Close

    • How much faster is a supercharged E92 M3 versus a stock E92 M3? This much.

      Here is a video that will do a better job explaining the difference between a supercharged and standard M3 than any dyno numbers ever will. The camera car is a 6-speed manual E92 M3 with a supercharged S65 V8 courtesy of an ESS VT2-625 kit. The other M3 is also a 6-speed manual but not supercharged and seemingly in a stock configuration. The difference is illustrated quite well with the distance between the two measured in miles rather than car lengths.


      Thank you BimmerBoost member @Pea for the video.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: How much faster is a supercharged E92 M3 versus a stock E92 M3? This much. started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 81 Comments
      1. Andrew@activeautowerke's Avatar
        Andrew@activeautowerke -
        Not all drivability issues can be seen on a Dyno. Not saying it has any but just saying ..
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Pea Click here to enlarge
        The powerband may be different if you use a smaller SC
        Size is one thing shape of impeller and internal gearing is another.
      1. Andrew@activeautowerke's Avatar
        Andrew@activeautowerke -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Size is one thing shape of impeller and internal gearing is another.
        Correct A vortech would self destruct at anything over 70,000 Rpm while our blowers are running around 95-110,000 rpm
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
        Correct A vortech would self destruct at anything over 70,000 Rpm while our blowers are running around 95-110,000 rpm
        I am correct but you are somewhat incorrect regarding the Vortech self-destructing at anything over 70,000 RPM. Stock blowers have seen 80k+ without self-destructing and that is with a larger impeller that is much more difficult to spin to that rpm.
      1. GuidoK's Avatar
        GuidoK -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
        Sweet lag in the mid range Click here to enlarge
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Pea Click here to enlarge
        I find it hard to say that a SC M3 has a lag
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
        Not all drivability issues can be seen on a Dyno.
        But you also cannot tell if there's any lag from this video....
        1. you have no idea how far the throttle is open (or how far, fast and when the pedal is pressed) from either of the cars.
        2. you don't even know if the cars started in the same gear.

        The only real lag in this video is the stock m3 lagging behind Click here to enlarge
      1. Andrew@activeautowerke's Avatar
        Andrew@activeautowerke -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I am correct but you are somewhat incorrect regarding the Vortech self-destructing at anything over 70,000 RPM. Stock blowers have seen 80k+ without self-destructing and that is with a larger impeller that is much more difficult to spin to that rpm.
        Well I have never spun one up until it blew so I could be wrong.

        V-3 SCI SUPERCHARGER

        Click here to enlarge


        Max Speed:53000 RPMMax
        Boost:17 PSIMax
        Flow:1050 CFMMax
        Power:725 HPPeak
        Efficiency:75%Discharge
        OD:2.75"Inlet OD:3.5"Discharge
        ID:2.38"Inducer Diameter:3.1"
        Max Speed:53000 RPMMax Boost:17 PSIMax Flow:1050 CFMMax Power:725 HPPeak Efficiency:75%Discharge OD:2.75"Inlet OD:3.5"Discharge ID:2.38"Inducer Diameter:3.1"

        Max Speed:53000 RPMMax Boost:17 PSIMax Flow:1050 CFMMax Power:725 HPPeak Efficiency:75%Discharge OD:2.75"Inlet OD:3.5"Discharge ID:2.38"Inducer Diameter:3.1"
        53000 RPMMax Boost:17 PSIMax Flow:1050 CFMMax Power:725 HPPeak Efficiency:75%Discharge OD:2.75"Inlet OD:3.5"Discharge ID:2.38"Inducer Diameter:3.1"
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Pea Click here to enlarge
        I find it hard to say that a SC M3 has a lag , i is not a turbocar, the throttle response is like a cobra.
        The powerband may be different if you use a smaller SC
        EVERY forced induction platform has some lag, supercharged or turbocharged. While turbo lag might be more known & noticeable, but if you floor a supercharged M3 there is going to be a slight delay (not noticeable on a dyno sheet, and obviously different blowers will be less/more responsive).
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
        Well I have never spun one up until it blew so I could be wrong.

        V-3 SCI SUPERCHARGER

        http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...70xlarge-1.jpg


        Max Speed:53000 RPMMax
        Boost:17 PSIMax
        Flow:1050 CFMMax
        Power:725 HPPeak
        Efficiency:75%Discharge
        OD:2.75"Inlet OD:3.5"Discharge
        ID:2.38"Inducer Diameter:3.1"
        Max Speed:53000 RPMMax Boost:17 PSIMax Flow:1050 CFMMax Power:725 HPPeak Efficiency:75%Discharge OD:2.75"Inlet OD:3.5"Discharge ID:2.38"Inducer Diameter:3.1"

        Max Speed:53000 RPMMax Boost:17 PSIMax Flow:1050 CFMMax Power:725 HPPeak Efficiency:75%Discharge OD:2.75"Inlet OD:3.5"Discharge ID:2.38"Inducer Diameter:3.1"
        53000 RPMMax Boost:17 PSIMax Flow:1050 CFMMax Power:725 HPPeak Efficiency:75%Discharge OD:2.75"Inlet OD:3.5"Discharge ID:2.38"Inducer Diameter:3.1"
        Ya lower rpm but higher CFM. The YSI in competition is regularly taken to 80k+
      1. NatAsp-M3's Avatar
        NatAsp-M3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Then give it a thumb down. What's the problem?...
        Active is free to post whatever they want. If you find it in poor taste go ahead and point it out or rate it.
        No problem, I'm just pointing out my take on it (via comments) since I assume I'm also allowed to post whatever I want just as freely as Active, and I'm not limited to only rating, right? - a rating system which I think is easily driven by animosity rather than content. And that's all fine and dandy as well, I just choose not to make much of it... and much use of it.
      1. NatAsp-M3's Avatar
        NatAsp-M3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
        Well I have never spun one up until it blew so I could be wrong.

        V-3 SCI SUPERCHARGER

        http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...70xlarge-1.jpg


        Max Speed:53000 RPMMax
        Boost:17 PSIMax
        Flow:1050 CFMMax
        Power:725 HPPeak
        Efficiency:75%Discharge
        OD:2.75"Inlet OD:3.5"Discharge
        ID:2.38"Inducer Diameter:3.1"
        Max Speed:53000 RPMMax Boost:17 PSIMax Flow:1050 CFMMax Power:725 HPPeak Efficiency:75%Discharge OD:2.75"Inlet OD:3.5"Discharge ID:2.38"Inducer Diameter:3.1"

        Max Speed:53000 RPMMax Boost:17 PSIMax Flow:1050 CFMMax Power:725 HPPeak Efficiency:75%Discharge OD:2.75"Inlet OD:3.5"Discharge ID:2.38"Inducer Diameter:3.1"
        53000 RPMMax Boost:17 PSIMax Flow:1050 CFMMax Power:725 HPPeak Efficiency:75%Discharge OD:2.75"Inlet OD:3.5"Discharge ID:2.38"Inducer Diameter:3.1"
        These are all so primitive, when you think about it in regards to blowing. With active pitch control (nothing to do with active autowerke, btw) they never would.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NatAsp-M3 Click here to enlarge
        rating, right? - a rating system which I think is easily driven by animosity rather than content.
        If that was actually the case then why would the majority of people be in majorly positive numbers?
      1. bigup's Avatar
        bigup -
        Very believable comparison .. I recently traded my 335i for a 2012 M3 and it feels very underwhelming stock.

        Now I just have to figure out which supercharger to go in a sea of superchargers (and of course how to pay for the thing!).
      1. NatAsp-M3's Avatar
        NatAsp-M3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        If that was actually the case then why would the majority of people be in majorly positive numbers?
        I meant my comment in regards to negative reps. Regarding majority positive reps, I would think that would be because the content and quality of members here, regardless of the rating system, is very good. I also wouldn't ignore that there are benefits to having positive reps, right?
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
        Now I just have to figure out which supercharger to go in a sea of superchargers
        Im one of the few, if only, guys to drive multiple brands, if you need some help Click here to enlarge
      1. longboarder's Avatar
        longboarder -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
        Very believable comparison .. I recently traded my 335i for a 2012 M3 and it feels very underwhelming stock.

        Now I just have to figure out which supercharger to go in a sea of superchargers (and of course how to pay for the thing!).
        The M3 does feel underwhelming stock however it is very deceiving. Like you, I came from a 335 (stock turbo 19psi, meth, LSD, coils) which made 413/446 RWHP/TQ. My M3 wasn't stock for long, but did make 365 RWHP so not that far off, although felt so much slower because it was down 200+ RWTQ. However when driven to it's limit it was not that much slower than the 335 in a straight line based on some VBox pulls on the same hot day and certainly faster on a track.

        I would recommend NOT going with an entry level non-intercooled S/C's as the two that I ran against weren't any faster than my 335. (one DCT and one 6MT ESS 535 M3's). By comparison, I ran an ESS 625 M3 the same day as I ran Roman's ESS 535 6MT M3 and the difference was HUGE.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
        Very believable comparison .. I recently traded my 335i for a 2012 M3 and it feels very underwhelming stock.

        Now I just have to figure out which supercharger to go in a sea of superchargers (and of course how to pay for the thing!).
        You have to understand the differences of each, and how to drive each to enjoy it. Im assuming your M3 is stock? I prefer my Evolve tuned catless M3 to my FBO/RB 335 any day because of what i want and expect from a car. is one faster than the other, sure is. Which one do I thoroughly enjoy driving day in and day out. the M, hands down. which do I feel is like a special vehicle that few choose and even fewer know what it is.. the M. if all your looking for is instant tq and chirping the tires from every light, then the 335 is your game. if you want to feel like any road is your personal $#@!, the M Click here to enlarge
      1. NikB316's Avatar
        NikB316 -
        LM,
        Very well put! I had a 2007 335xi sedan which I think was the first year of the famous N54. I had a SSTT and then went for a JB tune. The car was fun but it was nowhere close to an M! Just a year later I ended up leasing an 08 M3 as well so I had both cars for quite a bit of time with the M3 being fairly stock. The 335 may have been faster but it felt like a regular BMW whereas the M really feels like something special. Now keep in mind I had the 335 in auto and M3 in DCT which probably make it even more of a night and day difference. After driving a car with DCT, a regular automatic feels SO boring! I always love driving different cars however the M3 was such a perfect daily driver that less than a year after returning my 08 M3 lease and having a Carrera 4S and Continental GT, I was back in another M3...supercharged though Click here to enlarge .

        The M3 is the best daily driver I've driven hands down. I would be interested I'm driving the new RS5 and upcoming AMGs with AWD (rear bias) and DCT. All of the AMGs and S5s I have driven have not impressed me at all. They didn't feel any more special than a regular BMW IMO. Maybe different if you are a 6spd kinda guy.



        BigUp,
        Make sure you do your HW on s/c kits and you are in a good community over here with a lot of unbiased info. There seems to be far too much BS in the FI BMW community than one would expect. If you are in the NJ area for any reason I insist you take my car for a spin! Try to drive the other kits as well and you'll have yourself a nice comparison. From my ownership of an Active Gen 1 Stage 2 kit, Gen 2 Stage 3 kit and having driven an ESS 625/650 kit, I can say I am 100% happy with my Gen 2 Stage 3 kit. It by far has the smoothest feel to it and is significantly faster than the Gen 1. I think you'll be very happy with any of the Gen 2 kits. I should have a nice review typed up in the next week or so.


        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        You have to understand the differences of each, and how to drive each to enjoy it. Im assuming your M3 is stock? I prefer my Evolve tuned catless M3 to my FBO/RB 335 any day because of what i want and expect from a car. is one faster than the other, sure is. Which one do I thoroughly enjoy driving day in and day out. the M, hands down. which do I feel is like a special vehicle that few choose and even fewer know what it is.. the M. if all your looking for is instant tq and chirping the tires from every light, then the 335 is your game. if you want to feel like any road is your personal $#@!, the M Click here to enlarge
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        @Nik Thanks, I'll be going to N/A for a week or so, in a bout a week, before the car gets traded in, but Im eager to swap cars for a few miles to see how the new AA setup is going


        Cars ive driven/been driven in:

        N/A 6MT E92 M3
        Evolve Tuned DCT E92 M3
        Powerchips Tuned DCT E90 DCT M3
        AA Stg2 E90 DCT M3
        ESS 625 E90 6MT M3
        ESS 625 E92 DCT M3
        VF620 DCT E92 M3
        ESS 550 DCT E92 M3

        I can tell you the pro's and cons of each Click here to enlarge
      1. Andrew@activeautowerke's Avatar
        Andrew@activeautowerke -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        @Nik Thanks, I'll be going to N/A for a week or so, in a bout a week, before the car gets traded in, but Im eager to swap cars for a few miles to see how the new AA setup is going


        Cars ive driven/been driven in:

        N/A 6MT E92 M3
        Evolve Tuned DCT E92 M3
        Powerchips Tuned DCT E90 DCT M3
        AA Stg2 E90 DCT M3
        ESS 625 E90 6MT M3
        ESS 625 E92 DCT M3
        VF620 DCT E92 M3
        ESS 550 DCT E92 M3

        I can tell you the pro's and cons of each Click here to enlarge
        That is a pretty large list.. Add our lvl 3 to it and lets hear your opinion .
      1. NikB316's Avatar
        NikB316 -
        Sounds good! I'll keep you posted on my plans but I'm hoping to drop the car off to Rick tomorrow evening and pick it up Wednesday evening. I'll give you a shout when I have something more concrete.

        Thats one hell of an M3 list!