Close

    • Insideline tests the 2012 W204 Mercedes C63 AMG Black Series Coupe - 12.2@115 1/4 mile and 69 MPH slalom

      The C63 AMG Black Series Coupe obviously looks like it means business. As it should, it is a Black Series and the aeryodynamics are designed to be functional with track performance in mind. The car is not cheap with an as tested price of $129,725. You expect incredible performance at that level and well the car is good but tough to defend for the money. Insideline gets a 12.2@115 out of it which is not bad but certainly not really superior to the standard C63 or one with a P31 performance package for that matter.

      The Black Series is really about handling and track performance though and with .96g's on the skidpad and 69.5 miles per hour through the slalom it will run circles around a standard C63. The thing is, with its high base price as well as 4,044 pound curb weight it won't be nearly the same weapon as the lighter and faster Porsche 911 GT3 around the track even though it has a similar price tag.

      We really like the car but it will take a special kind of hardcore Mercedes enthusiast to cough up this much dough for this level of performance. The exclusivity is unquestionable.


      Vehicle: 2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 Coupe Black Series
      Odometer: 3,873
      Date: 7/24/2012
      Driver: Mike Monticello
      Price: $129,725 (est.)

      Specifications:
      Drive Type: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
      Transmission Type: Seven-speed automatic
      Engine Type: Naturally aspirated, port-injected V8
      Displacement (cc/cu-in): 6,208/379
      Redline (rpm): 7,250
      Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 510 @ 6,800
      Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 457 @ 5,200
      Brake Type (front): 15.4-inch two-piece ventilated cross-drilled and slotted cast-iron discs with six-piston fixed calipers
      Brake Type (rear): 14.2-inch one-piece ventilated cross-drilled and slotted cast-iron discs with four-piston fixed calipers
      Suspension Type(front): Independent MacPherson struts with dual lower ball joints, height-adjustable coil springs, monotube dampers with separate rebound and compression manual adjustments, stabilizer bar
      Suspension Type (rear): Independent multilink, height-adjustable coil springs, monotube dampers with separate rebound and compression manual adjustments, stabilizer bar
      Tire Size (front): 255/35ZR19 (96Y)
      Tire Size (rear): 285/30ZR19 (98Y)
      Tire Brand: Dunlop
      Tire Model: Sport Maxx Race MO
      Tire Type: Asymmetrical summer performance
      As Tested Curb Weight (lb): 4,044

      Test Results:
      Acceleration
      0-30 (sec): 1.8 (2.0w/ TC on)
      0-45 (sec): 2.8 (3.0w/ TC on)
      0-60 (sec): 4.0 (4.2w/ TC on)
      0-60 with 1-ft rollout (sec): 3.8 (3.9w/ TC on)
      0-75 (sec): 5.8 (6.0w/ TC on)
      1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 12.2 @ 115 (12.3 @ 114.1 w/ TC on)

      Braking
      30-0 (ft): 27
      60-0 (ft): 101

      Handling
      Slalom (mph): 69.5 (69.2 w/TC on)
      Skid Pad Lateral Acceleration (g): 0.96 (0.95 w/TC on)
      Db @ Idle: 48.2
      Db @ Full Throttle: 80.6
      Db @ 70-mph Cruise: 65.2
      RPM @ 70: 1,900

      This article was originally published in forum thread: IL track tested the C63 BS started by Sorena View original post
      Comments 17 Comments
      1. BK63AMG's Avatar
        BK63AMG -
        Damn...my eurocharged sedan accelerates faster across the board. I'd expect the BS to be at least as fast as a P31 or tuned sedan/coupe.

        I would also have expected them to have included a much less restrictive exhaust/manifold set-up as well to open up the power a bit.

        At this pricepoint, I'd expect a car capable of running high 11s straight from the factory.
      1. I am Jeff's Avatar
        I am Jeff -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BK63AMG Click here to enlarge
        Damn...my eurocharged sedan accelerates faster across the board. I'd expect the BS to be at least as fast as a P31 or tuned sedan/coupe.

        I would also have expected them to have included a much less restrictive exhaust/manifold set-up as well to open up the power a bit.

        At this pricepoint, I'd expect a car capable of running high 11s straight from the factory.
        The key difference between your tuned acceleration and the times posted for the BS, is that you achieved those times at a prepped drag strip and the BS achieved it in a parking lot. I'm pretty sure if all factors are equal, it should be able to achieve high 11's from the factory.
      1. BK63AMG's Avatar
        BK63AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I am Jeff Click here to enlarge
        The key difference between your tuned acceleration and the times posted for the BS, is that you achieved those times at a prepped drag strip and the BS achieved it in a parking lot. I'm pretty sure if all factors are equal, it should be able to achieve high 11's from the factory.
        Definitely a good point as my 1/4 mile times were obviously done on a track. Does the article mention these 1/4 mile times were done in a parking lot? I didn't notice.

        My 0-60 runs, however, were done on the street with a vbox and were consistently in the 3.8-3.9 second range.
      1. BK63AMG's Avatar
        BK63AMG -
        Another thing to keep in mind is that these numbers are pretty consistent with P31 C63s as tested by numerous magazines. While I understand that straight line speed wasn't the main focus, I do think the BS should be appreciably faster than no BS C63s from the factory - especially for the premium!

        With all of that said, I still want one!
      1. Sonny's Avatar
        Sonny -
        I think the C63 BS will show better numbers in colder weather. But, not much better numbers. Seems kind of underwhelming. But, then again, the C63 BS is leaps beyond the regular C63 P31 on a road course. There, it's aerodynamics, better braking, center of gravity, and handling show it's superiority to its non-Black Series counterpart.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BK63AMG Click here to enlarge
        Damn...my eurocharged sedan accelerates faster across the board. I'd expect the BS to be at least as fast as a P31 or tuned sedan/coupe.

        I would also have expected them to have included a much less restrictive exhaust/manifold set-up as well to open up the power a bit.

        At this pricepoint, I'd expect a car capable of running high 11s straight from the factory.
        They test at Fontana (super slow) so keep that in mind.
      1. MSIZZLE's Avatar
        MSIZZLE -
        guys nice car but there is allot out there for 130!! especially if you are looking at a 1 year old used car, or a brand new 2013 gtr with 30k for mods, your talking a high 9 sec gtr that will run circles around that car on a road course
      1. MSIZZLE's Avatar
        MSIZZLE -
        i may get flamed for this but imo that car is 85k max! when they pop up used the market will determine the value
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
        guys nice car but there is allot out there for 130!! especially if you are looking at a 1 year old used car, or a brand new 2013 gtr with 30k for mods, your talking a high 9 sec gtr that will run circles around that car on a road course
        The GTR is not rear wheel drive and does not have a high revving naturally aspirated motor. This is a different kind of car.
      1. MSIZZLE's Avatar
        MSIZZLE -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The GTR is not rear wheel drive and does not have a high revving naturally aspirated motor. This is a different kind of car.
        i agree Sticky, im looking for a new car and was excited about this car till is saw the price, i prefer rwd,manual, and limited nannies. this car isnt a manual but i would love to own a white one. if i spent 130 i would get a 2011 or so porshe gt2/3
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
        i agree Sticky, im looking for a new car and was excited about this car till is saw the price, i prefer rwd,manual, and limited nannies. this car isnt a manual but i would love to own a white one. if i spent 130 i would get a 2011 or so porshe gt2/3
        I would definitely have trouble picking this over a GT3 but the thought of one supercharged is pretty damn enticing.
      1. Dodger63's Avatar
        Dodger63 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I would definitely have trouble picking this over a GT3 but the thought of one supercharged is pretty damn enticing.
        It almost seems like 2 different worlds gt3 like a scalpal. Supercharged c63 like a sledgehammer.. not that ive driven either..
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dodger63 Click here to enlarge
        It almost seems like 2 different worlds gt3 like a scalpal. Supercharged c63 like a sledgehammer.. not that ive driven either..
        That's a pretty good way to put it.
      1. kurtdaniel's Avatar
        kurtdaniel -
        nice car!!
      1. JonsC63AMG's Avatar
        JonsC63AMG -
        C63 Blk is suppose to kick ass on the ring. But I thought the 1/4 trap would be better.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonsC63AMG Click here to enlarge
        C63 Blk is suppose to kick ass on the ring. But I thought the 1/4 trap would be better.
        It's ring time is just decent.
      1. ron_davis's Avatar
        ron_davis -
        lovely car!!