• APR Stage IV GT28 turbo upgraded GTI takes on and walks away from a JB4 tuned BMW135i

      Here is a very impressive GTI we have seen before over on VWBoost racing a GermanBoost Network member (bigdnno98) with a tuned Mistsubishi Evo. The GTI is certainly impressive and features a GT28 turbo upgrade, built motor, race head, and 30 psi of boost. The 135i gets walked fairly easily but in its defense it is running a BMW JB4 tune on pump gas (Map 5) with the only other supplemental modification being a front mount intercooler.


      135i owners with a tune definitely should not underestimate tuned VW Golf's although this particular one is built to a fairly high level. Would be great to see a rematch with the 135i running race gas/E85 and downpipes.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: GT28 GTI vs 135i started by bigdnno98 View original post
      Comments 74 Comments
      1. Irishace's Avatar
        Irishace -
        The vw would get smoked if the 135 had meth, dps and Iso
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
        The vw would get smoked if the 135 had meth, dps and Iso
        I'm not sure but we'll see soon.
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Sometimes I feel like nobody actually reads the site


        http://www.audiboost.com/content.php...n-the-1-4-mile
        Sorryyy, i tend to either o straight to the bb forums or sometimes check the bb front page.. I should visit the other pages too as i likr any and all awesomeness..

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Think about a 24v with more displacement and a bigger turbo.

        Aren't the biggest 12v's only 3.1 or 3.2l bored and stroked and pushing it? Where the 24v's are 3.2 and 3.6+?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
        Aren't the biggest 12v's only 3.1 or 3.2l bored and stroked and pushing it? Where the 24v's are 3.2 and 3.6+?
        You're probably right. I was just saying think of how much could be had with a VR6 setup.
      1. DRedman45's Avatar
        DRedman45 -
        I would have loved to give a tuned 135i a run in my k04 gti before i started parting it out Click here to enlarge...my buddy just put an ap and dp's on after i started parting out, he made 360whp and 421wtq on the same dyno i made 329whp and 340wtq 2 weeks before
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        APR has posted this vid on their facebook page LOL. I went ahead and posted the vid of my 335i smashing the same GTI for them Click here to enlarge
      1. clongo's Avatar
        clongo -
        That GTI is one hell of a sleeper. How bad is the torque steer?
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        I haven't driven it but he's never complained about torque steer so it shouldn't be that bad but I'll ask him.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by clongo Click here to enlarge
        That GTI is one hell of a sleeper. How bad is the torque steer?
      1. lvlemphiz's Avatar
        lvlemphiz -
        umm majority of FWD cars... have EQUAL LENGTH HALF SHAFTS. Just about ALL modern ones as well. If you got torque steer it's probably in your head or in your excitement

        IE: you don't know what it is nor are you experiencing it lol (with 450+ wtq in a 2800 lb car on 26inch x 8.5inch DR's..no torque steer lol)
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        I'm not sure the just because a car has equal length half shafts torque steer is eliminated. My wife had an 06 Nissan Altima SE-R and that thing would rip the wheel out of your hand. There have been many reviews provided by car experts on cars such as the Focus RS and other FWD cars complaining of torque steer. I don't think it's in anyone's head.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lvlemphiz Click here to enlarge
        umm majority of FWD cars... have EQUAL LENGTH HALF SHAFTS. Just about ALL modern ones as well. If you got torque steer it's probably in your head or in your excitement

        IE: you don't know what it is nor are you experiencing it lol (with 450+ wtq in a 2800 lb car on 26inch x 8.5inch DR's..no torque steer lol)
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        APR has posted this vid on their facebook page LOL. I went ahead and posted the vid of my 335i smashing the same GTI for them Click here to enlarge
        Next time include a watermark Click here to enlarge
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        I'll have to figure out how to do that next time haha

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Next time include a watermark Click here to enlarge
      1. lulz_m3's Avatar
        lulz_m3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        APR has posted this vid on their facebook page LOL. I went ahead and posted the vid of my 335i smashing the same GTI for them Click here to enlarge
        Haha, priceless.
      1. chrisisnapping's Avatar
        chrisisnapping -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lvlemphiz Click here to enlarge
        umm majority of FWD cars... have EQUAL LENGTH HALF SHAFTS. Just about ALL modern ones as well. If you got torque steer it's probably in your head or in your excitement

        IE: you don't know what it is nor are you experiencing it lol (with 450+ wtq in a 2800 lb car on 26inch x 8.5inch DR's..no torque steer lol)
        while my car is putting down no where near any decent numbers, I must say I have 0 torque steer.

        However, I hear the mazdaspeed3 have notoriously terrible torque steer.

        Perhaps @fastgti69 can chime in with his experience with his cobalt SS.
      1. lvlemphiz's Avatar
        lvlemphiz -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        I'm not sure the just because a car has equal length half shafts torque steer is eliminated. My wife had an 06 Nissan Altima SE-R and that thing would rip the wheel out of your hand. There have been many reviews provided by car experts on cars such as the Focus RS and other FWD cars complaining of torque steer. I don't think it's in anyone's head.
        100% not torque steer...there are cars that limit power to certain wheels (Caliber) and can cause that feeling...but it's not normally induced (mechanically). If the car is ripping the wheels out your hand you have other issues in your suspension (see blown LCA bushings, mounts etc...even alignment). UNEVEN PAVEMENT can cause this feeling too...it's not from the car but from the tire riding the crown of the road

        It's like the people that think they experience forms of compressor surge...half the time that's not what they are hearing

        The WHOLE ADVENT of incorporating equal length half shafts in FWD cars is PRIMARILY TO ELIMINATE TORQUE STEER (do yourself a favor and look up that advance in FWD suspension)
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        We'll have to agree to disagree then because the rest of America is calling it torque steer and you are the first person I've ever heard of say that torque steer DOES NOT EXIST IN MODERN FWD CARS. I don't really care enough about the topic to research it. My wife's SE-R did it brand new so i know it wasn't blown bushings or suspension issues.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lvlemphiz Click here to enlarge
        100% not torque steer...there are cars that limit power to certain wheels (Caliber) and can cause that feeling...but it's not normally induced (mechanically). If the car is ripping the wheels out your hand you have other issues in your suspension (see blown LCA bushings, mounts etc...even alignment). UNEVEN PAVEMENT can cause this feeling too...it's not from the car but from the tire riding the crown of the road

        It's like the people that think they experience forms of compressor surge...half the time that's not what they are hearing

        The WHOLE ADVENT of incorporating equal length half shafts in FWD cars is PRIMARILY TO ELIMINATE TORQUE STEER (do yourself a favor and look up that advance in FWD suspension)
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        "Because torque steer is caused by, well, torque, limiting engine output until the accelerating vehicle gets its legs under itself also works. This is the technique used by Mazda in the Mazdaspeed3. Boost from the 2.3-liter engine's turbocharger is limited in first and second gear, reducing the normally 280 available pound-feet of torque to a level that's a bit more manageable. Even with this "Advanced Torque Management" system doing its thing, the 'Speed3 still exhibited a noticeable level of torque steer during our testing."

        Just saying....

        Many people experience torque steer. From 5 minutes of reading on google searches, torque steer is caused by MANY reasons, one of them being unequal length half shafts. Not all though.
      1. lvlemphiz's Avatar
        lvlemphiz -
        Ok man just look up what actually happens during traditional tq steer and why an intermediate shaft exists. As a mechanical engineer I actually understand and have formally learned about suspension geometry...motor trends review of the mazda doesnt interest me
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Don't want to take this thread off topic, but I was summoned here lol. I don't know what planet you live on. Torque steer exists 100%. Since I upgraded my turbo, I've had to hold my wheel 3 times harder to make sure it doesn't move side to side. My arms get tired as $#@! now. You can even see in one of my videos me vs the C6 vette. In the first race when I start pulling if you look closely my car you can see it move side to side. I won't forget that moment that night. Plus, I have equal axle shafts. Left and right are the same exact part, makes no difference. 435wtq in a 2900 lbs in case you were wondering what I have @lvlemphiz
      1. lvlemphiz's Avatar
        lvlemphiz -
        Time to hit the gym my friend... I make more in a lighter car...on a big tire and sorry I don't relate

        Does anyone know what actually happens to an axle during true torque steer based on a FWD suspension geometry? Torque steer can also be experienced through other effects...tires, road, unequal traction forces etc.

        These are NOT specific to a FWD suspension and therefore talking about torque steer in your FWD car JUST BECAUSE IT IS FWD is BACKWARDS and fully NOT understanding all the facets of this topic

        I HATE Wiki as much as the next person...but for the love of god...read it (the basics are there)

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steering