Close

    • Vishnu Tuning E92 335i with FFTEC N54 single turbo hardware + raised boost finally runs a 10 second 1/4 mile pass, underwhelming?

      Vishnu Tuning finally managed to eek out a 10 second pass in their single turbo E92 335i that they were once touting would be in the 9's. After multiple unsuccessful attempts (with driver errors) from Vishnu owner Shiv Pathak he was able to get a high 10 second slip by raising the boost according to his data log and shifting cleanly. Details are scarce as Vishnu did not provide information on the youtube video upload and there also is no exterior view to show the slip actually correlates to the run shown in the video.

      We will give the benefit of the doubt here but with all secrecy and the multiple attempts to get to this point the performance is simply underwhelming for the time and money investment. The car is said to have run 10.8@131. It recently was dyno'd at 627 wheel horsepower by Insideline so these horses are not translating well to the ground. This single turbo offers considerable lag and the top end pull for the sacrifice simply is not there especially compared to existing solutions such as the Rob Beck twin turbo upgrade which offers far greater spool and performance only a few miles per off through the traps but with far greater driveability.

      The previous record was 11.10@127.21 with 19 psi of boost on the RB turbos. These turbos are a much more affordable option that also currently is available. Vishnu claims 23.5 psi of boost for this 10.8@131 mph run. Is it worth the minor top end benefit for the estimated $8500+ plus install? We do not think so and considering the way Vishnu hyped this the results are very underwhelming. The low end torque sacrifice is not being justified with a large top end gain.

      We wish Vishnu luck in the future but for now this is still an experiment and work in progress that is tough to buy both figuratively and literally. There are more affordable options that work better for daily driven N54 vehicles that offer 97% of the performance in practice (as in not just a dyno queen) with less compromises. Not to mention for users to repeat what Vishnu has done here with their own single turbo it will likely be far more difficult as they will not have the option of risking their engine with higher boost and timing advances simply to try to eek out a tenth to squeeze past what already exists and get into the 10's. It may be a record, but it certainly is not impressive considering where the bar was already set with far less horsepower and much more affordable tuning and hardware options.







      This article was originally published in forum thread: Vishnu/FFTEC 10.822 1/4 mile RECORD! started by onesuperboi View original post
      Comments 682 Comments
      1. Tony@VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        Tony@VargasTurboTech -
        Ended up drinking with Shiv 2 days in a row. Friends of friends wound up in the same place...Click here to enlarge We didn't talk much car stuff. But He told me a little about it. Car is running right now, its a customers car and he gave permission to blow it up seeing how much power they came make. Sounds like fun to me. Looking forward to seeing what it does...
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        Ended up drinking with Shiv 2 days in a row. Friends of friends wound up in the same place...Click here to enlarge We didn't talk much car stuff. But He told me a little about it. Car is running right now, its a customers car and he gave permission to blow it up seeing how much power they came make. Sounds like fun to me. Looking forward to seeing what it does...
        Did he mention what happened to his car? It's been months since we've heard anything from it. Why wouldn't he test a new turbo setup on the shop car first.. Kind of odd?
      1. Tony@VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        Tony@VargasTurboTech -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Did he mention what happened to his car? It's been months since we've heard anything from it. Why wouldn't he test a new turbo setup on the shop car first.. Kind of odd?
        As I said we barely talked cars, we were just having a fun weekend. I didn't ask about his car and he didn't mention it. But I mean if I had a customer willing to sacrifice his motor in the name of power and so he can built it up after, I would prob do that instead of my own motor as well.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Results will be interesting! FFTEC sure makes a nice looking manifold. It's a shame they need to wrap it in that ugly header wrap and the gold foil. Wish there was another way there. Click here to enlarge
      1. Eleventeen's Avatar
        Eleventeen -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Results will be interesting! FFTEC sure makes a nice looking manifold. It's a shame they need to wrap it in that ugly header wrap and the gold foil. Wish there was another way there. Click here to enlarge
        Yeah, them $#@!es can weld.
      1. mycoupe's Avatar
        mycoupe -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
        Well then this was probably the motor he was putting numbers out for that suddenly gained a lot of spool and power when he started taunting Tony. He got asked point blank whether he was running a new twin-scroll kit; and he denied it. Click here to enlarge
        Can't say for sure, but what was said on e90 is that this is just a mock up engine and it doesn't belong to any car. As far as the car you speak of, that was insano's, no? He is running the vff800?
      1. mycoupe's Avatar
        mycoupe -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        Ended up drinking with Shiv 2 days in a row. Friends of friends wound up in the same place...Click here to enlarge We didn't talk much car stuff. But He told me a little about it. Car is running right now, its a customers car and he gave permission to blow it up seeing how much power they came make. Sounds like fun to me. Looking forward to seeing what it does...
        If true, that is freakin' awesome! It'll be very interesting to see where these things finally let go!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        Ended up drinking with Shiv 2 days in a row. Friends of friends wound up in the same place...Click here to enlarge We didn't talk much car stuff. But He told me a little about it. Car is running right now, its a customers car and he gave permission to blow it up seeing how much power they came make. Sounds like fun to me. Looking forward to seeing what it does...
        So blow it up to see what it can handle then build it I take it?
      1. Dirty Dog's Avatar
        Dirty Dog -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Did he mention what happened to his car? It's been months since we've heard anything from it. Why wouldn't he test a new turbo setup on the shop car first.. Kind of odd?
        Does seem a little odd. My guess is he blew the motor in his car.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        True it has been rather quiet...
      1. V8Bait's Avatar
        V8Bait -
        I like the idea of a twin scroll, and that manifold looks freaking cool. Worth it? Always! Maybe. Very excited to see where it pops!
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dirty Dog Click here to enlarge
        Does seem a little odd. My guess is he blew the motor in his car.
        Probably but it shouldn't take that long to throw it back together. Then again Shiv is an odd guy. Never quite been able to figure him out. Click here to enlarge
      1. Dirty Dog's Avatar
        Dirty Dog -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Probably but it shouldn't take that long to throw it back together. Then again Shiv is an odd guy. Never quite been able to figure him out. Click here to enlarge
        He's a man of mystery not to mention he's his own worst enemy. His marketing and secretive behavior is the reason why his product is heading south.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dirty Dog Click here to enlarge
        He's a man of mystery not to mention he's his own worst enemy. His marketing and secretive behavior is the reason why his product is heading south.
        I think it's also a combination of the platform seemingly going beyond his ability. He obviously doesn't have a flash grasp (or resources) like Cobb and now the turbo upgrade market is giving him competition. He just is better suited at selling the piggyback by utilizing the forums to convince people to buy it. I mean that's what I have seen thus far. I just don't think the Haltech ties are doing much for him any more these days and the platform seems to be passing him by. But at long as he has a deal with FFtec it continues to give him relevance as the single turbo may impress at some point.
      1. E90Company's Avatar
        E90Company -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I think it's also a combination of the platform seemingly going beyond his ability. He obviously doesn't have a flash grasp (or resources) like Cobb and now the turbo upgrade market is giving him competition. He just is better suited at selling the piggyback by utilizing the forums to convince people to buy it. I mean that's what I have seen thus far. I just don't think the Haltech ties are doing much for him any more these days and the platform seems to be passing him by. But at long as he has a deal with FFtec it continues to give him relevance as the single turbo may impress at some point.
        Very well said.
      1. BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
        BEAR-AvHistory -
        This thread is a year old & no improvement yet?Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory Click here to enlarge
        This thread is a year old & no improvement yet?Click here to enlarge
        It takes someone posting a stronger dyno to get Shiv to do anything with this. Now some other N54 needs to run a faster time...
      1. crazylegs's Avatar
        crazylegs -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It takes someone posting a stronger dyno to get Shiv to do anything with this. Now some other N54 needs to run a faster time...
        PATIENTLY AWAITING VARGAS III

        caps is to emphasize patients
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crazylegs Click here to enlarge
        PATIENTLY AWAITING VARGAS III

        caps is to emphasize patients

        i hear ya, it can be so exciting waiting for some new twins.. hope you get them soon, the more people running on hybrids, the better. i know one guy couldnt wait a few more weeks/months and went a different route. I hope you stay the course so we have some good variations, eventually
      1. GeorgiaTech335Coupe's Avatar
        GeorgiaTech335Coupe -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Probably but it shouldn't take that long to throw it back together. Click here to enlarge
        It can take longer than you think if you don't order off the shelf parts (which usually are stock specs and have none of the nice options). Manufacturing time alone can be up to 8 weeks.