• 2013 BMW F12 M6 spotted doing final testing with carbon ceramic brakes - End of M brake woes?

      Braking has always been a bit of a contentious subject with BMW M. If there was one consistent weak spot in M vehicles it would be the brakes. It is not that they did not perform well as much as that they were rapidly susceptible to fade. For M track junkies, the brakes were almost always the first place to look at upgrading. Well, that is until now. With the new ceramic brake option coming for the F12, as you can see in the photos below, the BMW M Achilles heel is likely gone for good. We just are scared to ask what BMW is going to price this option at.



































      This article was originally published in forum thread: 2013 BMW F12 M6 spotted doing final testing with carbon ceramic brakes - End of M brake woes? started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 39 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
        One guy that put them on a 1M paid $30K. What's the point when you are largely on to a new Porsche or M model?
        $30k is way too much for ceramics...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        Just read bmw officially made the ceramic brakes not available until 2013.
        I wonder why the long delay?
      1. M3GTtt's Avatar
        M3GTtt -
        Ceramic brakes .. well had them on my BMW M3 since 2007 Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
        Ceramic brakes .. well had them on my BMW M3 since 2007 Click here to enlarge
        From whom?
      1. M3GTtt's Avatar
        M3GTtt -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        From whom?
        Brembo, Bought them off a McLaren SLR and had them installed back in May 2007.

        370x38mm rotors and 8piston calipers.

        Looking at the M6 setup, BMW has opted for a 2piece single piston caliper in the back, even if it looks bad, its more than enough.

        BMW's are nose heavy when braking hard.. probably 80%+ is done by the front wheels.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
        Brembo, Bought them off a McLaren SLR and had them installed back in May 2007.
        I see, so wrecked SLR or something of that sort?
      1. M3GTtt's Avatar
        M3GTtt -
        Nope, McLaren had to replace some of the kits early on due to customer complaints of squeeky brakes and lack of feel.

        The lack of feel was not the brakes, it was the drive by wire braking system. I have driven the SLR and its a really bad system, but the brakes work very well on my car with the mechanical system. Btw, mine never squeeked Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Good to know but I still don't get how you got them.
      1. M3GTtt's Avatar
        M3GTtt -
        Got lucky on Ebay Click here to enlarge
      1. Q4P's Avatar
        Q4P -
        Saw this new M6 at a dealer today and its quite a looker. I have no idea how the dealer had one in so soon but it looked fantastic. I did not like the odd steering wheel however or the M6 badging in the kidneys, it looked quite cheap.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
        Saw this new M6 at a dealer today and its quite a looker. I have no idea how the dealer had one in so soon but it looked fantastic. I did not like the odd steering wheel however or the M6 badging in the kidneys, it looked quite cheap.
        You should have taken some pics.
      1. Q4P's Avatar
        Q4P -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You should have taken some pics.
        This was it...

        http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
      1. bluejeansonfire's Avatar
        bluejeansonfire -
        i can't believe that even when they go to fancy carbon rotors, still leave lever calipers in the rear... omg, bmw you did it more right in the 1 series nonM
      1. BuraQ's Avatar
        BuraQ -
        Drove the M6 vert last night at PBIR Road Course . Was fun, handling on corners was amazing. Two things I was disappointed in.


        • The DCT shifting was dull and not as sharp and cut slice as the M3/335iS DCT



        • Steering was too soft for an M car, the M3/335iS steering was much tighter and very easy to predict



        • was not impressed with the power delivery from a dig when compared to my 335iS


        Now what I was REALLY impressed with on the DCT, other than its handling, after coming to a complete stop, you can release the brake while the car is in drive (regardles of mode). The car does not move foward unless you press on the gas peddle. Wish I had this on my DCT.

        I got a GOPro vid driving and the handling will speak for itself as this was my first time ever being on a Road Course.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
        Drove the M6 vert last night at PBIR Road Course . Was fun, handling on corners was amazing. Two things I was disappointed in.


        • The DCT shifting was dull and not as sharp and cut slice as the M3/335iS DCT



        • Steering was too soft for an M car, the M3/335iS steering was much tighter and very easy to predict



        • was not impressed with the power delivery from a dig when compared to my 335iS


        Now what I was REALLY impressed with on the DCT, other than its handling, after coming to a complete stop, you can release the brake while the car is in drive (regardles of mode). The car does not move foward unless you press on the gas peddle. Wish I had this on my DCT.

        I got a GOPro vid driving and the handling will speak for itself as this was my first time ever being on a Road Course.
        Doesn't sound like you liked it.
      1. BuraQ's Avatar
        BuraQ -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Doesn't sound like you liked it.
        I loved the road course expereince. I only stopped after I exahusted myself after 12 laps broken down in 3 sessions.

        Now as for my experience with the M6, I liked the handling but didnt like the power delivery which wasnt what I expected out of a M car
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
        but didnt like the power delivery which wasnt what I expected out of a M car
        Hate to say I told you so but...
      1. BuraQ's Avatar
        BuraQ -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Hate to say I told you so but...
        LOL .............
      1. whoosh's Avatar
        whoosh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge

        Now as for my experience with the M6, I liked the handling but didnt like the power delivery which wasnt what I expected out of a M car
        This is a little different from what I would have expected, given that the new 6er weighs 2 tons. Certainly the engine won't be like a heritage M car due to the turbos, but I would have thought the handling would be the weakest link instead of the motor.