Close

    • M2 based on the F22 2-Series Coupe preview and rendering - Entry level M car with turbocharged 4-cylinder power coming?

      We know the F22 2-Series coupe is coming as evidenced by recent spyphotos. We know BMW is considering an entry level M car which would likely be based on the F22 or F20 platform. An M2 would be necessary to compete against the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG and Audi RS3 Sedan. Audi is already preparing to boost output of their 2.5 TFSI due to competition from Mercedes-Benz with their powerful 2.0 liter M133 turbo four-cylinder putting out 354 horses.

      So, this is a segment that is rapidly heating up and BMW likely would not want to be left out. An M2 would be the perfect vehicle as an answer to the competition from Audi and Mercedes-Benz and the powerplant would likely be an M Division modified N20 2.0 liter four-cylinder which would make a very interesting response to the Mercedes and Audi motors.

      With a likely curb weight in the 31XX pound range and a 350+ horsepower turbocharged four-cylinder the M2 would be a very exciting vehicle. Especially considering Audi and Mercedes will be all wheel drive only meaning a rear wheel drive car in this segment from BMW may prove to be the most exciting car to drive out of the bunch. Additionally, as we all know BMW turbo motors respond well to mods.

      An M2 would be a great entry level M car and drivers car considering how heavy and expensive newer BMW M cars have become. BimmerBoost says bring it on, enjoy the rendering below.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: M2 render!!! started by KB View original post
      Comments 61 Comments
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        So in other words you're saying that plethora of 400-500WHP 335i running around had nothing to do with the new M3/M4 having a turbo I6? Why wouldn't BMW stay with mercedes and just keep the N/A V8 for the next gen M3? It's because BMW saw so many high HP 335i and prob saw new M3 sales drop due to customers not being able to justify the $20-30k price difference between a new 335i and a new M3. I just don't see how you will be able to sell an M2 with an I4 when a customer can spend $10k less and buy a 235i with an I6? M car buyers are enthusiasts not your average car buyer.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        I don't understand why people always go to theoretical arguments here, the E30 M3 already exists. It sold incredibly well, crushing its competition from Mercedes, and no one really cared that it had less cylinders, in fact it was partly because of that short inline four that the E30 M3 was so nimble and so willing to change direction and that's exactly why I'm looking forward to the M2. My only concern is the engine / exhaust noise, I love straight sixes and am not the biggest inline four fan but I'll wait and see how it turns out.

        As for potential horsepower, literally zero percent of the car-buying public actually modifies their cars and those that do typically stick to simple bolt-ons. Only a very few people care about making seriously big power out of any given platform and the manufacturer rarely worries about those people.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        Doesn't make much sense to have a much cheaper version, the 235i have a turbo I6 and the M car have an I4 does it? How many people would justify the extra$$$ for a smaller engine? Even though output would be somewhat higher, potential HP output would still go to the I6.
        Because it's an M motor designed with performance in mind as well as the chassis, brakes, and suspension. You haven't even seen the motor yet.

        How many people opted for the E30 M3 over the 325? Why did they even though the six cylinder was bigger?

        Extra $ for a smaller engine isn't bad. I'd rather have the Audi 2.5 TFSI5-cylinder than their 3.2 liter V6.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        It sold incredibly well, crushing its competition from Mercedes, and no one really cared that it had less cylinders, in fact it was partly because of that short inline four that the E30 M3 was so nimble and so willing to change direction and that's exactly why I'm looking forward to the M2
        Exactly, this was already done. People are forgetting their history.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        So in other words you're saying that plethora of 400-500WHP 335i running around had nothing to do with the new M3/M4 having a turbo I6? Why wouldn't BMW stay with mercedes and just keep the N/A V8 for the next gen M3? It's because BMW saw so many high HP 335i and prob saw new M3 sales drop due to customers not being able to justify the $20-30k price difference between a new 335i and a new M3. I just don't see how you will be able to sell an M2 with an I4 when a customer can spend $10k less and buy a 235i with an I6? M car buyers are enthusiasts not your average car buyer.
        The reason the M3 will have an inline-6 is because the M5/M6 have twin turbo V8's. It is also because the M division changed to forced induction.

        The 335 came out before the E92 M3 yet the M3 still had a naturally aspirated V8. Why? The M5/M6 had a V10 that the M3 V8 was based off.

        The M3 gets the I6 to fit nicely albeit artifically into the range. It has nothing to do with aftermarket tuning of 335's. M3 owners don't give a $#@! about the 335. Also, everyone doesn't tune. It's a minority.
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        That isn't really a fair comparison. The N55 is a much better motor than what you guys are comparing it to. If I had to chose a 350HP I4 M car or a 235i with an N55, the 235i being $10-15k cheaper. I'm thinking 235i now, but that may change once we see the engine and the car. I would have loved a 1M if it didn't cost so much damn money.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Exactly, this was already done. People are forgetting their history.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        That isn't really a fair comparison. The N55 is a much better motor than what you guys are comparing it to. If I had to chose a 350HP I4 M car or a 235i with an N55, the 235i being $10-15k cheaper. I'm thinking 235i now, but that may change once we see the engine and the car. I would have loved a 1M if it didn't cost so much damn money.
        It's the exact same thing, how isn't it fair? 6 cylinder versus 4 cylinder.

        Would you rather have a six cylinder in your evo or a sportier 4?

        Get a 235i with the N55 then. I know I would rather have the M2 before even seeing it or its specs. I'd rather have the Audi S4 with the smaller 3.0 TFSI than with the 4.2 liter V8 it used to have as well.
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        I'm not in the market for either car, just saying. Not sure how sales will be for an M2 with a I4.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's the exact same thing, how isn't it fair? 6 cylinder versus 4 cylinder.

        Would you rather have a six cylinder in your evo or a sportier 4?

        Get a 235i with the N55 then. I know I would rather have the M2 before even seeing it or its specs. I'd rather have the Audi S4 with the smaller 3.0 TFSI than with the 4.2 liter V8 it used to have as well.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        I'm not in the market for either car, just saying. Not sure how sales will be for an M2 with a I4.
        How were sales for the E30 M3? Or the E9X M3 despite the fact you could tune a 335?
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        M car buyers are enthusiasts not your average car buyer.
        I beg to differ, the VAST majority (at least 75%) of M buyers are just posers or the type of rich person who goes in and just says "gimme the most expensive 3 series" or whatever. Maybe this is different in other parts of the world, but I'm very close with a lot of salesmen at a few different BMW dealerships around San Diego and that's basically the truth around here. Almost every single M3 I see driving around is driven by a soccer mom or an old guy.

        I was at the dealer last week and a guy was there with his new M6, he said he had a few thousand miles on it already so I asked if he had tried full throttle acceleration yet and he came back with "Why would I do that?" .....uhh, why would you buy a 560 horsepower car if you're not planning to use it? They do sell that same car with a six cylinder engine for a reason.

        Another example, a friend of my dad has a CLK55 AMG and all he ever does is complain about how quickly the tires wear out and how much gas it drinks. He said the fastest he's ever been in it is 85 and he doesn't get why it has to be so uncomfortable.....oh, and I just remembered a couple that lives near me has a C63 as their only car. They are both in their 80s.

        The way I see it, most of these posers / badge whores will now buy the M235i and this will free up the M2 from having to cater to them. We all win in the end.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        I beg to differ, the VAST majority (at least 75%) of M buyers are just posers or the type of rich person who goes in and just says "gimme the most expensive 3 series" or whatever. Maybe this is different in other parts of the world, but I'm very close with a lot of salesmen at a few different BMW dealerships around San Diego and that's basically the truth around here. Almost every single M3 I see driving around is driven by a soccer mom or an old guy.
        This is true. Salespeople (well who don't know me) at the dealership always assume I'm not in the market for an M3 based on age. It's mostly older people.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        Another example, a friend of my dad has a CLK55 AMG and all he ever does is complain about how quickly the tires wear out and how much gas it drinks.
        My father is similar.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        The way I see it, most of these posers / badge whores will now buy the M235i and this will free up the M2 from having to cater to them. We all win in the end.
        I think the M2 will be much more exciting with the higher strung M built 4-cylinder giving that racy feel rather than the lazier N55. The internals and heads will likely be better too. I think it's a great idea.
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        It takes a while to develop a car and engine, the fact that people modded 335's has nothing to do with the new m getting a 6cylinder, that decision was made a while ago...

        The m2 will be a huge seller if the car has great performance....

        Also, I have a fbo 335, and although it's quicker than a stock m3, the m3 is such a more well rounded performance car.
      1. maxnix's Avatar
        maxnix -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        Mercedes' new 2.0 turbo (going into the 45 AMG cars) is already known to make 354 horsepower, so BMW will need to be in that ballpark to be competitive. Should be interesting to say the least, I'm hoping the M2 will be my next car.
        Link please?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
        Link please?
        Do people not read the sites?

        http://www.benzboost.com/content.php...-call-the-M133
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Check out this interesting info about the M2 from Car and Driver.

        http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-detailed-news
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        That article says I6
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        That article says I6
        It also says N54, it won't be.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        Check out this interesting info about the M2 from Car and Driver.

        http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-detailed-news
        Nice, they basically confirm it.

        Here's their rendering:

        Click here to enlarge
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        I have nothing against I4 obviously lol. I just hope they don't over complicate it so it takes 5 years to see tuning and parts for it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        I have nothing against I4 obviously lol. I just hope they don't over complicate it so it takes 5 years to see tuning and parts for it.
        With BMW's it's always this way. Kind of frustrating and I'm personally sick of it.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        I dont know why they would say an upgraded N54....