Close

    • Velos Designwerks BMW F10 550i N63 Twin Turbo V8 dyno tune results - 441 whp and catless CEL (check engine light) disabled

      Velos Designwerks recently did a custom tune for BimmerBoost member Jimefam's F10 BMW 550i. This user was having trouble finding a tuner who was able to tune his car around his mods and disable the check engine light he had as a result of his catless AR Design N63 downpipes. For a while now Dinan seemed to be the main option for these motors but they were not willing to do custom tunes.

      Velos was able to not only turn off the CEL (check engine light) but also was able to gain considerable power. 441 wheel horsepower to be exact with the downpipes which exceeds the Dinan Stage 3 which put down 411 to the wheels on a dynojet considerably as well as the 386 wheel horsepower baseline. We have not seen a higher horsepower N63 dyno graph.

      The only downside is that the car must be tuned onsite. These are very impressive results. Whatever Velos is doing definitely is working.




      This article was originally published in forum thread: Velos Designwerks F10 N63 Tune! started by Jimefam View original post
      Comments 47 Comments
      1. Jimefam's Avatar
        Jimefam -
        Ok they finished the tuning and I got a call from Jean that the car was ready, it put down 386whp and 431wtq stock which matched almost exactly what I had dyno'd the last time in Atl on another dynojet. After their tuning it put down 440whp and 491wtq for a peak gain of 54whp and 60wtq with a max gain of 80whp@6000rpm and 80ft-lbs@4500rpm so overall I'm pretty pleased. They will be dropping off the car at my office in a few hours after they put new wheels on it(as I cracked a rim of my old set of wheels and decided to get new ones) so I will post up a reaction and complete review later.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        sick man
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Does Omar from Active Autowerke tune for VD BTW?
      1. Jimefam's Avatar
        Jimefam -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        Does Omar from Active Autowerke tune for VD BTW?
        Yes him and Jean from AA are now Velos. I picked up the car already and am driving back to ATL but I haven't been able to get on it too much as its pouring rain here but it feels good under partial throttle and it's a lot more responsive. I tried flooring it but even in fourth gear the damned traction control comes on and in higher gears it's too fast for this rain and my pregnant wife passenger. I've got dyno charts and pictures on my iPhone but don't know how to post them til tonight when I get on a computer.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        interesting
      1. Jimefam's Avatar
        Jimefam -
        So here are some pictures and a Dyno chart sent to me from Velos after the tune and rim and tire install:

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        I really havent gotten on the car as last night the drive back was marred by lots of rain and today I dropped off the car to get detailed. I'll probably take the car to my previous dyno shop just to back up whats on here but there wont be any performance numbers for a good while since I leave to LA on tuesday.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Nice rims man. Completes the look of the M-Sport kit.

        Great numbers too. The curve is worlds better than the ones i've seen from TT V8 MB's.

        EDIT: The baseline includes catless downpipes and exhaust, right?
      1. alextremo's Avatar
        alextremo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
        Ok they finished the tuning and I got a call from Jean that the car was ready, it put down 386whp and 431wtq stock which matched almost exactly what I had dyno'd the last time in Atl on another dynojet. After their tuning it put down 440whp and 491wtq for a peak gain of 54whp and 60wtq with a max gain of 80whp@6000rpm and 80ft-lbs@4500rpm so overall I'm pretty pleased. They will be dropping off the car at my office in a few hours after they put new wheels on it(as I cracked a rim of my old set of wheels and decided to get new ones) so I will post up a reaction and complete review later.
        Are they only able to tune with the car onsite?
      1. Jimefam's Avatar
        Jimefam -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
        Are they only able to tune with the car onsite?
        Yes they need the car right now, you can't even send the dme in as the way they tune it is unique.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
        Ok they finished the tuning and I got a call from Jean that the car was ready, it put down 386whp and 431wtq stock which matched almost exactly what I had dyno'd the last time in Atl on another dynojet. After their tuning it put down 440whp and 491wtq for a peak gain of 54whp and 60wtq with a max gain of 80whp@6000rpm and 80ft-lbs@4500rpm so overall I'm pretty pleased. They will be dropping off the car at my office in a few hours after they put new wheels on it(as I cracked a rim of my old set of wheels and decided to get new ones) so I will post up a reaction and complete review later.
        Dude.... wow. I'm impressed.

        So they were able to do what nobody else was able to yet, eh?

        I might need to give Velos some more credit.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
        Yes they need the car right now, you can't even send the dme in as the way they tune it is unique.
        Going to be very difficult for people not in the area.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Velos Designwerks recently did a custom tune for BimmerBoost member Jimefam's F10 BMW 550i. This user was having trouble finding a tuner who was able to tune his car around his mods and disable the check engine light he had as a result of his catless AR Design N63 downpipes. For a while now Dinan seemed to be the main option for these motors but they were not willing to do custom tunes.

        Velos was able to not only turn off the CEL (check engine light) but also was able to gain considerable power. 441 wheel horsepower to be exact with the downpipes which exceeds the Dinan Stage 3 which put down 411 to the wheels on a dynojet considerably as well as the 386 wheel horsepower baseline. We have not seen a higher horsepower N63 dyno graph.

        The only downside is that the car must be tuned onsite. These are very impressive results. Whatever Velos is doing definitely is working.

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge
      1. NHDINANSTAGE3's Avatar
        NHDINANSTAGE3 -
        My 2012 F10 550i stock has 400 HP at the crank and 450 TQ at the crank, is this a euro version or something? I'm only asking beceause assuming a 20-25% drive trane loss I'm sure my car put down between 300 and 320HP on the pavement. So if your getting 386 stock that can't be a US N63.

        contrats on your numbers...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NHDINANSTAGE3 Click here to enlarge
        My 2012 F10 550i stock has 400 HP at the crank and 450 TQ at the crank, is this a euro version or something? I'm only asking beceause assuming a 20-25% drive trane loss I'm sure my car put down between 300 and 320HP on the pavement. So if your getting 386 stock that can't be a US N63.

        contrats on your numbers...
        He has catless downpipes for his baseline, not 100% stock.
      1. NHDINANSTAGE3's Avatar
        NHDINANSTAGE3 -
        Ahh, wow, that's cool... I've been very interested in the AR down pipes, but that CEL issue is a real pain. I'd be worried about anyone trying to flash that out might mess up my Dinan Tune...
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NHDINANSTAGE3 Click here to enlarge
        My 2012 F10 550i stock has 400 HP at the crank and 450 TQ at the crank, is this a euro version or something? I'm only asking beceause assuming a 20-25% drive trane loss I'm sure my car put down between 300 and 320HP on the pavement. So if your getting 386 stock that can't be a US N63.

        contrats on your numbers...
        Besides the fact that he has mods as Sticky pointed out, it's widely known that all of these turbo BMW engines are massively underrated and are actually making a lot more power than what BMW claims. The 1M, for example, puts down almost as much at the wheels as BMW's claimed crank numbers!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NHDINANSTAGE3 Click here to enlarge
        Ahh, wow, that's cool... I've been very interested in the AR down pipes, but that CEL issue is a real pain. I'd be worried about anyone trying to flash that out might mess up my Dinan Tune...
        Exactly.

        The downpipes with no cats will cause a CEL. Dinan doesn't seem to be able or maybe more accurately willing to disable it.

        It would seem the Velos tune not only will offer more power than Dinan it will disable the CEL and be custom tuned for your setup.

        Don't get me wrong, Dinan does great stuff but it is in areas like this that their sort of one size fit all approach does not work.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        Besides the fact that he has mods as Sticky pointed out, it's widely known that all of these turbo BMW engines are massively underrated and are actually making a lot more power than what BMW claims
        Another good point.
      1. inlineS54B32's Avatar
        inlineS54B32 -
        I would love to see you run a stock m3 - I would think you would win in a quarter mile.

        Good numbers - are you planning on taking it down the strip?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
        I would love to see you run a stock m3 - I would think you would win in a quarter mile.
        Oh ya, he most definitely would.

        This car should trap 116? More in cold weather?