when you look at a quality video with people using the appropriate gears, starting properly and clearly listing the two cars specs this is the result time and time again.

        And a tune adds 10hp. Exhaust adds nothing. A catless m3 with a drop in will add 20-30 but this does not have that.

        Good luck with your fbo 335 beating a fbo m3 dct
      1. Linracing's Avatar
        Linracing -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wannbm5 Click here to enlarge
        Well its always people like you with some "experience" but when you look at a quality video with people using the appropriate gears, starting properly and clearly listing the two cars specs this is the result time and time again.

        And a tune adds 10hp. Exhaust adds nothing. A catless m3 with a drop in will add 20-30 but this does not have that.

        Good luck with your fbo 335 beating a fbo m3 dct
        Dude I honestly never argue online but you are clearly delusional LOL

        So your telling me all the 335i FBO that are running mid 11's high 11's are slowing then all those FBO DCT - 6SP m3's that are running mid 12's? LOL come on man. First you say that M3 in the video is stock, when it clearly says in the description it has tune and exhaust. LOL who knows what map that 335 could of been on . I bet it was JB4 map 1. I am stating facts, I raced both my cars e92 DCT FBO m3 and my e92 335 FBO, there is no comparing especially with the 335i running meth.
      1. Brey335i's Avatar
        Brey335i -
        FBO means nothing but parts. He could have been running 11 psi for all you know. Not enough info to come to a conclusion. But I have plenty of upset M3 owners to vouch for how fast a properly tuned 335 is.
      1. JoshBoody's Avatar
        JoshBoody -
        Ha, just look on dragtimes.
      1. amclint's Avatar
        amclint -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
        FBO means nothing but parts. He could have been running 11 psi for all you know. Not enough info to come to a conclusion. But I have plenty of upset M3 owners to vouch for how fast a properly tuned 335 is.
        +1, tune only on E85 you can crack 400whp, FBO can be 290whp or 440whp, boost needs to be included with any list of "mods".

        @Wannbm5 is delusional.
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Linracing Click here to enlarge
        Are you insane?
        I had both FBO DCT m3 and now FBO AUTO 335. My 335 walks my old M3 BAD!

        FBO M3's put down 400whp-320TQ MAX
        FBO 335's put down 440-450whp-480TQ

        335i is also 60-80lbs lighter
        wait... the N54 is lighter than the S65, intercooler etc. and all?

        i thought the S65 was lighter, as it's (from memory) lighter than the S54?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wannbm5 Click here to enlarge
        Well its always people like you with some "experience" but when you look at a quality video with people using the appropriate gears, starting properly and clearly listing the two cars specs this is the result time and time again.
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wannbm5 Click here to enlarge

        And a tune adds 10hp. Exhaust adds nothing. A catless m3 with a drop in will add 20-30 but this does not have that.

        Good luck with your fbo 335 beating a fbo m3 dct


        yeah but what tune was the 335 set to? i'm guessing fairly low boost and or low octane, nowhere near representative of what they CAN make.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        The guy finds one video that even somewhat represents what he wishes to be true then claims its fact written in stone. Somebody is in denial.
      1. infliktyd135i's Avatar
        infliktyd135i -
        Attachment 31015
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by infliktyd135i Click here to enlarge
        as an australian: YES PLEASE

        apparently (not sure if it was a troll) we're getting a handful of M5 utes

        may have been april fools joke, i can't remember... i hope it's not Click here to enlarge
      1. BuraQ's Avatar
        BuraQ -
        Something was wrong with that JB4 FBO 335i
      1. Wannbm5's Avatar
        Wannbm5 -
        Well you can talk all you want. FBO M3's put down 400 whp which isn't the point since stock m3's beat a fbo 335 without methanol or e85 or upgraded turboes. The guy that does not usually argue does not comment on the video I posted or any other video that shows the same thing. So how do you explain the video I posted to keep it simple? THey both started in a good gear (I can see 3rd in the M3) and the 335 had a nice start, they were even with nobody jumping out and the m3 walks aawy until really high speeds where the 335 claws back for an instant.

        How people argue with video is absolutely amazing to me. I have walked many and most fbo 335's and only when they have meth or e85 do they take the lead. Whatever you 335 guys want to believe is fine. I though some evidence may get through to people but clearly its of no use. Turbo powah!!!!
      1. Linracing's Avatar
        Linracing -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wannbm5 Click here to enlarge
        Well you can talk all you want. FBO M3's put down 400 whp which isn't the point since stock m3's beat a fbo 335 without methanol or e85 or upgraded turboes. The guy that does not usually argue does not comment on the video I posted or any other video that shows the same thing. So how do you explain the video I posted to keep it simple? THey both started in a good gear (I can see 3rd in the M3) and the 335 had a nice start, they were even with nobody jumping out and the m3 walks aawy until really high speeds where the 335 claws back for an instant.

        How people argue with video is absolutely amazing to me. I have walked many and most fbo 335's and only when they have meth or e85 do they take the lead. Whatever you 335 guys want to believe is fine. I though some evidence may get through to people but clearly its of no use. Turbo powah!!!!

        You my friend are on your own planet with make believe cars... just go drive off a cliff already. Lol
      1. rader1's Avatar
        rader1 -
        Keep in mind that OP also claims custom tunes provide no gains over OTS or even OEM tunes...
      1. StinkyM's Avatar
        StinkyM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
        as an australian: YES PLEASE

        apparently (not sure if it was a troll) we're getting a handful of M5 utes

        may have been april fools joke, i can't remember... i hope it's not Click here to enlarge
        It was an April fools joke from 2009 or so.
      1. 135idct's Avatar
        135idct -
        my car is 135i jb4 map2 without fmic raced many m3s all races from 50mph rpm at 5 full boost 14.5 psi
        pulled 2 to 2.5 car on fbo m3, the stock m3 i pulled 4 to 5 cars length.


        m3 is nothing without SC
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Not sure what this video proves.
        There is no information on what is done to both cars.
        Nobody in this video is being walked at all. Crawled at best.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wannbm5 Click here to enlarge
        And a tune adds 10hp. Exhaust adds nothing. A catless m3 with a drop in will add 20-30 but this does not have that.
        This info I do not believe at all.

        Again, not sure what the argument was to post this video.
      1. RTA's Avatar
        RTA -
        335 FBO>> M3 period... this discussion was already closed in 2009....