• PRO TUNING FREAKS Cobb AP tuned upgraded turbo and ported cylinder head N54 E90 335i hits 553 wheel horsepower 631 wheel torque on pump gas and meth - N54 Twin Turbo World Record

      Last night I hit the dyno to see what the car can do with the new ported N54 cylinder head, RB turbos, 3.5bar TMAP sensor from the new BMW N20 four-cylinder motor, FBO (catless), pump 94 octane and meth, stock turbo inlet pipes. Key thing here, this is with a tune that sees ZERO timing corrections everywhere on all cylinders and timing that is set right at MBT for this level of boost and this car's given octane. I've run the car on the street with this exact setup this morning, number of pulls, it's pretty ridiculous.

      553WHP/631WTQ - PUMP GAS (94 Octane) + METH


      In terms of the tune, it was running more than 22.5psi in midrange, 19.7psi peak at 6k rpm, 17.5-18psi at redline. Logs of actual boost in midrange aren't available as I found out that ATP's datalogging needs to be updated to accomodate the 3.5bar scaling. I was going off my p3 gauge for midrange boost when pushed past the 22.5psi datalogging limit. I don't recommend this to anyone before ATP is updated for 3.5bar datalog scaling, it just had to be done last night and I decided to push on as I get to do what I feel is best for my car LOL and that's make some power

      No leanouts or fuel issues. LTFTs goes down to zero during the pull, STFTs trend to high negative 20s with meth. The car was running close to if not 100% meth, three 1.0mm nozzles, two of them in the FMIC outlet silicone coupler and another up in the ER charge pipe past the elbow.

      I'll be fine tuning things over the coming days but to be perfectly honest and blunt, last night was about turning things UP and NOT fine tuning. It was to find MBT and push boost as far as it can go while limiting wastegate duty cycle to about 73-74% everywhere especially past 6k rpm. It was also to experiment with various VANOS changes. I experimented with higher wg duty cycles before and RBs didn't like it. It also introduces too much backpressure into the system even fully catless that the car doesn't like it.

      So, is there more power left here. We'll see when the intake pipes are swapped for something better flowing. @George Smooth reported +19whp at his high altitude in South Africa so possibly another 20 in there without any changes. Then there's mixing race gas or E85 into it to see if there's anything there in terms of additional power through more timing. All out its very possible this will be a 575-585whp setup once all is said and done, dare I say 600 LOL

      Other runs from last night:


      By the way, on Smoothing of zero the car made 555WHP Nice even number easy to remember

      When that torque hits it feels like a big turbo came on!! Swoooooosh!

      Specs:

      PTF Cobb AP Tune
      PTF Ported Cylinder Head w/ +1mm enlarged Super Alloy Exhaust Valves
      RB Turbos
      3.5bar BMW N20 engine TMAP sensor
      Aquamist HFS-4 Methanol Injection (100% meth, three 1.0mm nozzles, Howerton 2.2gal trunk mounted tank)
      AR Catless Downpipes
      HKS Legamax Exhaust
      Custom Mr.5-like intake
      KL Racing (aka Big Tom) FMIC
      ER 3" post FMIC piping (up pipe, charge Pipe) + Tial BOV
      Okada Plasma Ignition Coils + OEM Plugs
      HPF Stage 2 Feramic Clutch + OEM Dual Mass Flywheel
      DSS 1000hp rear axles
      Rear m3 suspension bits
      2.56 Quaife LSD
      17x9 APEX ARC-8 wheels
      Nitto 555 245/45/17 front, Nitto 555R 275/40/17 rear tires
      Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber hood (single sided, vented)
      Carbon Fiber trunk
      Sunoco (Petro Canada) pump 94 Octane




      EDIT: Some people asked to see the conditions from the dyno, STD correction factor as well as the same run but in SAE. Here they are below:

      CONDITIONS AND STD CORRECTION (i.e. STD resulted in 1.00 correction, so no correction basically):



      SAE numbers for the same run (SAE correction was 0.97, so 3% lower than STD):

      This article was originally published in forum thread: PTF UPDATE: 553WHP 631WTQ - N54 TwinTurbo World Record started by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks View original post
      Comments 217 Comments
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        For the most part, yes. Depends on the track but usually you will want tighter spacing for the speeds you will be at on the roadcourse.



        If you calculate the math out the wheels will only see less at certain speeds but more at certain speeds.

        Shorter gears for example will have more torque until the 1st to 2nd shift. So once in 2nd the longer gears still in first will have more torque up until it shifts into second. This process then repeats itself but multiplication is greatest in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and then levels out pretty hard.

        See here, not an N54 but it applies as well:

        http://www.PorscheBoost.com/images/i...0e8d58_o-1.png
        ahh fair enough

        by my mental maths, 2.5x final drive compared to a 3.46, 3.46 has more torque until the 3rd shift.. and even then, it'd be very close (2nd at 2.5x getting you to 13x km/h?)

        it's a pretty extreme difference in ratios in this case though, more than between transmissions

        but then third in the 2.5x has it until 21x km/h, and by then it's all over
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I thankfully found an old post of mine I have been looking for... for well forever. If you take these dyno results, then do the math with his gears and final drive, you'll get something that looks like this:

        http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo.../FDR91B4-1.jpg

        So that's how you can figure out what gearing you want for what speeds.

        This should explain what you are seeing:

        [/FONT][/COLOR]
        thanks!

        i've never thought of it in such short terms (1/8th to 1/4 mile)

        so the DCT has a faster low speed sprint but the ratios in the 6MT allow it to pull away at much higher speeds when the torque is spread over a longer speed range

        this makes sense
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
        ahh fair enough

        by my mental maths, 2.5x final drive compared to a 3.46, 3.46 has more torque until the 3rd shift.. and even then, it'd be very close (2nd at 2.5x getting you to 13x km/h?)

        it's a pretty extreme difference in ratios in this case though, more than between transmissions
        If 3.46 is stock then ya, 2.5X is pretty radial at around 28%. So whatever first gear goes to normally it will now go 28% longer. I mean that's a pretty huge change. But this car is also making a lot more torque than stock.

        He will actually have a lot of torque in first gear for a long while.

        Is the gearing too long? I don't know.
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        If 3.46 is stock then ya, 2.5X is pretty radial at around 28%. So whatever first gear goes to normally it will now go 28% longer. I mean that's a pretty huge change. But this car is also making a lot more torque than stock.

        He will actually have a lot of torque in first gear for a long while.

        Is the gearing too long? I don't know.
        3.08 (or 3.06) is stock 6MT for the 135/335, 3.46 is for N52 powered cars (or a shorter final drive quaife/wavetrac swap) and i think steptronic's?.. though the actual gear ratios aren't comparable..
        ED: BMW 135i-Manual
        I:4.06
        II:2.40
        III:1.58
        IV:1.19
        V:1.00
        VI:0.87
        R:3.68
        Final Drive ratio:3.08

        BMW 135i-Steptronic
        I:4.17
        II:2.34
        III:1.52
        IV:1.14
        V:0.87
        VI:0.69
        R:3.40
        Final Drive Ratio:3.46

        yup

        yeah, i'm assuming it's still awesomely driveable, and going almost 90km/h in first gear in a manual car.. now that's something special lol

        also that shifting in a manual car takes up very precious time on the strip, so being able to cut out a whole shift, that helps a lot..
      1. Autobahn335i's Avatar
        Autobahn335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
        My thought is that longer gearing would be more beneficial on the strip (and smoother on the street) but less so on the track?
        Gearing depends on the race application.

        2 examples: In Rally, top speed is about 120mph so these cars have ultra short gearing.

        In Formula 1, you adapt the gearing to the longest straight of each particular track. You want the engine to hit redline (18k rpm max as per FIA rules) in top gear at the end of that straight line.
      1. Bash's Avatar
        Bash -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        . Not going to tell you again.

        LMFAO
      1. Bash's Avatar
        Bash -
        DZ,excellent results!!!

        Try driving that car on our roads, im pretty sure you wont get any traction till maybe end of fourth gear, that explains how bad our tarmac is 'very dangerous'.
        Im S2+ with some added timing and i cant get traction.
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        If anything the car is incurring more drivetrain losses now dynoing in 3rd now vs. 4th with the 3.08. Funny how this topic came up now and all this time no one compared 3.08 and 3.46 final drives Click here to enlarge in any case, in terms of racing the sort of final drive best used will depend on the race specifics really...optimizing gearimg for racing is one thing, power is another and they go hand in hand when analyzing how the car will translate power from the motor to the ground...3.46 with this much torque would be useless...3.08 may stand a chance
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        Update: found a boost leak. Line going to my p3 gauge came off. Not a big leak but nonetheless a leak..we'll see if this improves things further..thoughts?
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
        If anything the car is incurring more drivetrain losses now dynoing in 3rd now vs. 4th with the 3.08. Funny how this topic came up now and all this time no one compared 3.08 and 3.46 final drives Click here to enlarge in any case, in terms of racing the sort of final drive best used will depend on the race specifics really...optimizing gearimg for racing is one thing, power is another and they go hand in hand when analyzing how the car will translate power from the motor to the ground...3.46 with this much torque would be useless...3.08 may stand a chance
        I went from 3.08 to 3.46 and saw an increase in torque on the dyno. I would expect going the opposite way would result in a decrease in torque.

        Are you running the NT 555 or the NT 555R?
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
        I went from 3.08 to 3.46 and saw an increase in torque on the dyno. I would expect going the opposite way would result in a decrease in torque.

        Are you running the NT 555 or the NT 555R?
        Interesting. That was on a Mustang dyno correct?

        Front is 555 (regular street tire), Rear is 555R (drag radial)
      1. Andrew@activeautowerke's Avatar
        Andrew@activeautowerke -
        Very impressive! I'd take this over the single turbo conversion any day of the week !
      1. rudypoochris's Avatar
        rudypoochris -
        Shorter gear ratios typically lead to higher drivetrain loss, but again its not going to really be significant at these ratios. Especially due to other factors like dyno error and how much more loaded one run is vs the other
      1. lamia2super's Avatar
        lamia2super -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
        Update: found a boost leak. Line going to my p3 gauge came off. Not a big leak but nonetheless a leak..we'll see if this improves things further..thoughts?
        happened to me a few times and i didn't notice a difference
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
        happened to me a few times and i didn't notice a difference
        Ya its tiny, probably nothing.
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
        Interesting. That was on a Mustang dyno correct?

        Front is 555 (regular street tire), Rear is 555R (drag radial)
        Yes, same mustang dyno.
      1. Kollegga's Avatar
        Kollegga -
        awesome dzenno
      1. ChuckD05's Avatar
        ChuckD05 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
        Have you driven dzenno's car and a single turbo (with the medium or larger turbo) n54 back to back for a full day each? I take nothing away from dzenno, his car is coming together nicely. But I would personally much rather have a single setup that is capable of much more power up top. But that's just me.

        My intentions were not to turn this into a twin vs single debate again. So on this note i digress. Let's keep it on topic.
        no but i have driven cars that are similar to the two... single turbo supra or evo can most likely be compared to single n54
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
        Gearing depends on the race application.

        2 examples: In Rally, top speed is about 120mph so these cars have ultra short gearing.

        In Formula 1, you adapt the gearing to the longest straight of each particular track. You want the engine to hit redline (18k rpm max as per FIA rules) in top gear at the end of that straight line.
        Redline at end of straight? Wouldn't that lead to slightly lower average speed compared to hitting a slighty lower top speed, slightly faster? As you woul be going more mph for a longer time, compared to less mph for mos of it, then more at the end of thestraight?
      1. Itsbrokeagain's Avatar
        Itsbrokeagain -
        @dzenno are you still using OEM headbolts? I wonder if I should put a call into ARP to see if they would make headstuds?