Close

    • Yet another BMW loss? Motortrend picks the B8 Audi S4 over the F30 BMW 335i

      This is becoming a disturbing pattern although it sure is looking good for Audi. Just earlier this month Car and Driver picked the S6 over the new M5. Insideline also gave a scathing review of the new 640i GranCoupe. Now MotorTrend joins the fray picking the Audi S4 over the new 335i. The Audi significantly outperforms the 335i running 12's in the 1/4 mile stock with a 12.9@108.7. The 335i runs a 13.5@103.9. When is the last time BMW's direct competitor for an Audi model lagged this far behind? We all grew accustomed over the past couple decades to it being the reverse.

      It is not just the acceleration that is the issue, the braking performance of the BMW is very poor in comparison to the S4. 131 feet versus 108 to stop from 60? That is a rather large difference.

      Handling performance also was in the S4's favor pulling .91g's and a 25.6 seconds around their figure 8. The 335i took 26.7 seconds around the figure 8 managing .86g's. The all seasons no doubt hurt it a bit but this does not change the fact the Audi crushed it here by over a second.

      It isn't even the performance necessarily but the steering is muted on the 3 Series, it is more expensive than the Audi, gets worse fuel economy, and the electronics get in the way. MotorTrend says this is odd and to us it is almost like the twilight zone.

      BMW is falling off whether fans want to admit it or not. The new 328i raised the bar on the low end but in the mid-range of the lineup BMW is not innovating in the way they did when the 335i was first introduced. Perhaps the way to look at it is simply that Audi is getting much better. We wish BMW would get out of their slump already since changing over to the turbo motors. Clearly some of the magic is gone. The question is, will they get it back?



      This article was originally published in forum thread: Yet another BMW loss? Motortrend picks the B8 Audi S4 over the F30 BMW 335i started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 85 Comments
      1. whoosh's Avatar
        whoosh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
        All seasons?!? WTF?
        This. All of the numbers are suspect since they tested the cars with different class rubber. It can be argued that BMW shouldn't put all season tires on a RWD 335, but the fact is that the differences in tire in this comparo can certainly be the cause for the differences in skidpad and braking numbers. The Audi will still likely win at the strip due to AWD, but certainly the 335 would fare better there with better tires as well.
      1. whoosh's Avatar
        whoosh -
        Go to the video at 3:07 for the braking test. The tires on the Audi don't even make a sound - the tires on the 335 squeal all the way down to the stop.
      1. DD GT3 RD's Avatar
        DD GT3 RD -
        they should compare the e90 335 to the f30 335
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
        they should compare the e90 335 to the f30 335
        That would be an interesting read.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
        they should compare the e90 335 to the f30 335
        They did a 328 to 328 comparison, read: http://bimmerboost.com/content.php?2...ix-cylinder-di
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        I'm a little glad BMW is getting slammed, maybe they will wake up and realize that SOME of their cars should focus on efficiency and being green while others need to have their performance credentials left in tact. The type of buyer who passes on the 328i and goes for bigger engine is obviously not interested in a tiny fraction of a mile per gallon, so why would they want all season tires and electronic power steering? It's not just about numbers in a magazine, it's readily apparent when you drive a car that has been hamstrung by all season runflat tires and electronic power steering. It's a sad reality that whenever I consider a BMW these days, I have to factor in the cost of new tires, set aside time to remove the clutch delay valve, etc.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        They did a 328 to 328 comparison, read: http://bimmerboost.com/content.php?2...ix-cylinder-di
        More interested in a e90 n55 vs f30 n55. Basically a comparison of the chassis dynamics.
      1. dreikraft's Avatar
        dreikraft -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
        This vid is bull$#@! - the S4 has summer tires and the 335 has all-seasons. Any comparison having to do with performance is moot.
        why are they comparing the s4 to the 335? shouldn't it be the s4 vs the m3?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
        why are they comparing the s4 to the 335? shouldn't it be the s4 vs the m3?
        Not since the b5 and the e36.
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        BMW... needs a wake up call badly
      1. Autobahn335i's Avatar
        Autobahn335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
        why are they comparing the s4 to the 335? shouldn't it be the s4 vs the m3?
        Stock E9x 335i beats the S4/S5 in all reviews. Even the RS5 was not that far out of reach and got easily taken down by the M3, despite higher HP (450 for the RS5).

        Reviewers from sports cars magazines often criticized the steering feel of the S5/RS5 (numb, too light, no road feedback). Did BMW hire Audi engineers to develop the F30??
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
        Stock E9x 335i beats the S4/S5 in all reviews. Even the RS5 was not that far out of reach and got easily taken down by the M3, despite higher HP (450 for the RS5).
        Not really.
        http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
        These two cars aren't comparable though, S4's rival is the upcoming M335i or whatever it is.
      1. 654's Avatar
        654 -
        If one is runnong all-seasons, they should do half of the tests in snow for it to be even remotely fair.Is BMW offering all seasons with the cars as std equipment? I cannot believe it. In my country they wouldn't even think of anything like that. Those are plain dangerous. The stopping distance is affected bythe tires almost entirely. Anyone can see that if the wall waswhere Summer tires stopped, all seasons just crashed to it hard.
      1. Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
        Puerto Rican 335d -
        Im Glad i have a DIESEL but I am a bit surprised, true be it I recall a gentleman once told me when i told him I was buying a BMW, He stated "I used to own Bimmers until I ran into the QUATTRO, they drive better and perform better than BMW, think twice before you buy" Well I test drove the DIESEL and make no mistake one year old and 15k later Im still SMILING with my bimmer!!!
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
        If one is runnong all-seasons, they should do half of the tests in snow for it to be even remotely fair.Is BMW offering all seasons with the cars as std equipment? I cannot believe it. In my country they wouldn't even think of anything like that. Those are plain dangerous. The stopping distance is affected bythe tires almost entirely. Anyone can see that if the wall waswhere Summer tires stopped, all seasons just crashed to it hard.
        Ya, they suck. They don't give you the grip that summer tires have on dry surfaces, and also they don't work on wet like winter tires. Worst of both worlds. They are just good for lazy people.
      1. cisi's Avatar
        cisi -
        i dont think the tester put on the all season tires. So if bmw is so stupid to deliver a test car with all season tires.... well then they deserve the bad outgoing of this comparison. Probably they have better things to do at the moment.
        at least this test gives me reasons to keep my 335d.

        I liked the new 3 series when it came out, but after some times it already feels boring (optically) for me. While the E9X LCI/FL still looks very good, kind of a timeless design.
        I like my E91 always more and more and i miss nothing ... well, maybe the 8 speed automatic transmission but thats really the only thing.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cisi Click here to enlarge
        i dont think the tester put on the all season tires. So if bmw is so stupid to deliver a test car with all season tires.... well then they deserve the bad outgoing of this comparison. Probably they have better things to do at the moment.
        at least this test gives me reasons to keep my 335d.

        I liked the new 3 series when it came out, but after some times it already feels boring (optically) for me. While the E9X LCI/FL still looks very good, kind of a timeless design.
        I like my E91 always more and more and i miss nothing ... well, maybe the 8 speed automatic transmission but thats really the only thing.
        Exactly BMW deserves the blame for how they outfit their car.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        Not really.
        http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
        These two cars aren't comparable though, S4's rival is the upcoming M335i or whatever it is.
        No these two are direct rivals.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No these two are direct rivals.
        Nope, they are not. S4 was a model above A4 3.2 which was the direct rival of 3-series top model. Now that the 3.2 is gone, and they have no direct rival for 335i, C350, G37 etc...

        Same is true for S6. Is it direct rival for 550i, E550 and M56? No, it used to be the A6 4.2 which is gone too.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        ope, they are not. S4 was a model above A4 3.2 which was the direct rival of 3-series top model. Now that the 3.2 is gone, and they have no direct rival for 335i, C350, G37 etc...
        Uh, yes, they are.

        The only time the S4 was an M3 rival was back with the B5 as already stated. The Audi S4 is the 335i competition. If you don't get it, you don't get it.