Close

    • Burger Tuning (BMS) N20 F30 328i JB4 Stage 2 Dyno Testing on E85 cracks 300 wheel horsepower - New World Record, dynojet graph.

      Hey guys, We've been working on the JB4 for the N20 motor (Stage2) for the last few weeks and have made some solid progress. Enough so that we finally decided to hit the dyno up to quantify things a bit. The results were very impressive. For JB4 development we've removed the ER downpipe so its now fully stock right down to the factory paper air filter. Only mod is the JB4 and a 50% mixture of E85 fuel and 91 octane (e.g. approx E40 fuel).


      Results: A new N20 2.0l world dyno record: 300+whp and 350+wtq!!! We did a run before we started on the factory tuning (only with E85 fuel) and hit 237whp. So gains were as high as +70whp (~90 crank hp) in areas under the curve.

      A few comments:

      1) We're not ready to release all of the tuning details but I will say peak boost was around 23psi (compared to 17psi factory), and in areas under the curve we were making as much as 10psi more than the factory.

      2) As expected the platform LOVES E85 fuel. Performance on 91 or 93 octane fuel will be substantially lower but will be stronger than Stage1 power levels. In the coming weeks we'll be posting dynos and additional data on 91 and 93 octane.

      3) During testing we opened up the airbox to simulate a high flow intake and determine the potential for intake power gains. In doing so we found exactly zero horsepower gained even at these high boost levels. The factory airbox is simply not a restriction at 300rwp. For this reason we suggest you use only the factory airbox with the N20 platform. Companies claiming gains with intakes on this platform are fooling themselves and/or you.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: N20 328i JB4 Dyno Testing -- New World Record. :) started by Terry@BMS View original post
      Comments 91 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Weyne Click here to enlarge
        Hi Ivete got a 328 dp full magnaflow exaust and afe stage 2air intake and stage 1 Bms,as the stage 2 will be avaible,i most have,my question is;can i use etanol 100% ,in my contry is Very common.and how many whp, Shold get?
        So you're asking if you can use 100% ethanol? I don't think the stock N20 even supports 100% ethanol. You will most likely want a blend.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Weyne Click here to enlarge
        Hi Ivete got a 328 dp full magnaflow exaust and afe stage 2air intake and stage 1 Bms,as the stage 2 will be avaible,i most have,my question is;can i use etanol 100% ,in my contry is Very common.and how many whp, Shold get?
        @Terry@BMS
      1. Weyne's Avatar
        Weyne -
        85% and gas with 96oct?
      1. rustyminded's Avatar
        rustyminded -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
        as far as i and many others are concerned, the efficiency will kill this company and its enthusiast fan base
        a lot still prefers NA engines and for me I still miss the old sound of I6
      1. rustyminded's Avatar
        rustyminded -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        So is the 60hp difference just with the tune. If so, why buy a 328i?
        simply if you push more power with same consumption that's called efficiency 60 more hp and same miles per gallon so 28i is a better choice
      1. rustyminded's Avatar
        rustyminded -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rustyminded Click here to enlarge
        simply if you push more power with same consumption that's called efficiency 60 more hp and same miles per gallon so 28i is a better choice
        and besides a tune for 20i will reach 28i but a tune for 28i will reach 35i and more too with stage 2 all that with same miles per gallon simply best choice of the f30
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rustyminded Click here to enlarge
        and besides a tune for 20i will reach 28i but a tune for 28i will reach 35i and more too with stage 2 all that with same miles per gallon simply best choice of the f30
        If the 20i and 28i have the same turbo they will both reach the same thing.
      1. amclint's Avatar
        amclint -
        Drove one of these as a loaner again, ran the vbox against it and it runs strong. 0-60 in 5.6 where my 335xi stock does 5.0 seconds.

        Bang for the buck on a 320i with a tune is just awesome.
      1. rustyminded's Avatar
        rustyminded -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        If the 20i and 28i have the same turbo they will both reach the same thing.
        I've searched for 20i tunes and max was 240 hp
      1. rustyminded's Avatar
        rustyminded -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        The Stage1 can't do what the Stage2 can do, lol. Most we've been able to make with the Stage1 on race gas all maxed out was around 270whp. The big difference maker is the CAN access which gives the Stage2 a lot more data to use for tuning than the Stage1 has access to via the 4 external sensors alone.
        what do you mean by maxed out like over 5 psi with race gas ? and what if I bought the CAN tool will it help ? and nice work btw you've done very good job with stage 1 already
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rustyminded Click here to enlarge
        I've searched for 20i tunes and max was 240 hp
        I'm trying to figure out why that is.
      1. sammy_0559's Avatar
        sammy_0559 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rustyminded Click here to enlarge
        man go check their website all you have to do is wait for their stage 2 60 whp more for n55
        dude i was being sarcastic i have a fully modded n54...
      1. rustyminded's Avatar
        rustyminded -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammy_0559 Click here to enlarge
        dude i was being sarcastic i have a fully modded n54...
        wohaa respect to the best tune-able engine Click here to enlarge
      1. rustyminded's Avatar
        rustyminded -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Weyne Click here to enlarge
        Hi Ivete got a 328 dp full magnaflow exaust and afe stage 2air intake and stage 1 Bms,as the stage 2 will be avaible,i most have,my question is;can i use etanol 100% ,in my contry is Very common.and how many whp, Shold get?
        I recommend afe scoop too, btw did u feel any difference from stage 2 intake and how come you didn't dyno your car yet we want to know results man !!Click here to enlarge
      1. Weyne's Avatar
        Weyne -
        The 320 Neves ever hás the saem whp,!!!
        320 11,5:1
        328 10:1
        the bote are diferent
      1. rustyminded's Avatar
        rustyminded -
        when it's 260 whp it's under five seconds.. through dp, exhaust, intake, intercooler maybe turbo upgrade next 2 yrs wait till it hit 350 whp, I believe in this engine potentials
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rustyminded Click here to enlarge
        when it's 260 whp it's under five seconds.. through dp, exhaust, intake, intercooler maybe turbo upgrade next 2 yrs wait till it hit 350 whp, I believe in this engine potentials
        Same here.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rustyminded Click here to enlarge
        what do you mean by maxed out like over 5 psi with race gas ? and what if I bought the CAN tool will it help ? and nice work btw you've done very good job with stage 1 already
        The Stage1 can not do the same things the Stage2 can do and thus can not produce anywhere near the same power gains.

        For those with N20/N26 motors keep your money on the intakes and scoops. They do nothing for you.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        For those with N20/N26 motors keep your money on the intakes and scoops
        Difference between N20 and N26?
      1. rustyminded's Avatar
        rustyminded -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Difference between N20 and N26?
        and how do I know which engine I got ?