Close

    • Video of a GIAC Stage II B8 S4 walking away from a from a tuned N54 335i 6-speed manual (6MT) - B8 S4 versus 335i

      This is definitely a fast B8 S4 and the same vehicle that pulled pretty well on a bolt on E92 M3 at a recent air strip roll on racing event. So, it's faster than a bolt on manual M3 but what about a tuned E92 335i? The result is not pretty for the 335i either with the S4 walking away. Fortunately, the race is not just an exterior view but also features a picture in picture view from the S4 to give perspective. The race is a half mile long from approximately a 40 mile per hour roll.


      Unfortunately, the mod list on the E92 335i is unknown other than it is said to have a Stage II tune. Whose tune? What fuel? What supporting mods? Well, these all make a big difference. Fact is though this GIAC tuned car walks away from this particular 335.

      The S4 has the Stage 2 software, AWE-Tuning intake, BCS Automotive exhaust, AWE-Tuning pulley, Evolution Racewerks charge cooler separator, 104 octane race gas/map, and spare removed. It is an S-Tronic car.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Video of a GIAC Stage II B8 S4 walking away from a from a tuned N54 335i 6-speed manual (6MT) - B8 S4 versus 335i started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 29 Comments
      1. trickcruiser's Avatar
        trickcruiser -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC Click here to enlarge
        trap speed of around 120 on race gas with full interior.
        Best bit of info in this thread! Looks like I need to get my RB's sooner vs later. Click here to enlarge
      1. lulz_m3's Avatar
        lulz_m3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC Click here to enlarge

        No, it is certainly no match for an upgraded turbo N54. It pulled a few of the stock turbo N54's that were running on race gas, but lost to the ones running E85 (Wedge beat it by a good margin).

        Once we get the car to the track, we are expecting mid to high 11's (remember, dual clutch with launch control) and a trap speed of around 120 on race gas with full interior.
        Ok, that sounds about right. Fwiw I would expect the 335 in the video to trap 118ish with the mods you mentioned. Good power out of the S4 regardless.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC Click here to enlarge
        But Stage 1 put down 400-410 at the wheels on our Mustang dyno. This is more than the Stage 2 335i's we have dyno'd, although the S4 will put down less torque.
        So Stage 2 with pulley should be substantially more than 410?
      1. Thomas@GIAC's Avatar
        Thomas@GIAC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        So Stage 2 with pulley should be substantially more than 410?
        Horsepower will see a decent increase, but I expect the torque to have the most noticeable increase. The low end power is greatly increased with the addition of the smaller pulley. We are just waiting for AWE to release the pulley and then we can proceed with releasing all of the software and information.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC Click here to enlarge
        Horsepower will see a decent increase, but I expect the torque to have the most noticeable increase. The low end power is greatly increased with the addition of the smaller pulley. We are just waiting for AWE to release the pulley and then we can proceed with releasing all of the software and information.
        Maybe I'm jumping ahead of myself here, but what about a blower upgrade?
      1. Thomas@GIAC's Avatar
        Thomas@GIAC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Maybe I'm jumping ahead of myself here, but what about a blower upgrade?
        It is being considered, but the supercharger housing has to remain stock. As such, it would require machining the stock housing. Because of this, there won't be any TVS2300 swaps, but a TVS1900 might be possible. In time, certainly expect some kind of upgrades to pop up, whether it be a simple blower porting or a physically larger unit.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC Click here to enlarge
        It is being considered, but the supercharger housing has to remain stock. As such, it would require machining the stock housing. Because of this, there won't be any TVS2300 swaps, but a TVS1900 might be possible. In time, certainly expect some kind of upgrades to pop up, whether it be a simple blower porting or a physically larger unit.
        Why does the housing have to remain stock?
      1. Thomas@GIAC's Avatar
        Thomas@GIAC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Why does the housing have to remain stock?
        I suppose it doesn't technically have to remain stock, but it would require making a new housing that can mate up to the intake ports on the heads. Either way, there is a space limitation. I just emailed you with a few more videos from Shift Sector if you'd like to take a look.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC Click here to enlarge
        I suppose it doesn't technically have to remain stock, but it would require making a new housing that can mate up to the intake ports on the heads. Either way, there is a space limitation. I just emailed you with a few more videos from Shift Sector if you'd like to take a look.
        I got them, I'll look through them shortly. Lot's of work this morning.