Close

    • The difference the right Winter tire makes - Rear wheel drive E46 M3 with Michelin Alpin 4 versus FWD, AWD, and RWD on summer tires in the snow

      This video comparison shows what a huge difference having the right winter tire makes for your car. Even if one has all wheel drive putting summer tires on all four corners does not seem to help anywhere as much as having a dedicated winter tire. The E46 M3 has Michelin Alpin 4 tires and is able on a snow covered incline to do get better traction than any of the cars next to it on summer tires whether they be front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, or all wheel drive for that matter.


      Very impressive tire from Michelin and a great comparison, check out the videos below.





      This article was originally published in forum thread: The importance of winter tires in snow started by DavidV View original post
      Comments 27 Comments
      1. themyst's Avatar
        themyst -
        I'll just leave this video here... my 335i RWD 6AT in a good bit of snowy weather. Continental DWS. Performed extremely well. They hook great in dry weather too.

      1. M3GTtt's Avatar
        M3GTtt -
        Studded tires are not legal on mainland Europe, but a nice set of narrow 225 winter tires will do nicely


        Click here to enlarge
      1. M3GTtt's Avatar
        M3GTtt -
      1. GoBlando's Avatar
        GoBlando -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
        Studded tires are not legal on mainland Europe, but a nice set of narrow 225 winter tires will do nicely
        Great point, narrow is a huge help for digging down in that snow.
      1. M3GTtt's Avatar
        M3GTtt -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GoBlando Click here to enlarge
        Great point, narrow is a huge help for digging down in that snow.
        yup.. more pressure pr contact point.. Just look at the WRC winter tires Click here to enlarge

        Attachment 26212
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GoBlando Click here to enlarge
        narrow is a huge help for digging down in that snow.
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
        more pressure pr contact point
        Great suggestions if you live in an area where winter delivers fresh snow all winter.
        For the most of us 225 wide tires just don't provide enough grip when the roads are black.
        I drove around on a 205 square setup for 4 winters until I was so fed up with it I decided to go for wider tires.
        225 front and 255 rear winter setup for me. With fresh snow it almost feels like you have flat rear tires because of the 3cm width difference, but as soon as the snow is compacted by traffic there is tons of grip, and when it's just cold with no snow (60% of winter times at least) it still is fun to drive.
      1. xbox_fan's Avatar
        xbox_fan -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
        Great suggestions if you live in an area where winter delivers fresh snow all winter.
        For the most of us 225 wide tires just don't provide enough grip when the roads are black.
        I drove around on a 205 square setup for 4 winters until I was so fed up with it I decided to go for wider tires.
        225 front and 255 rear winter setup for me. With fresh snow it almost feels like you have flat rear tires because of the 3cm width difference, but as soon as the snow is compacted by traffic there is tons of grip, and when it's just cold with no snow (60% of winter times at least) it still is fun to drive.
        My winters are a bit wide though, running 295x30 in the rear Click here to enlarge