• Dinan Stage 3 F10 550i (N63 twin turbo V8) tune hits 411 horsepower to the rear wheels

      Tuning for the new N63 twin turbo V8 has been a bit hard to come by from sources other than Dinan. Unlike the S63 in the X5M and X6M, it seems the N63 has been harder for tuners to crack. Not Dinan however who has updated their offering to a Stage 3 tune. Dinan does not publish dyno numbers with their products (which we definitely do not like) so we want to thank BimmerBoost member alextremo for taking the time to dyno his rear wheel drive and manual 550i on a dynojet with just the tune only.

      Unfortunately we do not have the dyno numbers for when alextremo had just the Stage 2 Dinan tune but he did run 12.9@112.9 in the 1/4 mile with it. We are hoping he hits the dragstrip with the Dinan Stage 3 on his car to see if there is a noticeable difference. This tune combined with downpipes and an exhaust should also be capable of a bit more power. The Dinan Stage 3 tune retails for $3,699.00.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Dinan Stage 3 Tune w/o Exhaust started by alextremo View original post
      Comments 32 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Do you have any dynos to compare the Stage 2 to Stage 3?
      1. alextremo's Avatar
        alextremo -
        No, have not been back to the dyno since stage 1 was installed. Can't find a convenient dyno jet nearby. I am going to try to make it back out to the track soon though.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
        No, have not been back to the dyno since stage 1 was installed. Can't find a convenient dyno jet nearby. I am going to try to make it back out to the track soon though.
        With a dyno you would know if it was in your head or not...
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        no local dyno? what city are you in?
      1. alextremo's Avatar
        alextremo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        no local dyno? what city are you in?
        Im just south of Boston. Theres a dyno dynamics local to me, but I was hoping to get to a dynojet.

        There was one recommended to me on this site, but when I called they said they could only do it between 5:30-6, or on Saturdays (if they were there) because the guys in the shop didn't like the noise or the smell Click here to enlarge
      1. alextremo's Avatar
        alextremo -
        Also, I did check the dynojet website but some of those places look shady. Would really like a recommendation from someone who's used a shop before I go with my car...
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
        Also, I did check the dynojet website but some of those places look shady. Would really like a recommendation from someone who's used a shop before I go with my car...
        Not sure if local, but this place looks pretty legit:
        http://www.acsracing.com/services.html

        smaller, but decent import customer base:
        http://www.nedyno.com/

        site is a bit lacking, but capabilities lend to believe they know what they are doing:
        http://www.radautomachine.com/Shop_Services.html

        again, not sure how close to you any of these are
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
        There was one recommended to me on this site, but when I called they said they could only do it between 5:30-6, or on Saturdays (if they were there) because the guys in the shop didn't like the noise or the smell
        That's pretty weird, why are they working in a shop then?
      1. alextremo's Avatar
        alextremo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        Not sure if local, but this place looks pretty legit:
        http://www.acsracing.com/services.html

        smaller, but decent import customer base:
        http://www.nedyno.com/

        site is a bit lacking, but capabilities lend to believe they know what they are doing:
        http://www.radautomachine.com/Shop_Services.html

        again, not sure how close to you any of these are
        Thanks man - not sure how I missed ACS Racing - they are ~40mins from me and I have an appt Saturday morning.
      1. alextremo's Avatar
        alextremo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That's pretty weird, why are they working in a shop then?
        lol - no idea, but didn't fill me with confidence to let them dyno my car...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
        lol - no idea, but didn't fill me with confidence to let them dyno my car...
        It wouldn't fill me in confidence either. Sounds more like a library than a car shop.
      1. alextremo's Avatar
        alextremo -
        Dyno of Stage 3. I don't have Stage 2, and Stage 1 was done on a different dyno, so nothing to really compare it to. If I decide to go back to Stage 2 I will have another dyno done.

        Pretty curves anyway, but I was hoping the peak would be a bit higher.

        Attachment 17993
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        411 is ok, I would have expected a little more as well.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
        Dyno of Stage 3. I don't have Stage 2, and Stage 1 was done on a different dyno, so nothing to really compare it to. If I decide to go back to Stage 2 I will have another dyno done.

        Pretty curves anyway, but I was hoping the peak would be a bit higher.

        Attachment 17993
        Whose car is that by the way and where did you find the dyno? Any idea what fuel?
      1. alextremo's Avatar
        alextremo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Whose car is that by the way and where did you find the dyno? Any idea what fuel?
        My car - Shell 93. I went to ACS Racing as suggested above. Old school, small shop but they knew their stuff and were good guys.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
        My car - Shell 93. I went to ACS Racing as suggested above. Old school, small shop but they knew their stuff and were good guys.
        Awesome, any other details I need to know? Going to post this on the front page.
      1. alextremo's Avatar
        alextremo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Awesome, any other details I need to know? Going to post this on the front page.
        Only that it was pretty consistent with my Stage 1 numbers on a different dyno (dyno dynamics) http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ing-Dinan-Dyno

        And that the CF was .98, so not much change from the uncorrected numbers.
      1. forgedwheels's Avatar
        forgedwheels -
        cool stuff
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Tuning for the new N63 twin turbo V8 has been a bit hard to come by from sources other than Dinan. Unlike the S63 in the X5M and X6M, it seems the N63 has been harder for tuners to crack. Not Dinan however who has updated their offering to a Stage 3 tune. Dinan does not publish dyno numbers with their products (which we definitely do not like) so we want to thank BimmerBoost member alextremo for taking the time to dyno his rear wheel drive and manual 550i on a dynojet with just the tune only.

        Unfortunately we do not have the dyno numbers for when alextremo had just the Stage 2 Dinan tune but he did run 12.9@112.9 in the 1/4 mile with it. We are hoping he hits the dragstrip with the Dinan Stage 3 on his car to see if there is a noticeable difference. This tune combined with downpipes and an exhaust should also be capable of a bit more power. The Dinan Stage 3 tune retails for $3,699.00.

      1. NHDINANSTAGE3's Avatar
        NHDINANSTAGE3 -
        Assuming you are getting 20-25% drivetrain loss those numbers seem about on par. I'm having my car DYNO'd on the 7th, just to check a few things out. One thing I've figure out is that if your running the car for the best 1/4 mile you need to shift it seems right around 5500 RPM. Based on your Dyno run above that seems right. You may get better numbers using the paddle shifter if you have the sport transmission. Have you looked into the AR Downpipes?