• JAWS Motorsport's E60 M5 hits 518 horsepower to the wheels and 8600 RPM on the S85 V10 with their Alpha-N tune

      Impressive naturally aspirated and stock internal work here on the S85 V10 by BimmerBoost vendor JAWS Motorsport. The car put down a baseline of 448 wheel horsepower on a DynoMite dyno with just intake scoops. From that baseline JAWS was able to hit 518 wheel horsepower with addition of their one piece plenum, Alpha-N tune with 8600 RPM limiter, and secondary cat delete. That is a gain of 70 horsepower at the wheels.

      Keep in mind that this was done on pump fuel with the stock exhaust (other than secondary cat delete) and stock headers. Is there more to be gained here? Absolutely and we expect an update as JAWS revises their tune with their headers that are being finished up. We have no idea how much more they will hit but the results so far are definitely impressive and this is one of the strongest naturally aspirated S85's we have seen. Pictures, graphs, and video below.






      Baseline:


      Video:

      This article was originally published in forum thread: JAWS Motorsport M5 E60 Makes 518WHP started by JAWS Motorsport View original post
      Comments 49 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
        That car sounds amazing. The power curve is even more amazing, and is what a power curve should look like. The S85 when tuned (or not) is simply an awesome engine.
        Keep in mind this is an Alpha-n tune, it better look good.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Isn't S65 using a lame version of Alpha-N with MAP sensor?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        Isn't S65 using a lame version of Alpha-N with MAP sensor?
        It has a map but I wouldn't call it lame.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It has a map but I wouldn't call it lame.
        The MAP ruins everything. That's why we don't see 70whp gains in S65 even with the most aggressive tunes. Time to have a real Alpha-N for S65.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        The MAP ruins everything. That's why we don't see 70whp gains in S65 even with the most aggressive tunes. Time to have a real Alpha-N for S65.
        The gains for a 100 hp per liter motor are pretty good.
      1. onurleft's Avatar
        onurleft -
        race teams have run mostly stock S65's with standalone map based tunes and gotten well over 400whp, so expect something to follow for our street cars and OEM units eventually (like my car)
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Thats a nice looking plenum
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The gains for a 100 hp per liter motor are pretty good.
        Still not as good as S85. What bothers me is that BMW took S85 design and made it better with S65. Much better headers, exhaust, tune but after all, the 100hp/liter ratio only raised to 103.5hp/liter!
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onurleft Click here to enlarge
        race teams have run mostly stock S65's with standalone map based tunes and gotten well over 400whp, so expect something to follow for our street cars and OEM units eventually (like my car)
        Your car is very sick man. Did you use stock DME or went fully standalone?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        Still not as good as S85. What bothers me is that BMW took S85 design and made it better with S65. Much better headers, exhaust, tune but after all, the 100hp/liter ratio only raised to 103.5hp/liter! Your car is very sick man. Did you use stock DME or went fully standalone?
        The hp per liter and torque per liter numbers don't point to it being all that much better. Wasn't the s85 dry sump too? All they really improved were the headers which they needed to due to the displacement loss and they improved the knock detection.
      1. Sonny's Avatar
        Sonny -
        Great results.

        What is the accepted drive train loss on this platform. Does this car have the smg gearbox?
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
        What is the accepted drive train loss on this platform. Does this car have the smg gearbox?
        Mostly %17-18 on DJ. The car does have SMG gearbox like all the other non-US E60 M5's. Click here to enlarge
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The hp per liter and torque per liter numbers don't point to it being all that much better.
        Exactly my words. Look at S85, with SS headers you gain 50hp. But on S65, SS said it's close to zero. Only M24 claimed a 20hp gain which isn't proven yet. So it means the difference between S65 and S85 should be bigger than 3.5hp more per liter, but it isn't...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
        Great results.

        What is the accepted drive train loss on this platform. Does this car have the smg gearbox?
        Figure it is an SMG considering the 6-speed was USA only (heh, how about that?) and stock they are in the 420's on dynojet's from what I have seen but that is with charcoals in place and no scoops.
      1. Sonny's Avatar
        Sonny -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        Mostly %17-18 on DJ. The car does have SMG gearbox like all the other non-US E60 M5's. Click here to enlarge
        Thank you. Click here to enlarge
      1. Sonny's Avatar
        Sonny -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Figure it is an SMG considering the 6-speed was USA only (heh, how about that?) and stock they are in the 420's on dynojet's from what I have seen but that is with charcoals in place and no scoops.
        Thanks. Strong car. I wonder if the s85's already impressive top end gets even better with this setup. Seems likely.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
        Thanks. Strong car. I wonder if the s85's already impressive top end gets even better with this setup. Seems likely.
        Definitely will be stronger up top.
      1. flipm3's Avatar
        flipm3 -
        Nice! I freaking love the S85B50....
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        WHats the price on the airbox alone?
      1. JAWS Motorsport's Avatar
        JAWS Motorsport -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
        WHats the price on the airbox alone?
        We have said approx $4k , but we need to sit down and do a real overlook, its many hours of work on it, and it seems like many want it now so interested better send us an email and put theire name on the que.
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JAWS Motorsport Click here to enlarge
        We have said approx $4k , but we need to sit down and do a real overlook, its many hours of work on it, and it seems like many want it now so interested better send us an email and put theire name on the que.
        Ok Thanks but too over priced for me. Good work though.
      1. JAWS Motorsport's Avatar
        JAWS Motorsport -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
        Ok Thanks but too over priced for me. Good work though.
        Tnx, i belive we are so cheap on the coming headers so we need to earn money somewere on all hard work we put down in our products! Click here to enlarge