• F10 M5 underrated claims backed up with 534 wheel horsepower Mustang dyno in SAE

      A lot of excitement is being generated with independent dynos coming out showing the F10 M5 being significantly underrated. Here is a dyno video of a stock F10 M5 on a Mustang Dyno in 87 degree weather putting down 534 wheel horsepower (SAE). These runs were done in 4th gear and clearly support the 527 wheel horsepower numbers shown on the dynojet in SAE correction by IND.

      It is quickly becoming apparent the F10 M5 is packing some heat and will be a great tuner platform. Claims are being put forth by tuners there is a good amount to gain in the exhaust system. With tunes and bolt on's this car may crack the 600 wheel horsepower mark relatively quickly. It remains to be seen how much room there is to play with the stock turbos. For now though, the new M5 is already a beast.



      This article was originally published in forum thread: F10 M5 underrated claims backed up with 534 wheel horsepower Mustang dyno in SAE started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 15 Comments
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Shouldn't a Mustang read lower than DJ? And IND used 3rd while this is done in 4th. Maybe it's a happy Mustang or IND's DJ read low.

        Eitherway it's great to see this engine is so powerful.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        Shouldn't a Mustang read lower than DJ?
        That's a general rule but it doesn't always hold true. Look at this Mustang dyno for the F10 M5 that does agree with that. I think this Mustang just happens to read like a dynojet or is set that way as this is how it "should" be:

        Click here to enlarge
      1. spool twice's Avatar
        spool twice -
        dyno didn't go to redline?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spool twice Click here to enlarge
        dyno didn't go to redline?
        Guess not.
      1. spool twice's Avatar
        spool twice -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Guess not.
        a monster indeed nonetheless.
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        Shouldn't a Mustang read lower than DJ? And IND used 3rd while this is done in 4th. Maybe it's a happy Mustang or IND's DJ read low.

        Eitherway it's great to see this engine is so powerful.
        Wouldn't a 4th gear pull read higher than 3rd since it gives the turbos more time to load? I think I saw that when inside line tested an S63 using 4th and 5th. I wonder how close this motor is to the limit since this is a 4.4 outpowering the 5.5 M157.
      1. evolve's Avatar
        evolve -
        What was the correction factor?

        We are finding them to be very close to the power quoted.

        Remember, correction factor (SAE, DIN, STD) can sometimes have a very skewing effect on the power.

        Here's our graph on a Dyno Dynamics. 4th gear on 99 Euro Octane. Correction Factor was around 0.97 (minus 3%). So uncorrected around 456 whp. Done in shoot out mode.

        It's simply not possible that one car here is making almost 100hp less.

        An E60 M5 makes just under 400 whp on our dyno. The difference on paper and dyno is consistent at around 50hp.






        Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge
        What was the correction factor?

        We are finding them to be very close to the power quoted.

        Remember, correction factor (SAE, DIN, STD) can sometimes have a very skewing effect on the power.

        Here's our graph on a Dyno Dynamics. 4th gear on 99 Euro Octane. Correction Factor was around 0.97 (minus 3%). So uncorrected around 456 whp. Done in shoot out mode.

        It's simply not possible that one car here is making almost 100hp less.

        An E60 M5 makes just under 400 whp on our dyno. The difference on paper and dyno is consistent at around 50hp.






        http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...e74f11_b-1.jpg

        Not sure on the mustang but on dynojets it seems the new M5/M6 are in the 520-530 range which is stout.
      1. evolve's Avatar
        evolve -
        Dynojets read really much higher than DD when it comes to FI cars.

        The difference can be staggering.
      1. Mike@VAC's Avatar
        Mike@VAC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That's a general rule but it doesn't always hold true. Look at this Mustang dyno for the F10 M5 that does agree with that. I think this Mustang just happens to read like a dynojet or is set that way as this is how it "should" be:
        A dyno operator can make a Mustang show 700whp for a stock F10 M5 if you wish.

        I can say with confidence that our Mustang is 100% 'stock' That's why it reads low, typically lower than most Mustangs.

        I will never forget the first time I ran my Supra on a dyno. The tech asks me, "so Mike, how much power do you want to make today?" He then explained that dyno numbers are easily manipulated and ONLY good for the delta (on the same dyno).
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
        A dyno operator can make a Mustang show 700whp for a stock F10 M5 if you wish.

        I can say with confidence that our Mustang is 100% 'stock' That's why it reads low, typically lower than most Mustangs.

        I will never forget the first time I ran my Supra on a dyno. The tech asks me, "so Mike, how much power do you want to make today?" He then explained that dyno numbers are easily manipulated and ONLY good for the delta (on the same dyno).
        Definitely valid to keep in consideration how dyno numbers can be manipulated.
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        Yep. Acceleration numbers and weight show true power assuming no traction issues.
      1. evolve's Avatar
        evolve -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
        A dyno operator can make a Mustang show 700whp for a stock F10 M5 if you wish.

        I can say with confidence that our Mustang is 100% 'stock' That's why it reads low, typically lower than most Mustangs.

        I will never forget the first time I ran my Supra on a dyno. The tech asks me, "so Mike, how much power do you want to make today?" He then explained that dyno numbers are easily manipulated and ONLY good for the delta (on the same dyno).
        Well said.

        I have been over this subject some time back.

        Without a correction factor - dyno results belong in the bin.

        Anyone can set the correction factor upto around +30%!

        I for one do not believe that an F10 M5 can produce 530+ wheel consistently on a Mustang when they read so close to a DD normally.

        Delta is what it's all about but people mess with the correction factor for the 'after tuned' runs to bump them up.

        Too much of that goes on.

        Anyway, I do not believe the F10 is either over or under rated.

        We will dyno another one on our machine with correction factors shown clearly.
      1. Andrew@activeautowerke's Avatar
        Andrew@activeautowerke -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge
        Well said.

        I have been over this subject some time back.

        Without a correction factor - dyno results belong in the bin.

        Anyone can set the correction factor upto around +30%!

        I for one do not believe that an F10 M5 can produce 530+ wheel consistently on a Mustang when they read so close to a DD normally.

        Delta is what it's all about but people mess with the correction factor for the 'after tuned' runs to bump them up.

        Too much of that goes on.

        Anyway, I do not believe the F10 is either over or under rated.

        We will dyno another one on our machine with correction factors shown clearly.
        Amen!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge
        Anyway, I do not believe the F10 is either over or under rated.
        I strongly believe it is underrated .