Close

    • Trouble in paradise? Vishnu/FFtec N54 335ii Single Turbo kits experiencing issues as a BimmerBoost member runs 12.5@121 with misfires and having to short shift

      BimmerBoost would like to thank member GeorgiaTech335Coupe for his openness and honesty regarding his Vishnu/FFTEC single turbo setup. Recently, this member took his single turbo upgraded 6-speed manual 335i to the PBIR (Palm Beach International Raceway) dragstrip in Florida to do some testing. His best run was a 12.50@121.6 alongside a 12.8@117. Yes, these times are quite a ways away from the 10.8@131 glory pass from Vishnu demonstrating the kits capability.


      This is in no way the fault of GeorgiaTech335Coupe who experienced misfires on his car and had to short shift at 6300 rpm in order to avoid them. Now, Vishnu has basically portrayed this kit as perfect and ready for sale with nobody having any issues. The reason BimmerBoost is bringing this issue to the attention of the community is for potential buyers to understand what they are getting into.


      There is absolutely nothing wrong with having issues when modifying a car to this level and BimmerBoost is confident Vishnu will resolve them. There is something wrong with pretending nothing is wrong. A few cars with the single turbo kits have gone up for sale and apparently a total of three people, that are willing to open their mouths, are having misfire issues with these kits.

      These issues will no doubt get resolved but potential buyers and current customers needs to be aware of the process, effort, and that progress is being made. Pretending nothing is wrong and collecting money simply is the wrong way to go about this and once again (it's becoming a trend) BimmerBoost is the only site bringing these issues to the attention of the community.

      For the record, a member by the name of @tmo335tt says he has a hardware solution for the misfires that he will likely share with Vishnu (hopefully not for free). Interesting that it isn't Vishnu but the community solving this.

      Thanks again to @GeorgiaTech335Coupe for sharing his details, good or bad, as we all learn thanks to honesty and openness. There is more to tuning than just collecting money.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Vishnu Single Turbo at PBIR - 12.50@121.6 having to shift all gears at 6300rpm started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 1090 Comments
      1. themyst's Avatar
        themyst -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
        Read again. I made a reference to the comment on the 550whp out of an RB car.



        Answer was no as I disagree its a solution. Its a workaround. In my world those two are very different.
        You were inferring rbs are not reliable when fully maxed out; I am not disagreeing with that but we are comparing all-out glory runs, not what you constitute as reliable. Technically stock is the most reliable you can get.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
        hotrod had the same issue on the JB. Its not procede, or jb and given enough time I'd put my money on it that a car that's never seen a piggyback would also exhibit the same problem.
        I think the misfires have different causes each time. I watched Shiv bypass CPS on a car at the runway and I don't think it resolved it. I had the same problem too for awhile. IIRC always cylinder 6 at higher boost levels. After some work I found my dealership, who also replaced hotrods injectors, failed to install the isolating ring on that injector. Never a misfire since @ 20psi. But if you've thoroughly eliminated every possible cause then you might as well try disabling misfire detection. It's a great tool available to us now thanks to Cobb.

        All the cars seem to have the Vishnu flash in common which is mapped out at only 2-3psi per their notes. It's possible the flash itself is the cause.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
        Answer was no as I disagree its a solution. Its a workaround. In my world those two are very different.
        So your solution was a workaround?
      1. themyst's Avatar
        themyst -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
        How does providing an example here prove your point?
        My point is you can only provide one example of a user other than hotrod exhibiting this phantom misfire issue.

        His issue could have been fouled o2 sensors or all that nitrous coming back to bite him in the ass.
      1. GeorgiaTech335Coupe's Avatar
        GeorgiaTech335Coupe -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
        Care to provide any examples of a cobb only user exhibiting this issue? My current car I have never ran the procede extensively, mostly cobb with some jb4 stacking.
        Not saying you are wrong, but I don't think anyone on Cobb is making the same power as we are discussing, which could be an element to the isse. The issue doesn't happen when I lower boost.
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
        You were inferring rbs are not reliable when fully maxed out; I am not disagreeing with that but we are comparing all-out glory runs, not what you constitute as reliable. Technically stock is the most reliable you can get.
        Not sure what your point is right now Click here to enlarge I'm not inferring anything. I'm trying to set realistic expectations out there given what the OP said in reference to an RB number being 550 and comparing it to a 580whp ST number. That's all.
      1. themyst's Avatar
        themyst -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
        Not sure what your point is right now Click here to enlarge I'm not inferring anything. I'm trying to set realistic expectations out there given what the OP said in reference to an RB number being 550 and comparing it to a 580whp ST number. That's all.
        Simple, you are preaching reliability in a discussion that does not warrant it; 500 whp or 550 whp alike.
      1. themyst's Avatar
        themyst -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
        Not saying you are wrong, but I don't think anyone on Cobb is making the same power as we are discussing, which could be an element to the isse. The issue doesn't happen when I lower boost.
        Although I have my share of issues with both shiv and the procede, I am just saying this issue seems more commonplace on this tune than any other.
      1. Blaizon's Avatar
        Blaizon -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
        Yes, I am having some issues with misfires at ~6500rpm, very similar to the same issue that DZENNO had (who never had a Vishnu Single). We are still working on a solution. This forces me to shift aroun 6300 or I'm guaranteed to go limp.

        At PBIR, I only managed to get one clean run, which was my first run. I was shifting at 6200-6200 (900-1000rpm short of redline). I did 12.50 at 121.6mph.

        The Friday night before at OSW I did 12.7 at 123mph.

        All these passes were at 23psi. Once everything looks good and is running right, I will go up to 25psi (which is where I would make close to the claimed 650whp). At 23 psi and at 6300rpm, it's probably making 510-520whp.

        From my experience drag racing, I'd be willing to bet a good some of money that the car will trap over 130mph when I can shift at 7200rpm at 25psi.

        Other issues I'm having is my ACT clutch is dragging. I couldn't stay still at the line and hold rpm without rolling past the beams. This also means I couldn't use 2-step to launch. Try launching a big turbo car without building boost. It is no fun and is laggy as hell, so I'm essentially wasting distance.

        I also couldn't use NLS because of the ACT clutch. It doesn't work well because of the low engagement point. ACT clutch is coming out this week for a new Spec clutch.
        Repped for posting despite the car not being 100% She'll be a beast for sure once everything is ironed out!
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        I think the misfires have different causes each time. I watched Shiv bypass CPS on a car at the runway and I don't think it resolved it. I had the same problem too for awhile. IIRC always cylinder 6 at higher boost levels. After some work I found my dealership, who also replaced hotrods injectors, failed to install the isolating ring on that injector. Never a misfire since @ 20psi. But if you've thoroughly eliminated every possible cause then you might as well try disabling misfire detection. It's a great tool available to us now thanks to Cobb.

        All the cars seem to have the Vishnu flash in common which is mapped out at only 2-3psi per their notes. It's possible the flash itself is the cause.
        I doubt his flash is the cause for reasons I outlined above. These issues are ALL very similar if not the same. Namely:

        1) Misfires in bank 2
        2) Fuel injection cut off
        3) Happens past 6k rpm always
        4) Doesn't happen in gears 1 and 2 ever, only 3rd and up

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        So your solution was a workaround?
        LOL Click here to enlarge There is no solution. There is a workaround. In the software world those are different but I guess they could sound like one and the same. The geek engineer brain in me has learned not to call workarounds solutions, ever Click here to enlarge Call it whatever you like on your end

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
        My point is you can only provide one example of a user other than hotrod exhibiting this phantom misfire issue.

        His issue could have been fouled o2 sensors or all that nitrous coming back to bite him in the ass.
        It "could" be anything but its awefully similar to all others having the same symptoms.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
        LOL There is no solution. There is a workaround. In the software world those are different but I guess they could sound like the same. The geek engineer brain in me has learned not to call workarounds solutions, ever Call it whatever you like on your end
        Ok so answer is yes.
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Ok so answer is yes.
        LOL too funny!
      1. amclint's Avatar
        amclint -
        +1 for putting it on a dyno and turning off misfire detection to see if it's actually misfiring, I never would do it to clear up my 4th to 5th shift misfires that hotrod and I shared but that was on nitrous Click here to enlarge

        A workaround is only a solution to a manager type, lol
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        I watched Shiv bypass CPS on a car at the runway and I don't think it resolved it.
        And why the heck is he doing that again when he's tried the same thing up here in Canada 2 years ago and it didn't do anything?
      1. JStang's Avatar
        JStang -
        This thread is blowing up! All of this hush hush hasn't gotten these issues resolved any quicker. We are seeing what happens when this is brought to light and some of the more knowledgeable people in regards to this platform chime in. An open discussion very well could help move this along although I'm not sure how willing people are to help Shiv.
      1. amclint's Avatar
        amclint -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
        This thread is blowing up! All of this hush hush hasn't gotten these issues resolved any quicker. We are seeing what happens when this is brought to light and some of the more knowledgeable people in regards to this platform chime in. An open discussion very well could help move this along although I'm not sure how willing people are to help Shiv.
        Screw Shiv, but outside of Sikh335 I don't have anything against the guys that bought into the ST, the more the community can help them overcome Shiv's premature ST release and get a working setup the better.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
        I doubt his flash is the cause for reasons I outlined above. These issues are ALL very similar if not the same. Namely:
        1) Misfires in bank 2
        2) Fuel injection cut off
        3) Happens past 6k rpm always
        4) Doesn't happen in gears 1 and 2 ever, only 3rd and up
        Remember misfire detection "rough running" is mapped on various parameters including load, rpm, etc. I always suspected the reason Shiv mapped everything out to 2psi was to dampen the misfire detection tables. Although, such a change might also have other side effects. Even something as seemingly innocuous as running your coil power through a relay system could contribute or cause it.
      1. BuraQ's Avatar
        BuraQ -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
        Not saying you are wrong, but I don't think anyone on Cobb is making the same power as we are discussing, which could be an element to the isse. The issue doesn't happen when I lower boost.
        This is new to me, what is the max PSI that you can dial in before the misfire starts ?
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
        And why the heck is he doing that again when he's tried the same thing up here in Canada 2 years ago and it didn't do anything?
        But it did. Remember, they had a CPS programming error and board design error and "fixed" the problem with Rev 2.5? Maybe he suspected the CPS was interfering with the flash. It's the first thing I would have bypassed as well in his shoes.
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
        Not sure what your point is right now Click here to enlarge I'm not inferring anything. I'm trying to set realistic expectations out there given what the OP said in reference to an RB number being 550 and comparing it to a 580whp ST number. That's all.
        I think everyone is a little confused by your neutralism when it comes to this topic. It's pretty obvious in this situation that right now, it seems like a Procede specific issue. Yes other cars have had mysterious misfires running different tunes, but those people never fully ruled all potential hardware issues.

        Your neutralism almost looks like you're defending Shiv and his tune, which is downright offensive and blasphemous.

        How dare you.