• Race video : Stock F10 M5 struggles with and gets beat by a stock P31 W204 C63 AMG in a 1/2 mile race

      More and more videos coming from the No Fly Zone event and this one is particularly telling. The F10 M5 has a twin turbocharged V8 and a dual clutch transmission. The C63 AMG in comparison has a 6.2 liter naturally aspirated V8 with an automatic transmission. Considering the F10 M5 has a large horsepower advantage of almost 100 wheel horsepower due to being underrated and putting down in 5XX wheel horsepower range stock a stock C63 AMG should be easy work for it especially in a half mile race.


      The C63 AMG has the P31 package which provides the 6.2 liter M156 V8 with stronger forged internals and a more aggressive tune. It is about equal to a C63 AMG with a tune on it so power should be somewhere in the low 420 WHP range. So the M5 has more power, but also a few hundred more pounds to carry.

      The C63 belongs to BenzBoost member @xtyper and he claims it is stock. The M5 is also stock. Hard to understand why the M5 does not pull away up top with all that horsepower.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Race video : Stock F10 M5 struggles with and gets beat by a stock P31 W204 C63 AMG in a 1/2 mile race started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 53 Comments
      1. Q4P's Avatar
        Q4P -
        Sticky... you have to make a call to Gustav to figure out what's going on... lololol
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
        Sticky... you have to make a call to Gustav to figure out what's going on... lololol
        We need Swedish cameras I guess?
      1. ultimateendz's Avatar
        ultimateendz -
        o boy...here come some arguments on M5 board....i can see it now....lol
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
        o boy...here come some arguments on M5 board....i can see it now....lol
        Click here to enlarge
      1. Q4P's Avatar
        Q4P -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        We need Swedish cameras I guess?
        in Amerika we use Go Pros and they are pretty telling... how hot was it out there? Mayne the car had massive heat soak at this point; or maybe it just got its ass handed.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
        in Amerika we use Go Pros and they are pretty telling... how hot was it out there? Mayne the car had massive heat soak at this point; or maybe it just got its ass handed.
        82 degrees. Not hot, not cold, just fine.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
        Sticky... you have to make a call to Gustav to figure out what's going on... lololol
        Click here to enlarge
      1. RnmEvo9's Avatar
        RnmEvo9 -
        I'm not surprised with the results considering the weight of that m5. Depending on how many runs both cars had before this, the M5 would be more prone to heatsoak in that kind of weather. But a win is a win, so congrats to the p31 c63.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
        I'm not surprised with the results considering the weight of that m5. Depending on how many runs both cars had before this, the M5 would be more prone to heatsoak in that kind of weather. But a win is a win, so congrats to the p31 c63.
        It's got almost 100 whp on it...
      1. ultimateendz's Avatar
        ultimateendz -
        i still cant wait till I come across a tuned one m5
      1. RnmEvo9's Avatar
        RnmEvo9 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's got almost 100 whp on it...
        If it was heat soaked, I guarantee it doesn't. Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
        If it was heat soaked, I guarantee it doesn't. Click here to enlarge
        *If*

        Shouldn't really matter though. These turbo motors aren't all they are cracked up to be...
      1. xtyper's Avatar
        xtyper -
        Hey guys, video C63 car owner here. Thanks Sticky for frontpaging the video.

        Believe me, both the M5 owner and myself were very surprised by the outcome. So much so, that we must have raced 5 times before the day was over. Every time, same result, almost dead even all the way to the finish line. The M5 owner was really cool, and I'm sure once he gets tuned it will be a very different story. Should note that I also raced another gray F10 M5 at the event with exhaust (another very cool guy), and although he beat me by about 2 cars, it was only because he jumped me at the start. By the end of the race I had stopped the pull. Had the start been even, it would have been a VERY close race, likely very similar to what you see here against the white M5.

        If any other F10 M5's want a piece of me, I'll be at the next airstrip event in April with longtubes and a tune. Click here to enlarge
      1. ultimateendz's Avatar
        ultimateendz -
        well i mean the M5 is alot heavier than the C63....remember the c63 vs the V and how the c63 beat it by a hair?....weight is the only thing i can see contributing to it....still doesnt make sense....i mean...im pulling at hairs here trying to see it....lol
      1. Q4P's Avatar
        Q4P -
        lol... but it beat a tuned z06? man...
      1. Afriedman's Avatar
        Afriedman -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xtyper Click here to enlarge
        Hey guys, video C63 car owner here. Thanks Sticky for frontpaging the video.

        Believe me, both the M5 owner and myself were very surprised by the outcome. So much so, that we must have raced 5 times before the day was over. Every time, same result, almost dead even all the way to the finish line. The M5 owner was really cool, and I'm sure once he gets tuned it will be a very different story. Should note that I also raced another gray F10 M5 at the event with exhaust (another very cool guy), and although he beat me by about 2 cars, it was only because he jumped me at the start. By the end of the race I had stopped the pull. Had the start been even, it would have been a VERY close race, likely very similar to what you see here against the white M5.

        If any other F10 M5's want a piece of me, I'll be at the next airstrip event in April with longtubes and a tune. Click here to enlarge
        Hey there buddy. I sent you a PM so we can hook up off the race track. I know whatever Benz you drive, it will be a monster. Your e63 sure was. What engine option or tune did you have that gave you the 510hp? The guys on the BMW forum don't get what I'm talking about. I know you said it was the Black Series motor. Did you buy the car that way or was that done at the dealer?

        Look forward to our next race.

        Arnie
      1. 5soko's Avatar
        5soko -
        Wasn't Jon on this forum with the C63 and OE tune, dead even with a stock F10 too? Im starting to think all of these magic F10 M5's are tuned on the low. I always wondered how a 120mph trap car (M5) was walking hard, in the high teens mph trap cars.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Afriedman Click here to enlarge
        Hey there buddy. I sent you a PM so we can hook up off the race track. I know whatever Benz you drive, it will be a monster. Your e63 sure was. What engine option or tune did you have that gave you the 510hp? The guys on the BMW forum don't get what I'm talking about. I know you said it was the Black Series motor. Did you buy the car that way or was that done at the dealer?

        Look forward to our next race.

        Arnie
        LOL - that's a good one.
      1. xtyper's Avatar
        xtyper -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Afriedman Click here to enlarge
        Hey there buddy. I sent you a PM so we can hook up off the race track. I know whatever Benz you drive, it will be a monster. Your e63 sure was. What engine option or tune did you have that gave you the 510hp? The guys on the BMW forum don't get what I'm talking about. I know you said it was the Black Series motor. Did you buy the car that way or was that done at the dealer?

        Look forward to our next race.

        Arnie
        Hey Arnie, nice to see you on here!

        I think there was some confusion when we talked about my car at the event. While my car with the P31 package supposedly has the same engine as the Black Series (M156 w/ forged internals), it does not come with the same stock hp rating (481hp for my car vs 510hp for the Black). Most assume this is attributable to a more aggressive factory tune put on the Black Series. However, most dyno runs of the P31 show it is underrated and actually making closer to the 510 crank horsepower that the Black Series is rated at. That's not to suggest it's really making the same power as the Black Series, because my suspicion is that the Black Series is a bit underrated itself.

        BS expert guys, feel free to correct anything I mispoke about.

        Hope that helps to clarify things a bit. And yes, we definitely need to hook up off the race track!
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        I hear what you're trying to say. It's not a black series motor since they are all M156 motors. It might have a similar tune and hp as a Black Series....but there are also other M156's like the SL, CL and S class that got an even hotter tune pushing those to 525hp IIRC. IMO the P31 pkg was just another marketing technique by Mercedes. Sure it's got forged internals, but that really doesn't mean much. Or were they trying to say that the bottom end needs to be upgraded for the extra hp from the tune ? Probably not considering there are many people putting far more power than that on non forged M156's. Either way, you have a quick car no doubt...and with long tubes and a tune it will totally change the car.