• Vargas Stage III Turbo upgrade for 335/135 N54 motor hits 572 wheel horsepower on 91 octane pump gas (no meth injection) with Cobb flash

      Well here are some results for the Vargas Stage III upgrade that has caused the N54 forum section to basically be engaged in chaos for the past few months. From accusations of vaporware, to comparison to single turbo upgrades, to countless other arguments the day has come and the Stage III Vargas Turbo upgrade dyno'd on 91 octane with no meth 572 horsepower to the rear wheels. This is with a Cobb flash tuned by BimmerBoost vendor Pro-Tuning Freaks.


      Impressive? Yep, sure is and this seems to also be a 91 octane pump gas only world record for the N54. Now keep in mind this is just the beginning. What will it do with meth? What will do on E85? What will it do with race gas and big boost? What about different turbos? Sky appears to be the limit but for now this kind of performance on pump gas sure is a big boost (hah, get it?) to the N54 scene.

      Congratulations to all involved, Vargas Turbo Tech, Pro-Tuning Freaks, Cobb, and just the N54 community as well. The impossible just became possible. Pictures, video, and dynograph below.



      This article was originally published in forum thread: 572WHP 537WTQ - ACN 91 Octane, no meth - VTT Stage 3 Early Dynos PTF / COBB Protune started by VargasTurboTech View original post
      Comments 575 Comments
      1. VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        VargasTurboTech -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        im confused now.. how does adding meth with no tuning changes, add HP...?
        We were heat soaking pretty bad, and at that point running up against the HPFP limit. We ran the meth for 1 run, iat's plummeted and fuel trims went -20 DME still has some control to keep things safe, it saw more fuel and cooler charge and responded with some extra power, trust me I told the people there this is not going to add any power, we just want to see if it helps with the fuel issues. Ran it up lifted at 5900 looked up and was like wtf. I'll post the graph when I get home. Just kinda let us know how much more is in there with a few small changes. LM, that's really my only reasoning as to why because it made no sense to me either. Extra fuel when you are getting close to a ceiling, and a cooler intake charge go a long way.
      1. Legionofboom's Avatar
        Legionofboom -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        We were heat soaking pretty bad, and at that point running up against the HPFP limit. We ran the meth for 1 run, iat's plummeted and fuel trims went -20 DME still has some control to keep things safe, it saw more fuel and cooler charge and responded with some extra power, trust me I told the people there this is not going to add any power, we just want to see if it helps with the fuel issues. Ran it up lifted at 5900 looked up and was like wtf. I'll post the graph when I get home. Just kinda let us know how much more is in there with a few small changes. LM, that's really my only reasoning as to why because it made no sense to me either. Extra fuel when you are getting close to a ceiling, and a cooler intake charge go a long way.
        HFS4 *whistles tune*...
      1. rader1's Avatar
        rader1 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        im confused now.. how does adding meth with no tuning changes, add HP...?
        This is all speculation without seeing logs, but: if it took a few pulls to dial on the tune I could easily see the CATs getting into the correction factor tables and the DME would be pulling timing out. So, if the CATs plummet then timing would advance and power would be made.

        Again, wothout logs that's all speculation.
      1. nitehawk's Avatar
        nitehawk -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        As far as mods, FBO, Catless HKS exhaust, HKS charge pipe, HKS blow off valve, Helix intercooler, BMS OCC. Southbend stage 4 full face clutch. Thats honestly about it. Pricing will be released on Monday, at least intro pricing.

        Tony or @govr46 , can you tell us a little more about this Southbend clutch...
        I know they're build to order but thought stage 4 was a puck type?
        What friction material did you pick? Paired with a steel FW? How does it feel so far after break-in?

        Sorry for going OT
        Click here to enlarge
      1. govr46's Avatar
        govr46 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge

        Tony or @govr46 , can you tell us a little more about this Southbend clutch...
        I know they're build to order but thought stage 4 was a puck type?
        What friction material did you pick? Paired with a steel FW? How does it feel so far after break-in?

        Sorry for going OT
        Click here to enlarge
        This is a question my brother Tony can answer, As i gave him free range on what ever he wanted to do to the car.
        So basically i dont know anything about the clutch at all.
        What i do know is that driving it the clutch pedal is lighter then my stock clutch but grabs faster. (harder to slip the clutch cause it just grabs)
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        Terry we're closing the gates 100% for spoolup on these units...there are changes i noticed that can further assist spool outside of shutting the gates...what caused us to lose time was not knowing how applied wgdc related to vacuum at the actuators and in turn how far the gates closed...tony hooked up.a vacuum gauge and we followed vacuum applied as well as boost through analog gauges to learn...
      1. VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        VargasTurboTech -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge

        Tony or @govr46 , can you tell us a little more about this Southbend clutch...
        I know they're build to order but thought stage 4 was a puck type?
        What friction material did you pick? Paired with a steel FW? How does it feel so far after break-in?

        Sorry for going OT
        Click here to enlarge
        We have been SB dealers for quite some time. So we went with them as they make great products. They will make any clutch full face for drivability at no extra charge. It's not actually full face it's still had 8 small pads but it does not daily drive like a puck clutch. It's very very street able with about a 1 day adjustment period. It's a feramic clutch. If you need more info I can get it for you on Monday.
      1. BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
        BEAR-AvHistory -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
        i missed it... could you recap it for me by any chance? Click here to enlarge
        Sorry but it was quite a few long posts about how any comparisons between ST/Vargas were unfair etc. that all got deleted. For once they got the delete thing right, knocked out Shiv’s posts & the responses to Shiv’s posts.

        IMHO It was a Vargas thread about a solid accomplishment after a lot of work that more than a few said could not be done & did not need a competitor jumping in. If you want to see anything it looks like Shiv is reopening the self inflicted wounds in a new thread of his own
      1. Legionofboom's Avatar
        Legionofboom -
        haha Shiv is so mad at life.
      1. VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        VargasTurboTech -
        Here is the graph overlay from the one meth run. I literally turned the system on, and did a run. Nothing else, I lifted at like 5600 cause we were just testing IAT reaction and fuel recovery. Needless to say, the results were very interesting. We have a lot left in the 91 tune if we just get the fuel as you can see.
      1. rader1's Avatar
        rader1 -
        Wow, that really did pick things up quite a bit. It also looks like Dzenno got the throttle closure cleaned up nicely.
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory Click here to enlarge


        Sorry but it was quite a few long posts about how any comparisons between ST/Vargas were unfair etc. that all got deleted. For once they got the delete thing right, knocked out Shiv’s posts & the responses to Shiv’s posts.

        IMHO It was a Vargas thread about a solid accomplishment after a lot of work that more than a few said could not be done & did not need a competitor jumping in. If you want to see anything it looks like Shiv is reopening the self inflicted wounds in a new thread of his own
        ahh so basically 'no NO VTT3's are NOT better than my single in any way other than potential power!! :'( :'( :'('

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        Here is the graph overlay from the one meth run. I literally turned the system on, and did a run. Nothing else, I lifted at like 5600 cause we were just testing IAT reaction and fuel recovery. Needless to say, the results were very interesting. We have a lot left in the 91 tune if we just get the fuel as you can see.
        wow it really takes off at 4500 meth, 600whp at ~5650rpm.. i can just imagine how high that would have gone closer to 7000 :O
      1. AltecBX's Avatar
        AltecBX -
        Nice.
        Either the meth or the tune fix that dip issue at the 4700-5k mark.
      1. VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        VargasTurboTech -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AltecBX Click here to enlarge
        Nice.
        Either the meth or the tune fix that dip issue at the 4700-5k mark.
        If you notice the run number. We did some pulls in between working on stuff, dip included. Power hovered around the 560-570 mark, but HPFP was not holding. D said lets try to turn on the meth and see how the fuel does. Not too shabby...Click here to enlarge
      1. ChuckD05's Avatar
        ChuckD05 -
        Stttiiiccckkkkkyyyy????????? Where r u :p , how many SC M3s are going to be able to hang with a REAL gas +meth VTT stg3? I really really wanna know where our motor gives way though... m3s SC power is a lot easier taken with its powerband... im scared down low with high boost tq may be too high at higher hp level for the car to handle... But this is fn awesome regardless. Now I am kicking myself for getting rid of my 6M 135..... Down the line I am picking up a black 135 w red leather and going all out.. until than my vts2's will suffice in my 09 msport 335 in autotragic.. lol
      1. bdtsulev's Avatar
        bdtsulev -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        Here is the graph overlay from the one meth run. I literally turned the system on, and did a run. Nothing else, I lifted at like 5600 cause we were just testing IAT reaction and fuel recovery. Needless to say, the results were very interesting. We have a lot left in the 91 tune if we just get the fuel as you can see.
        Sounds like you guys need to run a secondary hpfp to really push this thing. Possibly belt driven or mounted in the oem location with an adapter. I know the diesel guys have been using dual pumps for a while now because they are more reliable than modified single pumps, so I think the same thing will work on the n54
      1. Blue24's Avatar
        Blue24 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
        Stttiiiccckkkkkyyyy????????? Where r u :p , how many SC M3s are going to be able to hang with a REAL gas +meth VTT stg3? I really really wanna know where our motor gives way though... m3s SC power is a lot easier taken with its powerband... im scared down low with high boost tq may be too high at higher hp level for the car to handle... But this is fn awesome regardless. Now I am kicking myself for getting rid of my 6M 135..... Down the line I am picking up a black 135 w red leather and going all out.. until than my vts2's will suffice in my 09 msport 335 in autotragic.. lol
        Lol, Told u not to sell it..... I see a bad $#@!ing blue one coming around in the near future!
      1. CaliforniaBred's Avatar
        CaliforniaBred -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
        Stttiiiccckkkkkyyyy????????? Where r u :p , how many SC M3s are going to be able to hang with a REAL gas +meth VTT stg3? I really really wanna know where our motor gives way though... m3s SC power is a lot easier taken with its powerband... im scared down low with high boost tq may be too high at higher hp level for the car to handle... But this is fn awesome regardless. Now I am kicking myself for getting rid of my 6M 135..... Down the line I am picking up a black 135 w red leather and going all out.. until than my vts2's will suffice in my 09 msport 335 in autotragic.. lol

        LOL autotragic. That had me going. Great job Tony. Looking forward to getting back to Cali.
      1. johmei's Avatar
        johmei -
        Wow, can't even imagine where this will end up..
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        More fuel/octane is really going to wake these turbos up. Imagine 30psi on these things. Great job Tony and PTF. This is going to be one really fast setup. Terry, can't wait to see a JB4 + BMS flash car too. Is it going on the 135i?