• Car and Driver tests the updated xDrive/all wheel drive long wheelbase 2013 F01 Alpina B7 with the N63TU V8 featuring 540 horsepower

      The Alpina B7 got a horsepower bump as did every BMW N63 powered car (50i powered models, SUV's did not get the updated motor) thanks to the addition of Valvetronic and software changes. Alpina takes things a bit further with their upgraded turbochargers, intercoolers, and forged internals for an output of 540 horsepower over 445 horsepower of the 750i. This makes the Alpina B7 the closest thing to a BMW M7 that one can actually purchase since for now BMW thinks an M 7-Series does not fit the brand although SUV's somehow do.


      Regardless, Car and Driver got pretty good numbers out of the car. A 12.2@115 1/4 mile which is much better than the 12.6@113 MotorTrend achieved when the 2013 Alpina B7 was put up against the 2013 Audi S8 and quite simply crushed. This is thanks to this being the all wheel drive version so a better launch was possible. The weight difference is pretty substantial however with Car and Driver weighing the all wheel drive long wheelbase B7 at 5037 pounds versus MotorTrend getting 4712 for the rear wheel drive. Over 300 pounds, significant, which makes it impressive the car trapped higher despite the all wheel drive and weight penalty.

      The car pulls an impressive .93g on the skidpad even with its heft. A very well tuned chassis by Alpina.

      Car and Driver really liked the 2013 B7 but criticized the steering and feedback which is a shame. Is this car worth the premium of about $40-$50k over a standard 750i for a total of $146,845 as tested? Probably only if there isn't an Audi S8 next to it which is faster, more fun to drive, lighter, and cheaper.



      This article was originally published in forum thread: Car and Driver tests the updated xDrive/all wheel drive long wheelbase 2013 F01 Alpina B7 with the N63TU V8 featuring 540 horsepower started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 13 Comments
      1. inlineS54B32's Avatar
        inlineS54B32 -
        That's a very fast sedan - especially when you consider it's weight. 0-100 in less time than a stock E60 M5? Amazing.

        You bring up a good point: why does BMW make "M series" sport utility vehicles, and not things like an M7? Whoever is ruining the marketing overe there needs a pulse.
      1. DFM's Avatar
        DFM -
        "Test notes: Not a chirp during launch"

        Thats why it can pull on a e60 m5 in a 0-100 race....538lb-ft (not the wheel torque number i know) getting to the pavement almost immediately through all wheel drive traction.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
        "Test notes: Not a chirp during launch"

        Thats why it can pull on a e60 m5 in a 0-100 race....538lb-ft (not the wheel torque number i know) getting to the pavement almost immediately through all wheel drive traction.
        True but I'm struggling to understand the rear wheel drive cars slower trap with a lot less weight although different mags different days. I feel like this one is almost stronger after the fact or maybe it is just in the launch thanks to all wheel drive.
      1. DFM's Avatar
        DFM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        True but I'm struggling to understand the rear wheel drive cars slower trap with a lot less weight although different mags different days. I feel like this one is almost stronger after the fact or maybe it is just in the launch thanks to all wheel drive.
        We need 60' times.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
        We need 60' times.
        These mags adhere to their old data standards. 60' should have been added ages ago.
      1. Itsbrokeagain's Avatar
        Itsbrokeagain -
        Its the x drive. RWD with that kinda torque will just incinerate tires.
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        My cousin has one. Absolutely love the car in person.
      1. FRD135i's Avatar
        FRD135i -
        I'm just glad they finally did something after being stomped by the S8 in MT. Long way to go but at least they woke up a bit
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FRD135i Click here to enlarge
        I'm just glad they finally did something after being stomped by the S8 in MT. Long way to go but at least they woke up a bit
        Didn't really do much other than add xDrive it seems...
      1. StinkyM's Avatar
        StinkyM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
        That's a very fast sedan - especially when you consider it's weight. 0-100 in less time than a stock E60 M5? Amazing.

        You bring up a good point: why does BMW make "M series" sport utility vehicles, and not things like an M7? Whoever is ruining the marketing overe there needs a pulse.
        Because they are selling better than most M cars.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
        Because they are selling better than most M cars.
        True but the argument if they do the SUV's why not the 7 which is arguably more deserving?
      1. nismo370's Avatar
        nismo370 -
        Jesus christ the cars are just getting heavier and heavier lol
      1. 654's Avatar
        654 -
        Big difference only by adding xi.