• Dinan Stage 3 F10 550i (N63 twin turbo V8) tune hits 411 horsepower to the rear wheels

      Tuning for the new N63 twin turbo V8 has been a bit hard to come by from sources other than Dinan. Unlike the S63 in the X5M and X6M, it seems the N63 has been harder for tuners to crack. Not Dinan however who has updated their offering to a Stage 3 tune. Dinan does not publish dyno numbers with their products (which we definitely do not like) so we want to thank BimmerBoost member alextremo for taking the time to dyno his rear wheel drive and manual 550i on a dynojet with just the tune only.

      Unfortunately we do not have the dyno numbers for when alextremo had just the Stage 2 Dinan tune but he did run 12.9@112.9 in the 1/4 mile with it. We are hoping he hits the dragstrip with the Dinan Stage 3 on his car to see if there is a noticeable difference. This tune combined with downpipes and an exhaust should also be capable of a bit more power. The Dinan Stage 3 tune retails for $3,699.00.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Dinan Stage 3 Tune w/o Exhaust started by alextremo View original post
      Comments 32 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NHDINANSTAGE3 Click here to enlarge
        Assuming you are getting 20-25% drivetrain loss those numbers seem about on par. I'm having my car DYNO'd on the 7th, just to check a few things out. One thing I've figure out is that if your running the car for the best 1/4 mile you need to shift it seems right around 5500 RPM. Based on your Dyno run above that seems right. You may get better numbers using the paddle shifter if you have the sport transmission. Have you looked into the AR Downpipes?
        Would like to see your graphs when it is done on the 7th.
      1. alextremo's Avatar
        alextremo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NHDINANSTAGE3 Click here to enlarge
        Assuming you are getting 20-25% drivetrain loss those numbers seem about on par. I'm having my car DYNO'd on the 7th, just to check a few things out. One thing I've figure out is that if your running the car for the best 1/4 mile you need to shift it seems right around 5500 RPM. Based on your Dyno run above that seems right. You may get better numbers using the paddle shifter if you have the sport transmission. Have you looked into the AR Downpipes?
        Yeah, I had the dyno done before I went to the track and saw the same thing. I was definitely short shifting - probably closer to 6k though.

        No paddle shifters here, my car is 6MT. I have looked at the AR DPs (and had them on my previous car) but haven't seen a solution to the CEL, and the only before/after dyno I saw showed a loss of power with no tuning. Will have to find a tuning solution that I can justify getting rid of my Dinan flash before I go that route.
      1. alextremo's Avatar
        alextremo -
        Also, an update on the OP - a couple weeks after the dyno I had the car flashed back to Stage 2. I haven't been back to the dyno but the car feels like it's running stronger and got rid of the lag I was experiencing so I'm happy with my decision.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
        Also, an update on the OP - a couple weeks after the dyno I had the car flashed back to Stage 2. I haven't been back to the dyno but the car feels like it's running stronger and got rid of the lag I was experiencing so I'm happy with my decision.
        You feel like the car is stronger with the Stage II versus Stage III? Why?
      1. alextremo's Avatar
        alextremo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You feel like the car is stronger with the Stage II versus Stage III? Why?
        Don't know - I don't have any exhaust mods but had the dealer ask Dinan directly and they said exhaust wasn't required for Stage 3. Not sure if that had something to do with it, but I felt more lag and it felt flatter up top after Stage 3 so I downgraded. I'm happy with the results.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
        Don't know - I don't have any exhaust mods but had the dealer ask Dinan directly and they said exhaust wasn't required for Stage 3. Not sure if that had something to do with it, but I felt more lag and it felt flatter up top after Stage 3 so I downgraded. I'm happy with the results.
        Wouldn't you like to dyno to confirm?
      1. alextremo's Avatar
        alextremo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Wouldn't you like to dyno to confirm?
        Yes but Dinan only advertise I think 10 hp between stage 2 and stage 3, definitely within the range of error with different day/different gas, etc. Right now I am much happier with the way the car is running, I'll make it back to the dyno at some point but I'm not in a rush. Will post here when I do.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
        Yes but Dinan only advertise I think 10 hp between stage 2 and stage 3, definitely within the range of error with different day/different gas, etc. Right now I am much happier with the way the car is running, I'll make it back to the dyno at some point but I'm not in a rush. Will post here when I do.
        I understand your point here. No rush on my end either just want to see the difference.
      1. Droptopp's Avatar
        Droptopp -
        I have an x5 with stage II and asked Dinan for stage III for my new 550ix and they said definitely not.

        Says that the settings are wrong on the exhaust side and will not be able to compensate resulting in more lag and less responsiveness
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Droptopp Click here to enlarge
        I have an x5 with stage II and asked Dinan for stage III for my new 550ix and they said definitely not.
        Why not? Due to lag? I don't get it.
      1. Droptopp's Avatar
        Droptopp -
        I've emailed Scott at Dinan and will let you know what he says. I remember it has to do with the range if the exhaust settings, there is only a 10hp diff from stage I to II but that's peak and not entire curve.

        I dyno'd the X5 yesterday and doing the 550ix later this morning.

        Interesting enough, I got every bit of what Dinan claims.

        Have a feeling it will start a mustang dyno vs dyno jet argument and ix vs rwd, but conservatively the numbers were there.

        12k miles on the X5 and 450 miles on the 550.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Droptopp Click here to enlarge
        I've emailed Scott at Dinan and will let you know what he says. I remember it has to do with the range if the exhaust settings, there is only a 10hp diff from stage I to II but that's peak and not entire curve.
        What did he say?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Droptopp Click here to enlarge
        I dyno'd the X5 yesterday and doing the 550ix later this morning.
        Where are the graphs and results? @Droptopp