Close

    • Maximum PSI (Max PSI) S54 / E46 M3 entry level turbo kit tuned on stock ECU/DME nearing completion, 467 wheel horsepower

      The E46 M3 turbo market does not have a large amount of competition but that may be changing shortly. Maximum PSI in New Jersey has been working on an entry level turbo kit for almost a year now and is seeing nice results putting down 467.9 wheel horsepower a nice increase from their preliminary 439 wheel horsepower dyno. What is significant here is not the power but the tuning on the stock ECU/DME and the entry level price point.

      Tuning is being handled by Technique Tuning whose owner is the only person to have a successful turbo kit for E46's thus far tuned on the stock DME. NickG as he is known has produced kits for M54 based vehicles and is arguably the best tuner to make this S54 kit happen on the stock DME. It is not easy as many tuners have failed attempting to do the same.

      Dyno is on 93 octane fuel. Turbo is a Precision 6266CEA.

      This is an absolutely incredible development for the S54 market and if NickG and Maximum PSI pull this off, major respect from the BMW tuning community is warranted. Good luck to all involved! Pictures below.

















      This article was originally published in forum thread: Maximum PSI (Max PSI) S54 / E46 M3 entry level turbo kit tuned on stock ECU/DME nearing completion, 467 wheel horsepower started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 150 Comments
      1. maximumpsi's Avatar
        maximumpsi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
        Clueless??? Obviously you haven't seen what an inline 6 cylinder should be capable of for 10k Click here to enlarge

        Oh, and the fact that they are using the stock computer means less hardware is necessary, so that's even less you should be paying for. I'm not sure what you mean saying HPF does this with built motors. There is a stock block HPF M3 running 700hp, so 460hp looks a little lame.
        Our kit is engineered to deliver reliable and repeatable power, OBD2 compliance, and be competitively priced. It retains full knock control and dual vanos optimized for our turbo package. Our hardware consists of top-notch components all hand fabbed in the USA. It has a reprogrammed factory ECU with countless hours of development.

        This thread isn't here to compare our kit to HPF, however it does need some clarification. We have two completely different products, even though they are both for the same car. Our kit is knock limited by the fuel that we are running, 93 octane pump gas. This goes for any sc or turbo system for these cars, including HPF. The HPF kits can achieve 650+whp on a stock block by running a combination of race fuel and/or methanol injection. Our hardware is also capable of the same numbers, although we would choose a different compressor if we moved from our ~450 whp goal. We chose to eliminate a meth injection system to suppress knock (like AA and HPF use on their kits) and just develop as efficient of a system as possible on 93. If you are looking for 700whp you are in the wrong thread.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maximumpsi Click here to enlarge
        Our kit is engineered to deliver reliable and repeatable power, OBD2 compliance, and be competitively priced. It retains full knock control and dual vanos optimized for our turbo package. Our hardware consists of top-notch components all hand fabbed in the USA. It has a reprogrammed factory ECU with countless hours of development.

        This thread isn't here to compare our kit to HPF, however it does need some clarification. We have two completely different products, even though they are both for the same car. Our kit is knock limited by the fuel that we are running, 93 octane pump gas. This goes for any sc or turbo system for these cars, including HPF. The HPF kits can achieve 650+whp on a stock block by running a combination of race fuel and/or methanol injection. Our hardware is also capable of the same numbers, although we would choose a different compressor if we moved from our ~450 whp goal. We chose to eliminate a meth injection system to suppress knock (like AA and HPF use on their kits) and just develop as efficient of a system as possible on 93. If you are looking for 700whp you are in the wrong thread.
        A lot of people focus on peak numbers.

        You are targeting a different type of kit and that is absolutely fine.

        With a full exhaust 500 whp should be a reasonable expectation which on 93 pump is very nice.
      1. G0TB00ST?'s Avatar
        G0TB00ST? -
        Does this kit include a bov? Ive watched a few videos of this car and haven't heard one.
      1. maximumpsi's Avatar
        maximumpsi -
        Yes, it utilizes a BOV. It is pretty noticable in person.

        The biggest difference with our kit compared to HPF's is the fact that we can take our car to the state DMV, run it through our yearly inspection and pass without a hitch. This just isn't possible with their current system. Don't get me wrong, HPF does have a nice system. The switchable maps enable them to have pretty awesome numbers with little to no hardware changes. Their hardware looks great, and we have driven and serviced numerous cars with their kits, we just chose to go a different route with our kit.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        And you will have no way of doing switchable maps?
      1. G0TB00ST?'s Avatar
        G0TB00ST? -
        Can't wait for this to drop! Keep up the great workClick here to enlarge
      1. maximumpsi's Avatar
        maximumpsi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        And you will have no way of doing switchable maps?
        We don't have any flashloader at the moment. It is an option we will look into down the road. The current fuel system is designed for it's current hp level. A race gas calibration would need larger injectors at a minimum.
      1. Eleventeen's Avatar
        Eleventeen -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NickG Click here to enlarge
        So what you're saying is that the factory computer will automatically tune itself for a turbo install?

        Damn, I wish I would have spoken to you before!!!

        I've just wasted hundreds, if not thousands, of hours in R&D to do what nobody else has done. And all along the computer would just work with the factory stock programming. Man, where have you been all this time? Can I call you and pick your brain a bit......you obviously know way more about this stuff than anybody else.

        Click here to enlarge

        Lol, I'm not knocking the fact that you tuned the factory computer; that's awesome. I'm just saying the price sucks for the performance. Yeah, I know HPF costs more, but guess what: they're over priced too.
      1. maximumpsi's Avatar
        maximumpsi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
        Lol, I'm not knocking the fact that you tuned the factory computer; that's awesome. I'm just saying the price sucks for the performance. Yeah, I know HPF costs more, but guess what: they're over priced too.
        If all of these kits were as overpriced as you say they are, someone else would just swoop in and sell them for 6k like you say is a fair price. So far I don't see people lining up around the corner offering such a kit.

        If the market deems we are out of line with the price, we have ways to combat that issue.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
        Lol, I'm not knocking the fact that you tuned the factory computer; that's awesome. I'm just saying the price sucks for the performance. Yeah, I know HPF costs more, but guess what: they're over priced too.
        The factory DME tuning isn't just awesome, it's something nobody has done. Everyone else struggled with the part throttle partial load tuning. Nobody else got it down. So, that's a major step.

        Secondly, where else are you going to get just under 500 whp on pump only for $9.5k?

        HPF will outpower this, yes, considerably even but it will take the Stage 2 with meth won't it?
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
        Lol, I'm not knocking the fact that you tuned the factory computer; that's awesome. I'm just saying the price sucks for the performance. Yeah, I know HPF costs more, but guess what: they're over priced too.
        You probably don't understand what either company has done, or the costs involved.

        Can you quantify what your reference point is please?
      1. Eleventeen's Avatar
        Eleventeen -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mikecoupe Click here to enlarge
        Mid-elevens is better as:

        60' - 1.920
        330' - 5.304
        1/8 - 8.018
        MPH - 89.99
        1000' - 10.335
        1/4 - 12.282
        MPH - 116.70

        Do you remember?Click here to enlarge
        LOL, yeah online stalker, I remember that.

        1) Not my best run
        2) I didn't spend anywhere near 10k to do it.
        3) Didn't even spend 5k to do it

        Different platform, totally irrelevant, so what's your point?
      1. Eleventeen's Avatar
        Eleventeen -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
        You probably don't understand what either company has done, or the costs involved.

        Can you quantify what your reference point is please?
        Maybe not. Maybe I don't understand the amount of hardware necessary, or the complexities involved on this platform. So let's instead flip this question so that I can understand; please tell me why it costs so much to turbo a 13 year old car. I'm not setting you up for an argument, I'm genuinely curious.
      1. 7to3_enthusiast's Avatar
        7to3_enthusiast -
        Eleventeen, you're judging the price of a kit by it's hardware and peak HP? A 3.2 motor making nearly 470 RWHP at 8 psi? That's nearly 550 flywheel hp, practically better power to weight ratio than the new M5...and just as driveable by looking at the torque curve. Plus you can pass emissions legally, beat on it and not worry thanks to Nicks attention to detail with his tuning. Slow your role man and do a little research before jumping to conclusions, if they wanted to make 700 rwhp, they could. That's not what this kit was intended for.
      1. black bnr32's Avatar
        black bnr32 -
        Here's something to think about eleventeen. 1000 hours of tuning/development time (or 6 months at 40 hours per week for 1 person) at a rate of $100 per hour(or $200,000 per year) is $100,000. Assuming they make $2000 profit per kit, that means they need to sell 50 kits just to pay the tuner. How many kits do you think HPF has sold? maybe 150 total? I remember Chris at HPF saying he had 750k invested in his kit.
      1. NickG's Avatar
        NickG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
        Here's something to think about eleventeen. 1000 hours of tuning/development time (or 6 months at 40 hours per week for 1 person) at a rate of $100 per hour(or $200,000 per year) is $100,000. Assuming they make $2000 profit per kit, that means they need to sell 50 kits just to pay the tuner. How many kits do you think HPF has sold? maybe 150 total? I remember Chris at HPF saying he had 750k invested in his kit.
        Thank you!

        Finally somebody who's taken the time to do simple math and evaluate what it really costs to bring something like this to market. Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NickG Click here to enlarge
        Thank you!

        Finally somebody who's taken the time to do simple math and evaluate what it really costs to bring something like this to market. Click here to enlarge
        I'd try to pay you in beers and tacos.
      1. NickG's Avatar
        NickG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'd try to pay you in beers and tacos.
        So did Maximum PSI Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NickG Click here to enlarge
        So did Maximum PSI Click here to enlarge
        See now this is how the tuning business should work.
      1. GG///M3's Avatar
        GG///M3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
        Here's something to think about eleventeen. 1000 hours of tuning/development time (or 6 months at 40 hours per week for 1 person) at a rate of $100 per hour(or $200,000 per year) is $100,000. Assuming they make $2000 profit per kit, that means they need to sell 50 kits just to pay the tuner. How many kits do you think HPF has sold? maybe 150 total? I remember Chris at HPF saying he had 750k invested in his kit.
        Correct. When I designed the HPF kit there was much time I invested. About 35 mins Pluto time which is about 35 months earth time.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NickG Click here to enlarge
        Thank you!

        Finally somebody who's taken the time to do simple math and evaluate what it really costs to bring something like this to market. Click here to enlarge
        Yes he see's the truth. Very few posting about DSM kitted cars that are far cheaper to mod do not understand that you are working with a bmw dme.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'd try to pay you in beers and tacos.
        Click here to enlarge