Close

    • Controversy: Is the SLS AMG faster than the 458 Italia stock for stock?

      A debate has been raging on the BenzBoost forums and we decided it was finally time to put together information on these two cars to help sort out the video below. There are three races and the SLS gets the jump in the first two. In the first race the SLS is lined up ahead and gets on the gas first pulling. In the second video a mix-up in the honks has the SLS jump again leading the 458 to have to run it down which it can not. The third race is the cleanest with the SLS still pulling away and rather quickly.


      Now, this has led to people from each side yelling and screaming at each other. Here is what we know, the SLS dyno's more on a dynojet stock. There are variables involved of course but based on the graphs we have thus far the 458 baselines around 450 wheel and the SLS around 488 wheel. Advantage, SLS.

      458:

      SLS:


      So power favors the SLS but what about the weight? Well, Road and Track weighed the 458 Italia at 3490 pounds. The SLS AMG comes in at 3795 pounds. 300 pounds in favor of the 458 Italia although this is mitigated more from a roll than from a stop.

      This may help explain why the 458 Italia gets a better elapsed time in the 1/4 mile versus the SLS stock for stock. It's rear engine launch is also a large factor helping it get off the line better. Going back to Road and Track, the numbers are 11.0@128.5 versus 11.6@124.3 for the Italia and SLS respectively. 0-120 numbers favor the Italia by 1.2 second stock for stock, not a small difference.

      Shift speed has been stated to favor the 458 with the SLS at 100ms to its 40ms. This disparity seems too large for the same technology from the same supplier, Getrag. As a matter of fact, they are basically the same unit. So is there really that large of a disparity here? We don't think so.

      So how do you explain the outcome of the video? The only explanation is that the SLS is not stock. Logically, this is the only conclusion one can reach to explain how the SLS leaves the 458 the way it does. The weight is not as large of a factor once the cars are moving but even so we should see the 458 slowly pull not the SLS jumping out and destroying the 458. A stock SLS simply is not capable of it based on the data presented here. The stock claims are likely misleading and for SLS owners to boast. This is why we prefer track numbers for support but even without them a video can still be broken down. If we are incorrect, someone do this same race with two stock cars and prove us wrong. One thing is certain, both are fast cars and examples of some of the best vehicles available today.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: SLS AMG vs Ferrari 458 started by Jacob502 View original post
      Comments 192 Comments
      1. inlineS54B32's Avatar
        inlineS54B32 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jacob502 Click here to enlarge
        I can now see why are not respected by many in this forum!
        You negative rep me for quoting some physics. Thanks. This is why you will never be respected - and not just in a forum.

        On another note, just so you both are happy - the SLS is faster than everything. No Ferrari can touch it, but all diesel's can - especially freight trains.
      1. inlineS54B32's Avatar
        inlineS54B32 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
        oh really?

        Then how do you explain this article ? http://www.benzboost.com/content.php...-tuned-Ford-GT

        The Ford GT is more than 500 pounds lighter than the CLS63, how was the CLS63 keeping up side by side?

        Either what you said above is correct or this whole article is false
        It can be explained with the fact that one car can have a higher PEAK horsepower, but still have a LOWER AVERAGE (total area underneath the power curve) than the other car. I haven't looked or read the article, but am hoping this makes some sense.

        Read the last paragraph/section (area under the curve) - it does a decent job summing it up: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...e/viewall.html
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
        It can be explained with the fact that one car can have a higher PEAK horsepower, but still have a LOWER AVERAGE (total area underneath the power curve) than the other car. I haven't looked or read the article, but am hoping this makes some sense.

        Read the last paragraph/section (area under the curve) - it does a decent job summing it up: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...e/viewall.html
        yes but still the Ford GT will always have a higher power to weight ratio since it is lighter than the CLS63 by 500-600 pounds
      1. Jacob502's Avatar
        Jacob502 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
        You negative rep me for quoting some physics. Thanks. This is why you will never be respected - and not just in a forum.

        On another note, just so you both are happy - the SLS is faster than everything. No Ferrari can touch it, but all diesel's can - especially freight trains.

        I never negative repped you. I dont even have 100 rep points to do so!
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
        You negative rep me for quoting some physics. Thanks. This is why you will never be respected - and not just in a forum.

        On another note, just so you both are happy - the SLS is faster than everything. No Ferrari can touch it, but all diesel's can - especially freight trains.
        A member with less than 100 posts can not give negative or positive reps
      1. inlineS54B32's Avatar
        inlineS54B32 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
        A member with less than 100 posts can not give negative or positive reps
        Not you - it was Jacob502. You can see who gives who negative and positve rep - it's not a mystery.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jacob502 Click here to enlarge
        I can now see why are not respected by many in this forum!
        LZH can be a little though to handle on some occasions, but non of those occasions are technical info discussing. What he and inlineS54 say is absolutely right. HP is what that wins races. If not then trucks would ripping off normal cars since they have better torque/weight ratio. But they can't, because they lack power. Click here to enlarge
      1. Jacob502's Avatar
        Jacob502 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
        Not you - it was Jacob502. You can see who gives who negative and positve rep - it's not a mystery.
        Sir,

        I did not give you any rep. I have less than 100 posts and less than 100 rep points. SLS AMG was only trying to explain this to you. The negative rep that you got couldn't be from me
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        No one is going to prove any physical phenomena by showing a video of two very different manmade machines racing eachother. The are geared different, have different aerodynamics, rolling resistances, powerbands, shift times, weights, average powers list goes on forever.

        Torque does not take time into account. If torque won races, then semi trailers would be raping corvettes and M3s.

        Average horsepower and gearing wins races. Torque is created by the engine at different speeds, if the car is geared just right, it can take advantage of the highest average horsepower available when shifting.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Read the rules: http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...1516#post51516
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jacob502 Click here to enlarge
        I can now see why are not respected by many in this forum!
        It's not my problem that you are too dense to recognize the truth.
      1. Jacob502's Avatar
        Jacob502 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        It's not my problem that you are too dense to recognize the truth.
        The truth is that an SLS kills a Ferrari 458. How is it done? I'll leave the technical part for you since you seem to be the Engineer around here.
      1. I am Jeff's Avatar
        I am Jeff -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
        It's torque that wins races
        Woohoo!! With that assumption, my Kenworth W900L with a Caterpillar C15 engine and it's 1800 pounds of torque beats your SLS!

        Click here to enlarge lolz....Click here to enlarge
      1. inlineS54B32's Avatar
      1. inlineS54B32's Avatar
        inlineS54B32 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jacob502 Click here to enlarge
        Sir,

        I did not give you any rep. I have less than 100 posts and less than 100 rep points. SLS AMG was only trying to explain this to you. The negative rep that you got couldn't be from me
        Sir, see post above. You are unbelievable.
      1. inlineS54B32's Avatar
        inlineS54B32 -
        Wow - doing a little research, it's remarkable how much faster/better the 458 is...

        458 Italia Vs SLS AMG
        Top Speed
        458: 327.8 Kph
        SLS: 314.9 Kph
        ACC Kph:
        458:
        0-100 3.27s
        0-160 6.5s
        0-200 9.69s
        0-250 16.0s
        1/4 mile 11.0s @ 212.8 Kph
        1 Km 19.8s @ 269.8 Kph
        SLS:
        0-100 3.96s
        0-160 7.7s
        0-200 11.5s
        0-250 19.3s
        1/4 mile 11.8s @ 202.2 Kph
        1 Km 21.0s @ 257.5 Kph
        BRAKES (cold):
        458:
        100-0 36.9m
        200-0 134.8m (-1.17g)
        SLS:
        100-0 39.8m
        200-0 143.0m (-1.10g)
        Vairano handling
        458: 1.15:146 (new record) Michelin Pilot Sport 3
        SLS: 1.17:065 (impressive)
        skipad
        458: 1.20g
        SLS: 1.13g
        Weight
        458: 1,533 Kg
        SlS: 1,701 Kg
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I am Jeff Click here to enlarge
        Woohoo!! With that assumption, my Kenworth W900L with a Caterpillar C15 engine and it's 1800 pounds of torque beats your SLS!

        Click here to enlarge lolz....Click here to enlarge
        We have a Volvo FH750 in our company. It makes 2600 lb-ft of torque. I think it's an overkill for a race against Veyron, but whatever... Click here to enlarge
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
        Wow - doing a little research, it's remarkable how much faster/better the 458 is...

        458 Italia Vs SLS AMG
        Top Speed
        458: 327.8 Kph
        SLS: 314.9 Kph
        ACC Kph:
        458:
        0-100 3.27s
        0-160 6.5s
        0-200 9.69s
        0-250 16.0s
        1/4 mile 11.0s @ 212.8 Kph
        1 Km 19.8s @ 269.8 Kph
        SLS:
        0-100 3.96s
        0-160 7.7s
        0-200 11.5s
        0-250 19.3s
        1/4 mile 11.8s @ 202.2 Kph
        1 Km 21.0s @ 257.5 Kph
        BRAKES (cold):
        458:
        100-0 36.9m
        200-0 134.8m (-1.17g)
        SLS:
        100-0 39.8m
        200-0 143.0m (-1.10g)
        Vairano handling
        458: 1.15:146 (new record) Michelin Pilot Sport 3
        SLS: 1.17:065 (impressive)
        skipad
        458: 1.20g
        SLS: 1.13g
        Weight
        458: 1,533 Kg
        SlS: 1,701 Kg
        oh no, How can it be possible? a SLS kills a 458 24/7. I think something fishy is going on here. Did Ferrari pay you to share such misinformation? Is Jeremy Clarkson a close friend of yours? Click here to enlarge
      1. Jacob502's Avatar
        Jacob502 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
        Same person who neg repped me... He claims he didn't - but is a common liar... "Torque wins races" - better yet "an SLS spanks 458s all day"

        Attachment 17519
        I'm not a liar, but you are an idiot.

        The image you showed us above is taken from your "setting" icon, which shows the rep that you have given and not recieved. That shows you giving me a negative rep on 11:18AM today 5-24-2012.
        For the last time, I cannot possibly rep you. I have less than 100 Rep points and less than 100 Posts. Can someone help me here and explain to this moron about the repping system.
      1. Jacob502's Avatar
        Jacob502 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        oh no, How can it be possible? a SLS kills a 458 24/7. I think something fishy is going on here. Did Ferrari pay you to share such misinformation? Is Jeremy Clarkson a close friend of yours? Click here to enlarge
        You said your in Abu-Dhabi. You also mentioned you have a 458. Do you have it with you in Abu-Dhabi?