• Insideline reviews the 2013 BMW 640i Gran Coupe and states it has no heart, poor performance, and is no fun to drive

      What is happening with these new BMW models? Just recently we saw the M5 finish last in a comparison test and now the 640i is getting poor reviews. This is a bit of disturbing trend for the direction in which BMW is heading. The Gran Coupe is a beautiful car but since when are BMW's more about exterior style than substance? This is supposed to be the Ultimate Driving Machine after all.

      With an N55 turbo inline-6 the car should perform fairly well. However, track test results show the car running 14.2@95 in the 1/4 mile. E46 330i's with the ZHP package were capable of this type of performance without a turbo and with far less power. For a car that costs $103,245 the performance is rather lackluster. Additionally, the throttle response was stated to be lazy meaning a traditional BMW strong point is gone.

      Insideline states the N55 works much better in the 3 and is simply adequate in the 5 Series. The 4292 pound curb weight of the Gran Coupe certainly is not helping it.


      Ok, so BMW's are not all about straightline performance. What about the handling? Insideline states the Active Steering complicates the handling and steering of the vehicle. Uh oh, BMW electronics again are compromising driver involvement and feedback. They go so far as stating the brake pedal is the only real direct line of driver communication with the car as all the rest are clogged with the technology/electronics. The car apparently is simply no fun to drive:

      Quote Originally Posted by Insideline
      "Every cone was its own event, requiring constant adjustments on my part," says Chief Road Test Editor Chris Walton. Translation: not fun.
      We will simply leave you with how Insideline summed up this car. It sure is sad to see BMW losing the aspects that once made its cars Ultimate Driving Machines:

      Bottom Line:
      This is the best-looking BMW in years. On the road, though, the 640i Gran Coupe is all brains and no heart, with overbearing electronics and so-so engine performance.
      Track Test Results
      Acceleration, 0-30 mph (sec.) 2.1
      0-45 mph (sec.) 3.6
      0-60 mph (sec.) 5.7
      0-60 with 1 foot of rollout (sec.) 5.4
      0-75 mph (sec.) 8.6
      1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 14.2 @ 95.0
      This article was originally published in forum thread: Insideline reviews the 2013 BMW 640i Gran Coupe and states it has no heart, poor performance, and is no fun to drive started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 23 Comments
      1. G0TB00ST?'s Avatar
        G0TB00ST? -
        Why in the world would they put the n55 in that car?! That car is a whale and like the review said its a good engine for a 3 series not a 6 series especially not a gran coupe. This thing NEEDS a v8! I've never liked the gran coupe it's so stupid (but not as stupid as a 4 series/ m4)IMHO. A coupe is a 2 door end of story, and this is a sedan. The only sedans BMW should make are 3,5 and 7 series. I'm done ranting now...
      1. onurleft's Avatar
        onurleft -
        103k is just too much money. That is a very very nice vehicle, but 103k better get me something more than 14.2@95. It would makes sense if it were 80-90k loaded
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onurleft Click here to enlarge
        103k is just too much money. That is a very very nice vehicle, but 103k better get me something more than 14.2@95. It would makes sense if it were 80-90k loaded
        BMW's 6 series pricing in general is idiotic.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
        Why in the world would they put the n55 in that car?! That car is a whale and like the review said its a good engine for a 3 series not a 6 series especially not a gran coupe. This thing NEEDS a v8! I've never liked the gran coupe it's so stupid (but not as stupid as a 4 series/ m4)IMHO. A coupe is a 2 door end of story, and this is a sedan. The only sedans BMW should make are 3,5 and 7 series. I'm done ranting now...
        They pretty much did a 6 cylinder to try to make it cheaper but the thing is still super expensive
      1. Q4P's Avatar
        Q4P -
        640i should have been left for Euro market solely, this is embarrasing and a tall tale sign of where the company is headed.
      1. leo985i's Avatar
        leo985i -
        This car is very pathetic. Only an ignorant fool would buy this.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        BMW is going to fall down so hard. Mark my word. It's good though, they need a shock.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        BMW's 6 series pricing in general is idiotic.
        +1
      1. onurleft's Avatar
        onurleft -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        BMW's 6 series pricing in general is idiotic.
        But then again, so is Panamera V6 pricing and numerous Mercedes models.
      1. whoosh's Avatar
        whoosh -
        For years GM tried to be BMW (at least Pontiac did), and now BMW tries to be GM by making a 5 series and calling it a 6. And 4,200 lbs... If I wanted a lead sled, I'd buy a Mercedes. Period. And that's not meant as a knock on Mercedes... just that when you think "large German luxury car", the Silver Arrows are always at the top of the list.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
        For years GM tried to be BMW (at least Pontiac did), and now BMW tries to be GM by making a 5 series and calling it a 6. And 4,200 lbs... If I wanted a lead sled, I'd buy a Mercedes. Period. And that's not meant as a knock on Mercedes... just that when you think "large German luxury car", the Silver Arrows are always at the top of the list.
        Well now the BMW's are becoming the heaviest.
      1. Scourge82's Avatar
        Scourge82 -
        BMW has sold their soul to the Devil for money. I doubt this will hurt their sales. People that will by this car could car less about performance and would want it for status. Most people that can afford this car and want a performance car will most likely buy a Porsche GT3. What really ticks me is this

        http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/09/f...is-motor-show/

        FWD drive is coming soon...
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        someone needs to fire whoever and everyone who is approving these piece of $#@!s.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scourge82 Click here to enlarge
        BMW has sold their soul to the Devil for money. I doubt this will hurt their sales. People that will by this car could car less about performance and would want it for status. Most people that can afford this car and want a performance car will most likely buy a Porsche GT3. What really ticks me is this

        http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/09/f...is-motor-show/

        FWD drive is coming soon...
        Ugh I still can't believe it.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
        someone needs to fire whoever and everyone who is approving these piece of $#@!s.
        The CEO of course. Norbert something. Hitler's grandson.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scourge82 Click here to enlarge
        BMW has sold their soul to the Devil for money. I doubt this will hurt their sales. People that will by this car could car less about performance and would want it for status. Most people that can afford this car and want a performance car will most likely buy a Porsche GT3.
        The same people that are buying this car for status, are the same people that would take the less expensive V8TT CLS just because it has the giant Benz emblem on the front. Even the Panamera msrp is cheaper. BMW doesn't havd the same level of status, in the average car shoppers eye.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onurleft Click here to enlarge
        But then again, so is Panamera V6 pricing and numerous Mercedes models.
        The Panamera V6 msrp is actually just a tick cheaper than the 640i. The Panamera is such a better car too. The 640i is an epic waste of money. One of the most overpriced cars in a long time. You can get a CLS550 with the Designo interior and still be cheaper than a 640i. Also have a 400+hp twin turbo V8 and a f*cking gorgeous car. The 6er Gran Coupe can now join the slow sales of the new 6er.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Posts on the 335 versus S4 moved here: http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...877#post294877
      1. wael's Avatar
        wael -
        everyone that says BMW new style sucks means they suck **** because the brand new one looks so *******cooler than the old ones
      1. wael's Avatar
        wael -
        u idiot u have the 760li and BMW is not trying to copy GM. GM is always trying to buy BMW so the can get there body style i now because my friends dad works there and always says that they r trying to buy BMW. BMW can own Mercedes any time and any where