Close

    • Vishnu Tuning E92 335i with FFTEC N54 single turbo hardware + raised boost finally runs a 10 second 1/4 mile pass, underwhelming?

      Vishnu Tuning finally managed to eek out a 10 second pass in their single turbo E92 335i that they were once touting would be in the 9's. After multiple unsuccessful attempts (with driver errors) from Vishnu owner Shiv Pathak he was able to get a high 10 second slip by raising the boost according to his data log and shifting cleanly. Details are scarce as Vishnu did not provide information on the youtube video upload and there also is no exterior view to show the slip actually correlates to the run shown in the video.

      We will give the benefit of the doubt here but with all secrecy and the multiple attempts to get to this point the performance is simply underwhelming for the time and money investment. The car is said to have run 10.8@131. It recently was dyno'd at 627 wheel horsepower by Insideline so these horses are not translating well to the ground. This single turbo offers considerable lag and the top end pull for the sacrifice simply is not there especially compared to existing solutions such as the Rob Beck twin turbo upgrade which offers far greater spool and performance only a few miles per off through the traps but with far greater driveability.

      The previous record was 11.10@127.21 with 19 psi of boost on the RB turbos. These turbos are a much more affordable option that also currently is available. Vishnu claims 23.5 psi of boost for this 10.8@131 mph run. Is it worth the minor top end benefit for the estimated $8500+ plus install? We do not think so and considering the way Vishnu hyped this the results are very underwhelming. The low end torque sacrifice is not being justified with a large top end gain.

      We wish Vishnu luck in the future but for now this is still an experiment and work in progress that is tough to buy both figuratively and literally. There are more affordable options that work better for daily driven N54 vehicles that offer 97% of the performance in practice (as in not just a dyno queen) with less compromises. Not to mention for users to repeat what Vishnu has done here with their own single turbo it will likely be far more difficult as they will not have the option of risking their engine with higher boost and timing advances simply to try to eek out a tenth to squeeze past what already exists and get into the 10's. It may be a record, but it certainly is not impressive considering where the bar was already set with far less horsepower and much more affordable tuning and hardware options.







      This article was originally published in forum thread: Vishnu/FFTEC 10.822 1/4 mile RECORD! started by onesuperboi View original post
      Comments 682 Comments
      1. Sean@FFTEC's Avatar
        Sean@FFTEC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        right, i dont want him to break it, but just stating i realize there really is only 1 way to dispute it, and thats by going bigger.

        Think about it.. Not long ago, it was discovered that the DME only uses 33% (IIRC) of fuel, so piggy's are running off those tables/logic, yes?

        So, is it beyond possible that The lying, deceiving, false mod giving, Shiv, calibrated/scaled/calculated HIS s/w to those specs? To show 34% of total fuel when really its 100% of available piggyback fuel?

        Especially given the fact that 23.xx PSI has been KNOWN to be peak psi from stock Tmap..

        No one wonders why these 2 numbers are MAXED?
        Neither the MAP sensor or the fuel trims are closed to being maxed out. The MAP sensor will read up to ~35psi. Fuel trims will max out at 34%. With the current set up, we should have anothe fuel for around 750whp. Give or take.
      1. GeorgiaTech335Coupe's Avatar
        GeorgiaTech335Coupe -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
        So hypothetically speaking, with that amount of flow... how much would a standard 1 gallon tank last if you do quite a few wot pulls daily?

        Is there any way this would last a whole gas tank or now way?
        That's very difficult to say as there are so many variables. 1500 mL/min at a constant rate would deplete a 1 gallon tank in 2.52 minutes. But what does that mean in the real world? Hard to say. You only go WOT for not that long. This car did 60-130mph in 6.48 seconds, so I hardly ever see any time where you would go WOT for more than 7 seconds at a time. That would mean you could do around 21 or so 60-130 runs on a 1 gallon tank, given that the 1500 mL/min is the correct flow rate being used.
      1. GeorgiaTech335Coupe's Avatar
        GeorgiaTech335Coupe -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        if you need to me to explain the basics, i have other things i need to get done today, but i think you know what im getting at and just want to waste my time Click here to enlarge
        No, my mechanical engineering degree taught me the basics. I really just didn't understand what you were trying to say in your post and was hoping you would elaborate on it or reword it. And I'm being serious, not facetious. I really want to hear other people's counter arguments. It's always good to look at any engineering problem from different angles.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
        That's very difficult to say as there are so many variables. 1500 mL/min at a constant rate would deplete a 1 gallon tank in 2.52 minutes. But what does that mean in the real world? Hard to say. You only go WOT for not that long. This car did 60-130mph in 6.48 seconds, so I hardly ever see any time where you would go WOT for more than 7 seconds at a time. That would mean you could do around 21 or so 60-130 runs on a 1 gallon tank, given that the 1500 mL/min is the correct flow rate being used.

        i could think of LOTS of places a race car, street car would go faster for longer..

        http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...POCONO-RACEWAY
      1. Q4P's Avatar
        Q4P -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        i could think of LOTS of places a race car, street car would go faster for longer..

        http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...POCONO-RACEWAY
        well i was talking about a street application in dd only which this is being sold as but then again wo needs 650 whp in a dd? This will be a great kit for those who are willing to accept the tradeoffs and truly want to drag race...otherwise for the street guys, its somewhat stupid to have that much power ina rear wheel drive dd that wasn't designed for it. No one has seen a video of this car on true street tires and how it behaves.
      1. Jimefam's Avatar
        Jimefam -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
        Also, I know we have a BMW tax here but don't most turbo kits cost ~$3500? lol

        That seems to be a standard Evo type price but then again setting up just RBs is in that range.
        Heres a pretty comparable package made for a 6 cyl competitor of the 335. Seems about right to me but I have said before that I'm on a few different forums for different brands and am amazed how price sensitive BMW owners are for mods vs other brands(trying to be PC about it)

        http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...roductid=17253
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        those are street cars,
      1. Jimefam's Avatar
        Jimefam -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
        well i was talking about a street application in dd only which this is being sold as but then again wo needs 650 whp in a dd? This will be a great kit for those who are willing to accept the tradeoffs and truly want to drag race...otherwise for the street guys, its somewhat stupid to have that much power ina rear wheel drive dd that wasn't designed for it. No one has seen a video of this car on true street tires and how it behaves.
        Your assuming someone would drive around daily at full boost @wot on his DD but that is short sighted to me. I would love to have a car that I can DD@450whp or so and have the choice to make minor changes and run at 650whp+. I think the one size smaller turbo(which still can hit 650whp+ btw) with the billet compressor wheel would pick up 500rpm of spool and be a beast of a DD.
      1. Blaizon's Avatar
        Blaizon -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
        Heres a pretty comparable package made for a 6 cyl competitor of the 335. Seems about right to me but I have said before that I'm on a few different forums for different brands and am amazed how price sensitive BMW owners are for mods vs other brands(trying to be PC about it)

        http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...roductid=17253
        You can get better prices than advertised if you know what your doing. I know of someone who got the GTM stage 3 kit for an awesome price.
      1. Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
        Laguna Seca Blue -
        Hey Everyone, this is my first post. Please don't pounce on me, I come in peace. I don't know how things work around here, so I have a couple of questions:

        1. Is Sticky's lead article a news piece or an editorial?
        2. When I joined BB, I received a PM that said, "good to finally see you on here Laguna Seca Blue" and then continued to talk about the services BB provides. Does everyone get a message like that when they join?
        3. Is it ok to make personal character judgements on this site?
        4. I was told by several members on bimmerpost to join BB, because Terry had answered the question I posed there here. I have yet to be able to find it. Can someone please direct me to it?

        Thanks in advance for answering my questions!
      1. Jimefam's Avatar
        Jimefam -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
        You can get better prices than advertised if you know what your doing. I know of someone who got the GTM stage 3 kit for an awesome price.
        Well we're talking prices to joe blow I would imagine some of the people who have gotten this kit in testing are also getting some help but if I call up today to gtm that's the price they'll give me. Also keep in mind ROI, there's a hell of alot more possibility to sell a vq37 kit than a single turbo 335 kit. Btw if you got a hook up like that @gtm let me know I'm thinking of dropping some coin there somewhat soon.
      1. Jimefam's Avatar
        Jimefam -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue Click here to enlarge
        Hey Everyone, this is my first post. Please don't pounce on me, I come in peace. I don't know how things work around here, so I have a couple of questions:

        1. Is Sticky's lead article a news piece or an editorial?
        2. When I joined BB, I received a PM that said, "good to finally see you on here Laguna Seca Blue" and then continued to talk about the services BB provides. Does everyone get a message like that when they join?
        3. Is it ok to make personal character judgements on this site?
        4. I was told by several members on bimmerpost to join BB, because Terry had answered the question I posed there here. I have yet to be able to find it. Can someone please direct me to it?

        Thanks in advance for answering my questions!
        Whats the question?
      1. (-(ellblazer420's Avatar
        (-(ellblazer420 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
        well i was talking about a street application in dd only which this is being sold as but then again wo needs 650 whp in a dd? This will be a great kit for those who are willing to accept the tradeoffs and truly want to drag race...otherwise for the street guys, its somewhat stupid to have that much power ina rear wheel drive dd that wasn't designed for it. No one has seen a video of this car on true street tires and how it behaves.
        He has posted videos of him driving it on the back roads on street tires. I have also rode in it with street tires around town. It is still a lot of fun and it hooks up. It is not impossible to drive like you make it seem.

        The drag tires are for the heavy launches at th track. Plus as others stated you can have a more conservative tune on one map and than just switch on the fly to a different map. You are overly obsessed with AWD and the GTR. If you know how to drive RWD properly this setup can be 10 times more fun.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Sticky, there seems to be a typo in your article. The car has 725hp now. Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge
      1. bmw335iguy's Avatar
        bmw335iguy -
        Did he drive all the way down from norcal on slicks?
      1. Jimefam's Avatar
        Jimefam -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Sticky, there seems to be a typo in your article. The car has 725hp now. Click here to enlarge

        http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/...I/IMG_0849.jpg
        Lol that's marketing but if he put down 644whp then 725hp@flywheel doesn't seem like an exaggeration.
      1. GeorgiaTech335Coupe's Avatar
        GeorgiaTech335Coupe -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
        Lol that's marketing but if he put down 644whp then 725hp@flywheel doesn't seem like an exaggeration.
        I would think its crank HP. A lot of people that aren't enthusiast don't understand the difference between crank and whp. I know when I talk to people who more than likely don't understand, I give them the approx crank number. It's easier for people to make comparisons to other cars.
      1. Velocity26's Avatar
        Velocity26 -
        http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...roductid=17253

        The Turbo kit listed above ($7,995 list) includes:

        Exhaust manifolds
        Heat Shields
        Intercooler (up to 1,000 hp)
        Steering mods
        braided SS oil and water lines
        ball bearing water & Oil cooled turbos (2)
        CAI
        Tial BOV
        HKS/Tial wastegate & operator
        downpipes
        Upgraded injectors
        Walbro fuel pump
        EMS/Tune
        All couplers, piping, bolts, clamps & gaskets.

        There are a lot of parts included in this kit.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
        Lol that's marketing but if he put down 644whp then 725hp@flywheel doesn't seem like an exaggeration.
        I'm not saying its an exaggeration but it does play in to the overhyped narrative we have going here. Click here to enlarge Anyway I've always found "crank hp" marketing entertaining. I can't tell you how many customers ask why the Dinan tuning makes 384hp tune only but JB4 makes 340hp tune only. Then I send them a link to customer Dinan testing showing 310whp on a dynojet and they don't believe it. We were forced to start marketing the JB4 adds up to 100hp (80whp) just to clear up some of the confusion.
      1. GeorgiaTech335Coupe's Avatar
        GeorgiaTech335Coupe -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        I'm not saying its an exaggeration but it does play in to the overhyped narrative we have going here. Click here to enlarge Anyway I've always found "crank hp" marketing entertaining. I can't tell you how many customers ask why the Dinan tuning makes 384hp tune only but JB4 makes 340hp tune only. Then I send them a link to customer Dinan testing showing 310whp on a dynojet and they don't believe it. We were forced to start marketing the JB4 adds up to 100hp (80whp) just to clear up some of the confusion.
        Yeah it can be comical at times. I love how car manufacturers one up each other by a few peak hp and then market the crap that they have the highest hp car in that class, but make no mention of the hp curve or how they may have higher peak hp, but their car is actually slower than others.