• IND-Distribution and AMS Performance attempting to take the F10 M5 S63tu Twin Turbo V8 to 1000+ horsepower - M5 Alpha with forged internals and big turbos

      Everyone knew that turbo motors in M cars meant far more tuning would be taking place as well as some very big gains. Well, AMS Performance of Nissan GT-R Alpha package fame will be applying their expertise to the S63tu V8 in the F10 M5 as well as the F12/F13 M6. The goal is over 1000 horsepower and BimmerBoost does not doubt it will be achieved although obviously the build process, testing, and development is going to take some time.


      IND and AMS point out that some of the components in the S63tu are not built with huge aftermarket power gains in mind. No surprise here as BMW just wants the car to last the warranty period so that means the lowest cost components that will suffice for this time period. AMS is not going further into what components they need to replace but obviously there will be a good amount of OEM parts that will not cut it for 1000+ horsepower.

      Here are photos of the stock rods, pistons, rings, and wrist pins all of which will obviously be replaced with stronger aftermarket components:




      Something interesting to note is that the top of the piston states N63/S63tu. The N63tu and S63tu both share the same compression ratio and with the markings on the piston it sure seems safe to come to the conclusion that the S63tu and N63tu pistons are the exact same thing to save BMW money. Easy to see why this is an area to upgrade with BMW sharing components with less powerful motors and cutting costs. Hey, welcome to the BMW turbo era.

      That's it for now, we will all have to wait and see how this develops but considering the results AMS has achieved with the GT-R BimmerBoost certainly is confident the 1000+ hp goal will be reached... eventually.

      Video of the M5 on the AMS dnyo below:

      This article was originally published in forum thread: IND-Disitrubtion and AMS Performance attempting to take the F10 M5 S63tu Twin Turbo V8 to 1000+ horsepower - M5 Alpha with forged internals and big turbos started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 75 Comments
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        I can't wait to see how this turns out. Might convince me to get one of these some day. I'd love to see this platform hit the 1000 hp mark. Of course, the M157 will always have an advantage. It's purpose-built, much bigger, and doesn't have to deal with strange turbo placement. It will be much easier to get 1000 hp out of an M157, they're close now. But, a fully built S63 will have huge potential, I'm thinking a good bit more than 1000 hp someday. Very excited to see this happen.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        I can't wait to see how this turns out. Might convince me to get one of these some day. I'd love to see this platform hit the 1000 hp mark. Of course, the M157 will always have an advantage. It's purpose-built, much bigger, and doesn't have to deal with strange turbo placement. It will be much easier to get 1000 hp out of an M157, they're close now. But, a fully built S63 will have huge potential, I'm thinking a good bit more than 1000 hp someday. Very excited to see this happen.
        They are both purpose built.

        It's really too early to tell right now. The M157 is limited by space keep in mind whereas the turbos here are top mounted. I think you are calling it way too early.

        The S63TU also revs higher.
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        True. I'm not saying that 7 years from now, they won't be making similar power. But it's hard to deny the ease of bolting on turbos and ICs to an M157 and having an engine that can make 905 hp on race gas. Will not be seeing that from the S63, those rods are not looking up to the task. It looks like the S63 is unfortunately a bit more "cost-cut" than we would like to see, but a built one should be beastly. Hopefully they are hard at work on it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        True. I'm not saying that 7 years from now, they won't be making similar power. But it's hard to deny the ease of bolting on turbos and ICs to an M157 and having an engine that can make 905 hp on race gas. Will not be seeing that from the S63, those rods are not looking up to the task. It looks like the S63 is unfortunately a bit more "cost-cut" than we would like to see, but a built one should be beastly. Hopefully they are hard at work on it.
        Once again, it's just too early to tell.

        Bolt on performance is pretty close thus far and I don't think we've even seen the best bolt on's have to offer yet certainly not for the S63TU.

        Regarding ease of bolting on turbos, I have to say that goes in the S63's favor. There is not a ton of room (and I have talked to tuners working on the M157 in this regard) to upgrade the M157 turbos/manifolds.

        So, perhaps the S63 will be able to go to bigger turbos? We'll just have to wait and see. It's going to be fun!
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Once again, it's just too early to tell.

        Bolt on performance is pretty close thus far and I don't think we've even seen the best bolt on's have to offer yet certainly not for the S63TU.

        Regarding ease of bolting on turbos, I have to say that goes in the S63's favor. There is not a ton of room (and I have talked to tuners working on the M157 in this regard) to upgrade the M157 turbos/manifolds.

        So, perhaps the S63 will be able to go to bigger turbos? We'll just have to wait and see. It's going to be fun!
        Most definitely. I don't think there's much room in the V of the S63 for turbos either, so it will be very interesting to see what happens. I want an excuse to buy an F10 M5 Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        Most definitely. I don't think there's much room in the V of the S63 for turbos either, so it will be very interesting to see what happens. I want an excuse to buy an F10 M5 Click here to enlarge
        But you can always go up Click here to enlarge
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        But you can always go up Click here to enlarge
        Haha this is true. Have you seen the video of the X6M with turbos so big they're coming out of the V? Its funny, although I don't know what happened to that thing.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        Haha this is true. Have you seen the video of the X6M with turbos so big they're coming out of the V? Its funny, although I don't know what happened to that thing.
        I know exactly what you are referring to. Nothing ever came of it.
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        What a shame...that could have been vital R&D Click here to enlarge
      1. G0TB00ST?'s Avatar
        G0TB00ST? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        Haha this is true. Have you seen the video of the X6M with turbos so big they're coming out of the V? Its funny, although I don't know what happened to that thing.
        This one?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
        That's the one.
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

        The S63TU also revs higher.

        Bingo and we have a winner.

        I am an ex crypto engineer.... well 23 years ago I finished.. but having spoken to many people about the S63 it will not be an easy job as the boffins at BMW seem mighty determined to avoid the N54 secondary market explosion in the higher end S63

        IMHO - if this mod costs anywhere near $100k I cannot see a critical mass of M5 people jumping on board when their original investment was $100k and they can go and buy a new Merc and add bolt ons to get to near 900hp for far less... or they can sell their M5 and buy another near $150-200k high performance vehicle
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
        Bingo and we have a winner.

        I am an ex crypto engineer.... well 23 years ago I finished.. but having spoken to many people about the S63 it will not be an easy job as the boffins at BMW seem mighty determined to avoid the N54 secondary market explosion in the higher end S63

        IMHO - if this mod costs anywhere near $100k I cannot see a critical mass of M5 people jumping on board when their original investment was $100k and they can go and buy a new Merc and add bolt ons to get to near 900hp for far less... or they can sell their M5 and buy another near $150-200k high performance vehicle
        There is no way this will cost 100k, just doesn't make sense. I mean, with every possible possible modification AMS could ever make, installed, car shipped, tuned, basically turn key, I could see maybe 60-75 MAX for this. I'm really just interested to see their turbo upgrade kit + ESS tune, once ESS cracks the ECU.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        There is no way this will cost 100k, just doesn't make sense. I mean, with every possible possible modification AMS could ever make, installed, car shipped, tuned, basically turn key, I could see maybe 60-75 MAX for this. I'm really just interested to see their turbo upgrade kit + ESS tune, once ESS cracks the ECU.
        Everyone is waiting on the ECU to be cracked. It isn't ESS that will crack it. They will pay for the same keys as everyone else.
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Everyone is waiting on the ECU to be cracked. It isn't ESS that will crack it. They will pay for the same keys as everyone else.
        Either way, this should be amazing.