Close

    • Trouble in paradise? Vishnu/FFtec N54 335ii Single Turbo kits experiencing issues as a BimmerBoost member runs 12.5@121 with misfires and having to short shift

      BimmerBoost would like to thank member GeorgiaTech335Coupe for his openness and honesty regarding his Vishnu/FFTEC single turbo setup. Recently, this member took his single turbo upgraded 6-speed manual 335i to the PBIR (Palm Beach International Raceway) dragstrip in Florida to do some testing. His best run was a 12.50@121.6 alongside a 12.8@117. Yes, these times are quite a ways away from the 10.8@131 glory pass from Vishnu demonstrating the kits capability.


      This is in no way the fault of GeorgiaTech335Coupe who experienced misfires on his car and had to short shift at 6300 rpm in order to avoid them. Now, Vishnu has basically portrayed this kit as perfect and ready for sale with nobody having any issues. The reason BimmerBoost is bringing this issue to the attention of the community is for potential buyers to understand what they are getting into.


      There is absolutely nothing wrong with having issues when modifying a car to this level and BimmerBoost is confident Vishnu will resolve them. There is something wrong with pretending nothing is wrong. A few cars with the single turbo kits have gone up for sale and apparently a total of three people, that are willing to open their mouths, are having misfire issues with these kits.

      These issues will no doubt get resolved but potential buyers and current customers needs to be aware of the process, effort, and that progress is being made. Pretending nothing is wrong and collecting money simply is the wrong way to go about this and once again (it's becoming a trend) BimmerBoost is the only site bringing these issues to the attention of the community.

      For the record, a member by the name of @tmo335tt says he has a hardware solution for the misfires that he will likely share with Vishnu (hopefully not for free). Interesting that it isn't Vishnu but the community solving this.

      Thanks again to @GeorgiaTech335Coupe for sharing his details, good or bad, as we all learn thanks to honesty and openness. There is more to tuning than just collecting money.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Vishnu Single Turbo at PBIR - 12.50@121.6 having to shift all gears at 6300rpm started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 1090 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by import36 Click here to enlarge
        nazi-boost?

        <ready to get negative-repped into oblivion>
        Anyone can rep you into oblivion you have 4.5 points.

        Love the hyperbole though.
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by import36 Click here to enlarge
        nazi-boost?

        <ready to get negative-repped into oblivion>
        Not even worth neg repping..
        Its pretty clear that people can say just about anything they want around here and other than some neg rep points, i doubt you will see posts being removed even when theres a direct shot at the admin. Ive had posts deleted from the other forum all the time for no obvious reason.
      1. import36's Avatar
        import36 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Anyone can rep you into oblivion you have 4.5 points.

        Love the hyperbole though.
        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
        Not even worth neg repping..
        Its pretty clear that people can say just about anything they want around here and other than some neg rep points, i doubt you will see posts being removed even when theres a direct shot at the admin. Ive had posts deleted from the other forum all the time for no obvious reason.
        you're right...and that's part of the reason i come back to this forum...aside from the far more technical discussions over here compared to the other forum. i just don't think the guy should've been neg repped like that...but it is what it is...

        so how bout them smfw's...
      1. zeel's Avatar
        zeel -
        I negged repped because why? Because e-thug.

        That's so 1995.
      1. stangorang's Avatar
        stangorang -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        It would come up some runs and not others for me. Still have not really had a chance to look in to it. I don't spend a lot of time in 5th gear @ 150mph accelerating. Click here to enlarge
        The BMW Bentley manual states that when doing an ATF change one should monitor the trans fluid temp using the OBD port, in order to fill the tranny to the appropriate fluid level.

        I am surprised nobody has tapped into this feature (assuming it exists) to monitor tranny temps during these high speed runs. Seems like the Cobb AP could take advantage of this Click here to enlarge
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stangorang Click here to enlarge
        The BMW Bentley manual states that when doing an ATF change one should monitor the trans fluid temp using the OBD port, in order to fill the tranny to the appropriate fluid level.

        I am surprised nobody has tapped into this feature (assuming it exists) to monitor tranny temps during these high speed runs. Seems like the Cobb AP could take advantage of this Click here to enlarge
        im not so technical but if thats feasable thats a great idea. I know im fitting a tranny cooler on my auto just because lol
      1. GeorgiaTech335Coupe's Avatar
        GeorgiaTech335Coupe -
        It would be interesting to see what the landscape of the forum would be if rep power got restarted for everyone every month or so. I'd be willing to bet some of the current high rep guys would see red for once...but, I digress.

        I'll be sure to let everyone know when the flywheel/clutch gets in and the results will quickly follow.
      1. MisterEm's Avatar
        MisterEm -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
        It would be interesting to see what the landscape of the forum would be if rep power got restarted for everyone every month or so. I'd be willing to bet some of the current high rep guys would see red for once...but, I digress.
        I see where you are going.... For all the folks (like me) that have posted legitimate independent reviews, dynos, and installation advice after paying for products from so-called forum vendors...only to have them deleted or altered by moderators.... you would see the beauty in this system.

        Do some members abuse it!? You bet! But we all know how the forum moderators quickly collate, modify or delete information in order to spin their paying sponsors in the light they wish. At least what you write here stays. And you cannot login a year later and alter your mis-information like e46fan, bimmerforums, m3forums, e90post and the like.

        Carry on gents! May all 6MT single turbos boost in peace with SMFWs (and the AT folks can keep an SMFW the trunk just in case).
      1. BavarianBullet's Avatar
        BavarianBullet -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
        @tmo335tt deserves the credit.

        He found this article:
        http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-3544/
        which was authored by LuK GmbH & Co. oHG who makes dual mass flywheels for our cars.

        He then put an oscilloscope on his car while on they dyno and saw the interference.
        He def is very knowledgeable and mechanically inclined, much more than a lot of people on this forum.
        I read this Monday (or Tue I think) when the flywheel comparison was first made. Did a google search where this comes up at the top, read it and didn't think it was likely to prove anything definitively.

        Kudos to the guys manning up and spending big coin on SMFWs but, as others said, that's a pretty big leap without testing on several cars.

        Best of luck guys. I hope it fixes it.
      1. Carl Morris's Avatar
        Carl Morris -
        12-10-2012, 04:22 PM, page 8

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
        One thing you are making me wonder, has anybody with the misfire problem ever duplicated the problem with a SMFW installed? I just ask because I notice that on hard shifts I seem to get several samples of rpm oscillation on the Cobb logger before it settles out again. I assume it due to the DMFW oscillating. In my low-power case that seems to cause more sensitive knock readings but I don't have the misfire issue. But since I have seen it affect the ECU, I'm just wondering if anybody with a SMFW has ever had your misfire issue? The DMFW will allow a lot more instantaneous change in rpm.
        Heh heh...
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tmo335tt Click here to enlarge
        At least we both agree on somthing, finally!
        lol, which one of us is counting chickens before they hatch? which one has a running car? oh wait, which one didnt have to buy 2 of the same car to raise the bar?
        which one of us looks like the biggest toolbag in the history of the n54?

        ill give you a hint, not this guy, since his AT is faster than your AT, and SINGLE TURBO 6MT.. so.. which one of us is stupid? well, I should probably answer it since your comprehension is sub-par.. you,

        and what do you mean $#@! with the wrong person? what are you going to do? take another super cool photo? exemplifying that you have NO solution, and caught in a lie?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        and what do you mean $#@! with the wrong person? what are you going to do? take another super cool photo? exemplifying that you have NO solution, and caught in a lie?
        He wasn't lying regarding the solution. He's just sort of an idiot regarding how he went about discussing it.
      1. themyst's Avatar
        themyst -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        lol, which one of us is counting chickens before they hatch? which one has a running car? oh wait, which one didnt have to buy 2 of the same car to raise the bar?
        which one of us looks like the biggest toolbag in the history of the n54?

        ill give you a hint, not this guy, since his AT is faster than your AT, and SINGLE TURBO 6MT.. so.. which one of us is stupid? well, I should probably answer it since your comprehension is sub-par.. you,

        and what do you mean $#@! with the wrong person? what are you going to do? take another super cool photo? exemplifying that you have NO solution, and caught in a lie?
        sell me your S65
      1. rudypoochris's Avatar
        rudypoochris -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
        I positive repped him!
        Yeah duh, cuz you are always blowing Vishnu and the e90post mentality. Just saying. And that isn't an attack on you. I think you're fine, but you cant be surprised based on your bias. "Like omg guys I positive repped him"... realistically who wasn't expecting that from you. SLURP SLURP.
      1. rudypoochris's Avatar
        rudypoochris -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by import36 Click here to enlarge
        nazi-boost?

        <ready to get negative-repped into oblivion>
        You gotta understand that in this forum you build rep. You build rep until a certain rep power. If you have 100 rep power you can use 100 of those points to rep one person or 50 to neg rep. Considering Sticky has a zillion rep points from all his posts, he can neg rep someone 90 points. Its not that hard, and tbh he deserved it, he has been trolling this thread like a douche for how many pages? On e Nazi post he would have been permabanned.
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zeel Click here to enlarge
        I negged repped because why? Because e-thug.

        That's so 1995.
        Yeah, open discussion is nice, but there's got to be a line. I was the first to neg rep him and it seems that a lot of people agree that his "threat" wasn't welcome here.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
        12-10-2012, 04:22 PM, page 8

        One thing you are making me wonder, has anybody with the misfire problem ever duplicated the problem with a SMFW installed? I just ask because I notice that on hard shifts I seem to get several samples of rpm oscillation on the Cobb logger before it settles out again. I assume it due to the DMFW oscillating. In my low-power case that seems to cause more sensitive knock readings but I don't have the misfire issue. But since I have seen it affect the ECU, I'm just wondering if anybody with a SMFW has ever had your misfire issue? The DMFW will allow a lot more instantaneous change in rpm.

        Heh heh...
        I remembered someone else bringing it up, but it was lost in the billions of pages after tt claimed he had a fix. He read your post and began a "I know something you don't know" topic to make people forget about your thought, so that when he finally told everyone, he could claim it as his own original thought.

        Positive rep for you!
      1. rudypoochris's Avatar
        rudypoochris -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
        @tmo335tt deserves the credit.

        He found this article:
        http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-3544/
        which was authored by LuK GmbH & Co. oHG who makes dual mass flywheels for our cars.

        He then put an oscilloscope on his car while on they dyno and saw the interference.
        He def is very knowledgeable and mechanically inclined, much more than a lot of people on this forum

        Actually Shiv discovered it in his abundant testing of the ST... nice try:


        "Cheers,
        shiv

        P.S. Here is some good info on the subject of dual-mass flywheels and misfire detection:

        http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-3544/

        Shiv"

        Or maybe if he actually gave credit where it was due his post would have read:

        "Sorry I released a non-functioning product. Fortunately my customer solved the problem for me. Also here is all the work he did, step by step, which I will not claim credit for, for once."
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
        Actually Shiv discovered it in his abundant testing of the ST... nice try.


        "Cheers,
        shiv

        P.S. Here is some good info on the subject of dual-mass flywheels and misfire detection:

        http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-3544/

        Shiv"
        Shiv's post on the other site was yesterday 12/12/12 at 5:38 PM.

        Carl mentioned it at two days earlier on 12/10/12 at 4:22 PM.
      1. rudypoochris's Avatar
        rudypoochris -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
        Shiv's post on the other site was yesterday 12/12/12 at 5:38 PM.

        Carl mentioned it at two days earlier on 12/10/12 at 4:22 PM.
        My point exactly. Enlighten me as to why Shiv is taking ANY credit for this. If anything he is the one who should of not only known about it but also developed a solution. Its okay, this is the first issue... oh wait, never mind ATs apparently can't perform at Shift Sector... Oh wait... neither can MTs. AHHHH DERP.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        lol Shiv has better defense than Mayweather. Click here to enlarge