Close

    • Test numbers for the 6-speed manual 2013 Audi S5 with the 3.0 TFSI supercharged V6 - 0-60 in 4.8, 1/4 mile in 13.4@106

      The switch from the ancient naturally aspirated 4.2 liter V8 in the Audi S5 to the 3.0 TFSI supercharged V6 is proving to be an excellent move by Audi. Car and Driver recorded acceleration figures that matched the 4.2 V8 S5 exactly with the new V6 supercharged motor. This, despite the fact the car is now 77 pounds heavier. A little more weight but well worth it with improved weight distribution of 55.7/44.3 versus 57.7/42.3 for the V8 (due to the positioning of the more compact V6 in the engine bay) and MPG gains of 3 in the city and 4 highway versus the V8.


      Those are some very nice benefits to the new motor. Not to mention the fact it is much more easily tuned than the old V8 with big gains to be had with just software alone. Simply put, the supercharged V6 is a more efficient and much more tuner friendly motor than the V8 and the S5 is a much better car with it.

      So, at 3895 pounds it is capable of hustling to 60 in 4.8 seconds and through the 1/4 mile in 13.4@106. And that is for the 6-speed manual version. The S-Tronic dual clutch will be a little quicker as a recent comparison test of the manual and dual clutch gearbox with this motor shows.

      Overall, Audi simply continues to impress and continues to improve their cars. Keep it up Audi and you most certainly will deserve to overtake BMW as the number one luxury automaker.


      Source

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Test numbers for the 6-speed manual 2013 Audi S5 with the 3.0 TFSI supercharged V6 - 0-60 in 4.8, 1/4 mile in 13.4@106 started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 20 Comments
      1. leo985i's Avatar
        leo985i -
        I think they have already overtaken BMW. BMW products have been weak as of late. The prices for Audi need to come down a little though. The S5 should start a few grand cheaper IMO. You can get a brutal GT500 for as much as this S5 loaded, but maybe not many people would cross shop these cars.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        eh.. its equal to a stock N54.. if it had the same potential as an N54, it would be a very very viable option
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        N54 released in 2006 matches these numbers..how is this outdoing anything? Its on par power wise only with more weight and worse weight distribution still
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        I hope to see this same review comparing the ancient s65 to the new m3/4 motor....except that motor will actually have more hp and torque and the car will be lighter...
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Oh yeah....this is a $#@! car for $66, 000.....
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        eh.. its equal to a stock N54.. if it had the same potential as an N54, it would be a very very viable option
        It does have pretty similar potential with better power delivery IMO.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
        N54 released in 2006 matches these numbers..how is this outdoing anything? Its on par power wise only with more weight and worse weight distribution still
        It is outdoing the V8 it previously had.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        I hope to see this same review comparing the ancient s65 to the new m3/4 motor....except that motor will actually have more hp and torque and the car will be lighter...
        Car will be lighter? The S65 is lighter than the S54...
      1. FLYING X5's Avatar
        FLYING X5 -
        I didn't spend anywhere near $66k for mine... ($56k for mine) But I guess the difference between mine and their's is they had a Prestige Package, probably with Drivers Assist, Sports Diff and the whole setup, while mine is a Premium Plus, with every possible add-on and a DCT.

        It's not a bad package for what it is, and I look forward to modding it, after breaking her in
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLYING X5 Click here to enlarge
        I didn't spend anywhere near $66k for mine... ($56k for mine) But I guess the difference between mine and their's is they had a Prestige Package, probably with Drivers Assist, Sports Diff and the whole setup, while mine is a Premium Plus, with every possible add-on and a DCT.

        It's not a bad package for what it is, and I look forward to modding it, after breaking her in
        Yeah, no one is paying $66k.

        Base price is cheaper than a 335is. I personally would rather have the S5 after driving one the other week. Getting back into the 335is on the way home was a let down. Don't care what people say, BMW interiors are complete sh*t compared to Audi.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        I personally would rather have the S5
        Same here.
      1. FLYING X5's Avatar
        FLYING X5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        eh.. its equal to a stock N54.. if it had the same potential as an N54, it would be a very very viable option
        -It does have the same potential, atleast from what i've been seeing with the tunes that are out there by GIAC and APR. We are seeing numbers in the 400hp just on tune alone (albiet they are running 93 - 100 oct).

        -STG II with Exhaust, Intake, S/C Pulley upgrade and Tune easily put these cars at the M3 level.

        -With APR introducing a STG III upgrade pretty soon (new S/C) we could be looking at M5 levels of power. I mean look at what they did with the outgoing V8 S5, just by doing a S/C upgrade they are putting down M5 hp figures, from an engine that was doing 354 stock... The potential is there, just a matter of how much your willing to spend, as always.

        Now I can't say if the S5 matches the 335's handling characteristics, but Audi is definitely stepping their game up... (plus I love the additional headroom in the S5 compared to the E92, hence my main reason for skipping over to the other side, otherwise I would have gotten an E92 if my head didn't touch the roof, even with the seat adjusted the way I liked it)
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        Yeah, no one is paying $66k.
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge

        Base price is cheaper than a 335is. I personally would rather have the S5 after driving one the other week. Getting back into the 335is on the way home was a let down. Don't care what people say, BMW interiors are complete sh*t compared to Audi.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLYING X5 Click here to enlarge
        -It does have the same potential, atleast from what i've been seeing with the tunes that are out there by GIAC and APR. We are seeing numbers in the 400hp just on tune alone (albiet they are running 93 - 100 oct).
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLYING X5 Click here to enlarge

        -STG II with Exhaust, Intake, S/C Pulley upgrade and Tune easily put these cars at the M3 level.

        -With APR introducing a STG III upgrade pretty soon (new S/C) we could be looking at M5 levels of power. I mean look at what they did with the outgoing V8 S5, just by doing a S/C upgrade they are putting down M5 hp figures, from an engine that was doing 354 stock... The potential is there, just a matter of how much your willing to spend, as always.

        Now I can't say if the S5 matches the 335's handling characteristics, but Audi is definitely stepping their game up... (plus I love the additional headroom in the S5 compared to the E92, hence my main reason for skipping over to the other side, otherwise I would have gotten an E92 if my head didn't touch the roof, even with the seat adjusted the way I liked it)
        In response to both of your comparisons to the 335is, I have to say I agree. The S5's interior is nicer, especially since the seats seem to be mounted lower giving tall people like me a better driving position (the seats themselves are also better). Handling is definitely subjective, but I think most people would prefer the way the Audi drives. A 335is has the exact same suspension as a regular 335i (and 328i) and mine has the 19" wheels which are pretty awful for anything but the smoothest roads, I drove through one of my favorite twisty roads today and was constantly frustrated by the tires skipping off of bumps and bouncing all over the place, I've been experimenting with different tire pressures and nothing makes my tires stick to the road like an S4/S5 and that's mainly down to the adaptive dampers they have. The 2012 S4 I drove had the sports rear diff and that makes it even better, you can plant the throttle mid-corner and the car actually rotates, drawing a tighter line through the turn, which means you can go full throttle even before the apex and carry some serious speed through the corner exit, the grip is also far superior to the 335i's, I had wheelspin in 4th gear today!

        I guess what I'm trying to say is, with identical lease terms, the S4 was several hundred a month more than my 335is but aside from the money I'm saving and my 335is' incredible exhaust note, I definitely regret not looking into the S4 more seriously.

        Also, I've driven both 4.2 and 3.0T S5s and the new motor is in an entirely different league, the 4.2 V8 powered S5 honestly felt kind of slow (it wasn't a slow car, but from behind the wheel it didn't really feel like it was going anywhere) while the new car accelerates more urgently and feels more willing to change direction because of its lighter nose. I'd love to race a 3.0T in my 335is to see how they compare, the 4.2s don't stand a chance. My friend has an S5 with intake, full exhaust and a custom dyno tune and I easily walk away from that car.
      1. FLYING X5's Avatar
        FLYING X5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        Also, I've driven both 4.2 and 3.0T S5s and the new motor is in an entirely different league, the 4.2 V8 powered S5 honestly felt kind of slow (it wasn't a slow car, but from behind the wheel it didn't really feel like it was going anywhere) while the new car accelerates more urgently and feels more willing to change direction because of its lighter nose. I'd love to race a 3.0T in my 335is to see how they compare, the 4.2s don't stand a chance. My friend has an S5 with intake, full exhaust and a custom dyno tune and I easily walk away from that car.
        The outgoing S5 is a pig of car... and Stock for stock the new 3.0T vs a 335is would probably be a close match up... but I know others on here will say otherwise.

        Aftermarket on the other hand.:

        APR's tune for 4.2 S5 on 93 oct: 362 AWHP / 352 AWTQ. Throw on intake and exhaust and your maybe looking at 370-375 AWHP / 360-365 AWTQ. Not much if you ask me...

        Using APR Stage II upgrade for the 3.0T (Tune, Pulley, exhaust, intake) on 93 oct: 388 AWHP / 377 AWTQ (still blows the larger 4.2 away).

        I'm not even going to go into a 335is tune and upgrade potential, as we all know there are a plethora of options, from Burger, Cobb, Giac or Vishnu... And once you start upgrading the turbo's... but I digress.

        Looking at STG III the 4.2 is posting M5 numbers (537 hp CHP/443 TQ) or M3 numbers if using AWHP (417hp/376tq) and I'm sure the STG III for the 3.0T will post similiar numbers (too early to tell).

        Potential is definitely there...
      1. 335BBS's Avatar
        335BBS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        eh.. its equal to a stock N54.. if it had the same potential as an N54, it would be a very very viable option
        If it was same as N54 it would be in the shop. I just unloaded an e92 335 and came back to Audi. When you buy one of those things there is a list of about 6 or 8 things that are GUARANTEED to to go wrong. Just hope they happen while under warranty.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 335BBS Click here to enlarge
        If it was same as N54 it would be in the shop. I just unloaded an e92 335 and came back to Audi. When you buy one of those things there is a list of about 6 or 8 things that are GUARANTEED to to go wrong. Just hope they happen while under warranty.
        Welcome.
      1. FLYING X5's Avatar
        FLYING X5 -
        SO... My military sales agent emailed me and stated since my delivery date is in September, they want to know if I want a 2014 Model instead of a 2013... I told them yes, so guess I'll be getting next years model instead... Guess it doesn't really matter
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLYING X5 Click here to enlarge
        SO... My military sales agent emailed me and stated since my delivery date is in September, they want to know if I want a 2014 Model instead of a 2013... I told them yes, so guess I'll be getting next years model instead... Guess it doesn't really matter
        Take the 2014, resale bump.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        eh.. its equal to a stock N54.. if it had the same potential as an N54, it would be a very very viable option
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLYING X5 Click here to enlarge
        -It does have the same potential, atleast from what i've been seeing with the tunes that are out there by GIAC and APR. We are seeing numbers in the 400hp just on tune alone (albiet they are running 93 - 100 oct).

        -STG II with Exhaust, Intake, S/C Pulley upgrade and Tune easily put these cars at the M3 level.
        Was gonna say, FBO N54 (which can keep pace/beat, depending on the tune, a bolt-on S65) vs. FBO S5 with this s/c V6 will probably still edge the 335 because of the weight. To be seriously competitive, it'll need a new blower (and hopefully the stock engine can keep up with that).

        The S5 is light years ahead of the E92 3-series when you compare the exterior appearance & quality of the interior. Even from the concept photos of the F32, the Audi exteriors give something much more than the "traditional" German car interior.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Audi exterior and interior design surpassed BMW. Now the engineering is starting to as well.