• Watch a Dinan 4.6 liter stroker S65 V8 E92 M3 get smacked around by a cammed C5 Z06

      To get a lot more power of the E92 M3 in NA form beyond bolt ons increasing the displacement is really the way to go. An extra 600cc's is a nice chunk to pick up made possible by the relatively short stroke in stock form providing quite a bit of room to grow. However, the LS6 V8 under the hood of the C5 Z06 is sill larger at 5.7 liters. With an aggressive cam only the Z06 can put out in the 420 wheel range and with exhaust and intake 450 wheel is within reason.


      The S65 V8 at 4.6 liters is capable of 441 wheel horsepower. So, on paper, this actually makes for a fairly good race especially with a DCT M3. Yes, the C5 Z06 has a weight advantage but the M3's higher redline makes for a gearing advantage. So what is the problem? The 20 inch Hartge wheels the owner chose to put on his car which are basically boat anchors sapping power. The Hartge badge on the trunk clearly not making it up for it.

      Furthermore, the 441 wheel number for a stroker M3 came from an RDsport setup, not Dinan. Dinan uses a fairly mild tune and has yet to demonstrate as high of dyno numbers with their motor. To really take advantage of this setup the M3 owner needs to ditch the wheels, get a new tune, and also look into Schrick cams as the stroker moves the peak of the powerband to the left. Much more horsepower is there to be had by moving the torque curve to the right towards redline with a more aggressive profile similar to how this Z06 gains power with its cam setup.

      Enjoy the race, but seems silly for the M3 owner to spend all that money on the motor only to limit it in other areas.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Dinan 4.6 Stroker M3 vs C5 Z06 started by Sledgehammer View original post
      Comments 226 Comments
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You aren't supporting your statements. Tip: Your opinion is not a fact.
        is this rhetorical? only your opinion places a motor ahead of a more powerful one because of a few awards, and not the fact that its competition destroys it, with every advantage to the s65..
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        only your opinion places a motor ahead of a more powerful one because of a few awards
        It's not my opinion it won a few awards, it's fact it has swept its category four years straight over motors you consider superior with the engineers VOTING FOR IT.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        and not the fact that its competition destroys it, with every advantage to the s65..
        The primary goal is never power, it's a part of the M3's package. Once again, you don't understand what an M3 is. Go get a Mustang. You belong in a Mustang.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's not my opinion it won a few awards, it's fact it has swept its category four years straight over motors you consider superior with the engineers VOTING FOR IT.



        The primary goal is never power, it's a part of the M3's package. Once again, you don't understand what an M3 is. Go get a Mustang. You belong in a Mustang.
        flip-flop much?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The new M3 is coming and it isn't packing enough of a punch under the hood.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'm not quite sure why you can't figure out the target audience, market, and competitors.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        flip-flop much?
        How is stating it's a fact the S65 is well awarded and better than its competition flip-flopping versus showing concern a car that is not released yet, not awarded, with no actual dyno figures may be considerably weaker than its upcoming competition? You aren't able to differentiate these ideas?

        Did you go to college?
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        How is stating it's a fact the S65 is well awarded and better than its competition flip-flopping versus showing concern a car that is not released yet, not awarded, with no actual dyno figures may be considerably weaker than its upcoming competition? You aren't able to differentiate these ideas?

        Did you go to college?
        so, the NEXT gen M3 is outgunned in HP, and its a horrible idea.. but the PREVIOUS gen M3 was ALSO outgunned in HP.. and its ok? yes, college.. but common sense cannot be taught, as you so accurately showcase in this convo
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        so, the NEXT gen M3 is outgunned in HP, and its a horrible idea.. but the PREVIOUS gen M3 was ALSO outgunned in HP.. and its ok? yes, college.. but common sense cannot be taught, as you so accurately showcase in this convo
        Based on the M3's competition how is the E9X outgunned? Once again, I posted an IS-F dyno which has a bigger V8 yet has less power and it was ignored. I posted an RS4/RS5 dyno another car with a bigger V8 which showed less power and it was ignored. I showed a C63 Dyno which has 360 whp and by virtue of its greater heft and slower transmission does not outperform the S65 V8. What competition is it outgunned by? Do you just ignore facts as it suits you? Why? Why are you blindly clinging to a reality you invented? It's ok, you're wrong, you didn't know your subject, move on.

        The new M3 is a completely separate topic.

        You went to college? Consider going again.
      1. mpowerct's Avatar
        mpowerct -
        Really? Why would BMW USA lists the coupe at 3704lbs and sedan 3726lbs.... Car and Drivers numbers is def not the norm 3552lbs maybe with a stripped car with no fluids....lol
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mpowerct Click here to enlarge
        Really? Why would BMW USA lists the coupe at 3704lbs and sedan 3726lbs.... Car and Drivers numbers is def not the norm 3552lbs maybe with a stripped car with no fluids....lol
        Because they list the European weight including the 75kg driver. Welcome to the site, start educating yourself: http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...weight-is-35XX
      1. mpowerct's Avatar
        mpowerct -
        My bad... Just read that after further research from other postings..
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mpowerct Click here to enlarge
        My bad... Just read that after further research from other postings..
        It's ok, that's why I'm here.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        To get a lot more power of the E92 M3 in NA form beyond bolt ons increasing the displacement is really the way to go. An extra 600cc's is a nice chunk to pick up made possible by the relatively short stroke in stock form providing quite a bit of room to grow. However, the LS6 V8 under the hood of the C5 Z06 is sill larger at 5.7 liters. With an aggressive cam only the Z06 can put out in the 420 wheel range and with exhaust and intake 450 wheel is within reason.

        Click here to enlarge

        The S65 V8 at 4.6 liters is capable of 441 wheel horsepower. So, on paper, this actually makes for a fairly good race especially with a DCT M3. Yes, the C5 Z06 has a weight advantage but the M3's higher redline makes for a gearing advantage. So what is the problem? The 20 inch Hartge wheels the owner chose to put on his car which are basically boat anchors sapping power. The Hartge badge on the trunk clearly not making it up for it.

        Furthermore, the 441 wheel number for a stroker M3 came from an RDsport setup, not Dinan. Dinan uses a fairly mild tune and has yet to demonstrate as high of dyno numbers with their motor. To really take advantage of this setup the M3 owner needs to ditch the wheels, get a new tune, and also look into Schrick cams as the stroker moves the peak of the powerband to the left. Much more horsepower is there to be had by moving the torque curve to the right towards redline with a more aggressive profile similar to how this Z06 gains power with its cam setup.

        Enjoy the race, but seems silly for the M3 owner to spend all that money on the motor only to limit it in other areas.

      1. Q4P's Avatar
        Q4P -
        Curious how they would do agAinst an RB 135i lol.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
        Curious how they would do agAinst an RB 135i lol.
        TD Turbo 335i running PROcede & Meth (540 HP according to the video description) vs Stock Z06
      1. Q4P's Avatar
        Q4P -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        TD Turbo 335i running PROcede & Meth (540 HP according to the video description) vs Stock Z06
        http://youtu.be/Xt_dOM3yI5k
        thats a c6, big difference, cant view video but as i see it this was enritas car and he got ran on top end
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
        thats a c6, big difference, cant view video but as i see it this was enritas car and he got ran on top end
        Yea, it was the best/most accurate video I could find of a modified turbo 335 vs Corvette. I figured that the old Z06 with cams is closer to the Z06 then a normal C6 vette, but basically the 335i pulled away until it was limited by the 335 gearing
      1. Sledgehammer's Avatar
        Sledgehammer -
        Good display of the run from the 335 to the Vette...
      1. 600whp S4's Avatar
        600whp S4 -
        Im selling My e36 for a c5 z06 just to beat on and have fun $#@! it... Long tubes a intake manifold and a cam i bet i can get that $#@! in the tens n/a on the right tire. $#@! i bet i could get just a intake tune exhaust one in the tens.... The m3 in that video is a joke and got walked on. The s65 is alright in stock form but look at it this way you have to build the motor at 600whp $#@! that i can get a junkyard 5.3L ls to make 1000hp stock motor. $#@! i bet i could get a 5.3L junkyard LS with the right heads cam and intake manifold to make 500whp n/a
      1. Sledgehammer's Avatar
        Sledgehammer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
        Im selling My e36 for a c5 z06 just to beat on and have fun $#@! it... Long tubes a intake manifold and a cam i bet i can get that $#@! in the tens n/a on the right tire. $#@! i bet i could get just a intake tune exhaust one in the tens.... The m3 in that video is a joke and got walked on. The s65 is alright in stock form but look at it this way you have to build the motor at 600whp $#@! that i can get a junkyard 5.3L ls to make 1000hp stock motor. $#@! i bet i could get a 5.3L junkyard LS with the right heads cam and intake manifold to make 500whp n/a
        Not sure if you're serious or playin around but it's funny as hell.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
        Im selling My e36 for a c5 z06 just to beat on and have fun $#@! it... Long tubes a intake manifold and a cam i bet i can get that $#@! in the tens n/a on the right tire. $#@! i bet i could get just a intake tune exhaust one in the tens.... The m3 in that video is a joke and got walked on. The s65 is alright in stock form but look at it this way you have to build the motor at 600whp $#@! that i can get a junkyard 5.3L ls to make 1000hp stock motor. $#@! i bet i could get a 5.3L junkyard LS with the right heads cam and intake manifold to make 500whp n/a
        It isn't apples to apples. Anyone who expects BMW's to match Chevy small block V8's in dollars per mods needs to have their head examined.

        The M3 in the video isn't a joke at all. The owner just has it set up for looks and not performance. He needs to figure out what he wants to do, be fast or look good? If he wants to be faster there are some things he needs to do like get a tune and ditch the Hartge 20's.
      1. kiloil's Avatar
        kiloil -
        That Z was smokin its ass off.