Close

    • Quaife releases a limited slip differential for the C207 Mercedes-Benz E550

      It is official, Quaife has a limited slip differential upgrade available for the C207 Mercedes-Benz E550 models. With the torque the M278 twin turbo V8 generates a limited slip differential becomes necessary to maintain traction and definitely will improve putting the power down in corners especially as well as the straightline or low traction conditions (rain, snow). The diff is a direct replacement for the factory open differential. It will not interfere with the electronics or cause any malfunction lights.

      The differential will also eliminate a degree of torque steer from the factory open diff. Quite simply, it's a great upgrade for the rear wheel drive E550 coupes. The diff comes with a lifetime warranty and will be available in July.

      Great of Quaife to take care of a definite need for C207 E550 owners.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Quaife Announces LSD for M278 C207 E550 Coupe, Due July started by nawlinstornado View original post
      Comments 35 Comments
      1. mramg1's Avatar
        mramg1 -
        Quaife makes some GREAT diffs, but they do have there limitations.

        AS a Glesson torsen spin off, read worm gear diff here, thay have a limited torque bias. Although this will NOT be important to many here, if you plan on road racing with it you will find out what I mean. Espically if you use R type tires.

        Great for the street, IMHO, and CERTAINLY a REQUIRED part of ANY mods for your Merc.
      1. Jacob502's Avatar
        Jacob502 -
        That looks good. Renntech are also offering LSD's for this platform.
      1. nawlinstornado's Avatar
        nawlinstornado -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jacob502 Click here to enlarge
        That looks good. Renntech are also offering LSD's for this platform.

        What?!?!?! I saw their transmission upgrade, but have never seen mention of an LSD for M278-powered C207. It's not listed on their website, either.
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        QUAIFE is a great company. You just reminded me to ask them about a diff for my M3. Cheers.
      1. blkclk550's Avatar
        blkclk550 -
        Damn the V8TT E550 coupes will hurt a lot of feelings.
      1. nawlinstornado's Avatar
        nawlinstornado -
        Already has. There were several Camaro, Mustang, etc. owners at MIR whose jaws just about hit the ground.

        I anticipated a .2 sec gain until I spoke to Cory at Kleemann. He stated that, in his experience, it would likely be closer to a .4 sec gain with just a LSD. Since I'm going to do new downpipes and a tune shortly after the LSD, I should be deep in the 11's before Christmas.
      1. Dueclaws's Avatar
        Dueclaws -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
        Already has. There were several Camaro, Mustang, etc. owners at MIR whose jaws just about hit the ground.

        I anticipated a .2 sec gain until I spoke to Cory at Kleemann. He stated that, in his experience, it would likely be closer to a .4 sec gain with just a LSD. Since I'm going to do new downpipes and a tune shortly after the LSD, I should be deep in the 11's before Christmas.
        Awesome!
      1. 427's Avatar
        427 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
        Already has. There were several Camaro, Mustang, etc. owners at MIR whose jaws just about hit the ground.

        I anticipated a .2 sec gain until I spoke to Cory at Kleemann. He stated that, in his experience, it would likely be closer to a .4 sec gain with just a LSD. Since I'm going to do new downpipes and a tune shortly after the LSD, I should be deep in the 11's before Christmas.
        Excellent... I look forward to your adventures!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
        I anticipated a .2 sec gain until I spoke to Cory at Kleemann. He stated that, in his experience, it would likely be closer to a .4 sec gain with just a LSD. Since I'm going to do new downpipes and a tune shortly after the LSD, I should be deep in the 11's before Christmas.
        With a tune, downpipes, I don't see why you wouldn't be nicely into the 11's on drag rubber.
      1. mramg1's Avatar
        mramg1 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
        Already has. There were several Camaro, Mustang, etc. owners at MIR whose jaws just about hit the ground.

        I anticipated a .2 sec gain until I spoke to Cory at Kleemann. He stated that, in his experience, it would likely be closer to a .4 sec gain with just a LSD. Since I'm going to do new downpipes and a tune shortly after the LSD, I should be deep in the 11's before Christmas.
        Some of the fastest E55's without a LSD have done the SAME et's befoer and after a LSD.

        DO NOT expect a serious drop in et, unless you are on street tires.

        One of the BEST E55 drivers dropped in a Quaife, and his ET did NOT change. Sorry guys but facts are facts.

        Think CiroMikey here on DRtimes

        DR and R tires will give you good results.

        For street use, and MILD road racing, it will change your vehicle for sure.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
        Some of the fastest E55's without a LSD have done the SAME et's befoer and after a LSD.

        DO NOT expect a serious drop in et, unless you are on street tires.
        I want to point out this is correct as an open diff and limited slip diff with traction on the strip basically work in the same way.

        The limited slip helps when you are in adverse conditions or in turns more than anything else.

        The most important thing on the strip is tires.
      1. nawlinstornado's Avatar
        nawlinstornado -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
        DO NOT expect a serious drop in et, unless you are on street tires.
        That's just it, though. I have no intention of doing drag radials, and that was part of the discussion with Cory.

        Either way, I'll have imperical evidence at a later date. I'll do another run just before install, then immediately after.

        @mramg1, did the E55 driver you referenced have a factory LSD that he replaced with a quaife, or an open diff replaced with an LSD?
      1. nawlinstornado's Avatar
        nawlinstornado -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I want to point out this is correct as an open diff and limited slip diff with traction on the strip basically work in the same way.

        The limited slip helps when you are in adverse conditions or in turns more than anything else.

        The most important thing on the strip is tires.
        Could you please explain what you mean here? I understand that in non-slip conditions, an LSD and open diff function identically. And assuming both tires have identical levels of friction (function of tire and surface), an LSD and open diff should perform similarly. But no two tires are identical, as are no two patches of pavement (or asphalt). An LSD should be able to provide some compensation for these variances, even at the strip, right?

        I get that traction control attempts to do this by applying friction (brakes) to the spinning wheel. But won't the friction just further degrade performance? Isn't a mechanical solution to provide biased torque better/more efficient than a frictional one?

        With an open diff, the maximum amount of torque delivered is twice that of what the wheel with the least traction supports. An LSD allows for the wheel with more traction to receive more torque, and therefore should (theoretically) deliver more total torque to-the-ground. In the case of the Quaife, I believe (can't remember exactly) it can deliver up to 60% more torque to the wheel with more traction, vs. the 50/50 split that an open diff always deliver.

        Please feel free to correct any erroneous assertions.
      1. mramg1's Avatar
        mramg1 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
        That's just it, though. I have no intention of doing drag radials, and that was part of the discussion with Cory.

        Either way, I'll have imperical evidence at a later date. I'll do another run just before install, then immediately after.

        @mramg1 , did the E55 driver you referenced have a factory LSD that he replaced with a quaife, or an open diff replaced with an LSD?
        No E55 ever came with a facotry posi, sad but true. The funny part was that he did expect to drop a tenth or two, but he ran the exact 0-60 times as well as the 1/4. Go figure?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
        Could you please explain what you mean here? I understand that in non-slip conditions, an LSD and open diff function identically. And assuming both tires have identical levels of friction (function of tire and surface), an LSD and open diff should perform similarly.
        You got it, that's exactly what I meant.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
        Isn't a mechanical solution to provide biased torque better/more efficient than a frictional one?
        I would think so.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
        With an open diff, the maximum amount of torque delivered is twice that of what the wheel with the least traction supports. An LSD allows for the wheel with more traction to receive more torque, and therefore should (theoretically) deliver more total torque to-the-ground. In the case of the Quaife, I believe (can't remember exactly) it can deliver up to 60% more torque to the wheel with more traction, vs. the 50/50 split that an open diff always deliver.

        Please feel free to correct any erroneous assertions.
        There is nothing to correct, you have a firm grasp of the topic.
      1. nawlinstornado's Avatar
        nawlinstornado -
        Update - the Quaife diff is complete and on order!

        Of course, I'm still looking for an installer. If only Kleemann were closer....
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
        Update - the Quaife diff is complete and on order!

        Of course, I'm still looking for an installer. If only Kleemann were closer....
        You should have several options for an installer in your area. What I need to do is add an ability to sort by zip for shops that install parts.
      1. nawlinstornado's Avatar
        nawlinstornado -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You should have several options for an installer in your area.
        You would think that. But so far, I haven't found anyone that I feel is both confident and competent.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        What I need to do is add an ability to sort by zip for shops that install parts.
        That would be great. I would even drive a few hours away if a shop would guarantee a one-day swap. According to Quaife, this job should only take 6 hours for an experienced installer, or 8 for one not-so-experienced.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
        You would think that. But so far, I haven't found anyone that I feel is both confident and competent.

        That would be great. I would even drive a few hours away if a shop would guarantee a one-day swap. According to Quaife, this job should only take 6 hours for an experienced installer, or 8 for one not-so-experienced.
        In the mean time let's see if we can find you a shop.

        Maybe create a thread in Regional about Virginia installers?
      1. nawlinstornado's Avatar
        nawlinstornado -
        Tried that already here: http://www.benzboost.com/showthread....dations-Please!