Close

    • Maximum PSI stock S54 DME and stock internal Stage II E46 M3 turbo kit reaches 697 wheel horsepower

      BimmerBoost is happy to give credit where credit is due and credit is most certainly due here. Congratulations to Maximum PSI as well as Nick G of Technique Tuning for raising the bar on what a stock DME tuned E46 M3 turbo S54 inline-6 engine is capable. How does 697 wheel horsepower and 513 pound-feet of torque at the wheels with MS109 race gas sound? And how about the fact that they aren't done as E85 maps are planned?

      E85 dyno plots will come next and they are planning to offer map switching with different boost levels although this will likely not be possible on the fly. The fact it will be possible at all is something of a minor miracle. It is nice to see the E46 M3 platform maturing finally after all these years. Congratulations to all involved, dynograph and video below.




      This article was originally published in forum thread: Max PSI / Technique Tuning (Nick G) hit 697 wheel horsepower with turbo S54 stock internal stock DME started by folgrz View original post
      Comments 69 Comments
      1. Petrolhead's Avatar
        Petrolhead -
        The Loaded m3 with a 7.22 lap at Nurburgring, has smg. Was about 530 whp. Not high in this context, but nevertheless, a great system on the track when it works imo. The new pagani and Lamborghini still uses computer controled single clutch solutions.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Petrolhead Click here to enlarge
        The new pagani and Lamborghini still uses computer controled single clutch solutions.
        Those single clutch systems are significantly more advanced then previous systems. Example, the Aventador's trans is handling the UGR-TT setup completely fine because the trans is OEM programmed to eliminate TQ during gearshifts.

        Single clutches trans still aren't perfect at low speed driving (stop lights, parking, driving around town), especially when compared to traditional Automatics or DCTs.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Basically what this comes down to is an SMG isn't really a hurdle to power handling.
      1. Petrolhead's Avatar
        Petrolhead -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        Those single clutch systems are significantly more advanced then previous systems. Example, the Aventador's trans is handling the UGR-TT setup completely fine because the trans is OEM programmed to eliminate TQ during gearshifts.

        Single clutches trans still aren't perfect at low speed driving (stop lights, parking, driving around town), especially when compared to traditional Automatics or DCTs.
        I am no expert in this matter, but i think that has to do with how the engine is controled during the shift.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Petrolhead Click here to enlarge
        I am no expert in this matter, but i think that has to do with how the engine is controled during the shift.
        Personally I think it's an inherent problem between the calculated wheel speed & the gearbox trying to determine whether to shift up, down, hold a gear or engage the clutch to avoid stalling. On the track it works flawlessly, because you're going WOT & upshifting, on the breaks & downshifting, or high RPM at partial throttle holding a gear. But when you're going from a stop to 15 mph, to break for traffic or parallel park, the trans is confused whether to upshift into 2nd, hold 1st or to engage the clutch & prevent the car from stalling (since it's functions nearly identical to a traditional MT).
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        My car is SMG.

        HPF2.5
      1. Commanderwiggin's Avatar
        Commanderwiggin -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BattaM3 Click here to enlarge
        My car is SMG.

        HPF2.5
        Care to elaborate on your constant problems?
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        No problems. Never had any SMG issues.
      1. 01E46m3's Avatar
        01E46m3 -
        Im a 100% 6sp manual guy too, but if i get the chance i will get an smg on the side for tracking, is perfect specially with the rev matching...