Close

    • Vishnu Tuning E92 335i with FFTEC N54 single turbo hardware + raised boost finally runs a 10 second 1/4 mile pass, underwhelming?

      Vishnu Tuning finally managed to eek out a 10 second pass in their single turbo E92 335i that they were once touting would be in the 9's. After multiple unsuccessful attempts (with driver errors) from Vishnu owner Shiv Pathak he was able to get a high 10 second slip by raising the boost according to his data log and shifting cleanly. Details are scarce as Vishnu did not provide information on the youtube video upload and there also is no exterior view to show the slip actually correlates to the run shown in the video.

      We will give the benefit of the doubt here but with all secrecy and the multiple attempts to get to this point the performance is simply underwhelming for the time and money investment. The car is said to have run 10.8@131. It recently was dyno'd at 627 wheel horsepower by Insideline so these horses are not translating well to the ground. This single turbo offers considerable lag and the top end pull for the sacrifice simply is not there especially compared to existing solutions such as the Rob Beck twin turbo upgrade which offers far greater spool and performance only a few miles per off through the traps but with far greater driveability.

      The previous record was 11.10@127.21 with 19 psi of boost on the RB turbos. These turbos are a much more affordable option that also currently is available. Vishnu claims 23.5 psi of boost for this 10.8@131 mph run. Is it worth the minor top end benefit for the estimated $8500+ plus install? We do not think so and considering the way Vishnu hyped this the results are very underwhelming. The low end torque sacrifice is not being justified with a large top end gain.

      We wish Vishnu luck in the future but for now this is still an experiment and work in progress that is tough to buy both figuratively and literally. There are more affordable options that work better for daily driven N54 vehicles that offer 97% of the performance in practice (as in not just a dyno queen) with less compromises. Not to mention for users to repeat what Vishnu has done here with their own single turbo it will likely be far more difficult as they will not have the option of risking their engine with higher boost and timing advances simply to try to eek out a tenth to squeeze past what already exists and get into the 10's. It may be a record, but it certainly is not impressive considering where the bar was already set with far less horsepower and much more affordable tuning and hardware options.







      This article was originally published in forum thread: Vishnu/FFTEC 10.822 1/4 mile RECORD! started by onesuperboi View original post
      Comments 682 Comments
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Wheres all the AT single turbo guys at?
      1. Dave W.'s Avatar
        Dave W. -
        Honestly, I doubt you'll find single turbo owners on this site since there's been an unusual amount of hate for the Vishnu/FFtec single turbo users here. I don't know why it's like that. You'd think that with all the other big companies ( CP-e?, HPF) who teased us with never-ending threads that promised a big single upgrade, and then ended up lying to us about results, dyno sheets from some other car, tuning solutions that never existed, etc (I can't keep up with all their BS in an 85 page long threads) and then disappeared without a word, perhaps this community would be less hateful towards the first real production single turbo upgrade for the N54.
      1. Q4P's Avatar
        Q4P -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dave W. Click here to enlarge
        Honestly, I doubt you'll find single turbo owners on this site since there's been an unusual amount of hate for the Vishnu/FFtec single turbo users here. I don't know why it's like that. You'd think that with all the other big companies ( CP-e?, HPF) who teased us with never-ending threads that promised a big single upgrade, and then ended up lying to us about results, dyno sheets from some other car, tuning solutions that never existed, etc (I can't keep up with all their BS in an 85 page long threads) and then disappeared without a word, perhaps this community would be less hateful towards the first real production single turbo upgrade for the N54.
        AFAIK... there is nothing going on at the other site as well.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dave W. Click here to enlarge
        Honestly, I doubt you'll find single turbo owners on this site since there's been an unusual amount of hate for the Vishnu/FFtec single turbo users here. I don't know why it's like that. You'd think that with all the other big companies ( CP-e?, HPF) who teased us with never-ending threads that promised a big single upgrade, and then ended up lying to us about results, dyno sheets from some other car, tuning solutions that never existed, etc (I can't keep up with all their BS in an 85 page long threads) and then disappeared without a word, perhaps this community would be less hateful towards the first real production single turbo upgrade for the N54.
        none cares WHERE its posted, but the fact NOTHING IS posted, leads us to believe SOMETHING is wrong Click here to enlarge
      1. bmw335iguy's Avatar
        bmw335iguy -
        Its definitely odd that shiv hasn't posted a vbox let alone a timeslip from a single turbo AT...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dave W. Click here to enlarge
        Honestly, I doubt you'll find single turbo owners on this site since there's been an unusual amount of hate for the Vishnu/FFtec single turbo users here. I don't know why it's like that. You'd think that with all the other big companies ( CP-e?, HPF) who teased us with never-ending threads that promised a big single upgrade, and then ended up lying to us about results, dyno sheets from some other car, tuning solutions that never existed, etc (I can't keep up with all their BS in an 85 page long threads) and then disappeared without a word, perhaps this community would be less hateful towards the first real production single turbo upgrade for the N54.
        Blah blah you find everybody here.
      1. R1000K3's Avatar
        R1000K3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        none cares WHERE its posted, but the fact NOTHING IS posted, leads us to believe SOMETHING is wrong Click here to enlarge
        There was a post both with video and a time slip earlier proving good performances and also dyno curves. But it has been worrying quite for a while. I hope there is no engine damage hidden behind the scene.
      1. Q4P's Avatar
        Q4P -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R1000K3 Click here to enlarge
        There was a post both with video and a time slip earlier proving good performances and also dyno curves. But it has been worrying quite for a while. I hope there is no engine damage hidden behind the scene.
        I highly doubt engine damage! i just think that the car's aren't performing to everyone's expectations. I can almost gurantee that Shiv is up to something behind the scenes. In any case, right now it's a catch-22... if you have the manual, it's very difficult to drag. If you have the auto, it doesn't make the power.
      1. MikeB@FFTEC's Avatar
        MikeB@FFTEC -
        I know there are two customers having the single turbo kit installed at the moment. One Manual transmission car that will see some road course abuse, and an AT that will be street driven. I'm sure there will be some further updates as those cars are completed. In the case of the first two 6AT cars, they have been driven pretty much every day without any issues.
      1. Brey335i's Avatar
        Brey335i -
        Shiv has been really quiet and absent for a while. Usually that means he's working on something new. I'm not even in a 335 anymore but I'm still interested in seeing the single turbo progress and what if anything can be done for the 6AT.
      1. NoSleep's Avatar
        NoSleep -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MikeB Click here to enlarge
        I know there are two customers having the single turbo kit installed at the moment. One Manual transmission car that will see some road course abuse, and an AT that will be street driven. I'm sure there will be some further updates as those cars are completed. In the case of the first two 6AT cars, they have been driven pretty much every day without any issues.
        Mine is the 6MT. There have been quite a few 335s going through FFTEC lately, so I would guess there are more than 5 in existence. You have to remember that many people don't actually like posting on the forums, they just suck down information then drive their cars.
      1. shiv@vishnu's Avatar
        shiv@vishnu -
        Not including mine, there are 4 single turbos n54s in the shop right now. And 4 more on the street in CA and in the east. There will be 3 more in Asia over the next 1-2 weeks. So by the end of this month, we expect to have at least 10 world wide with numbers growing at a good pace for the foreseeable future.

        I've been a bit quiet on the forums lately because there is not enough time in the day to develop/test let alone post on the internet Click here to enlarge
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        lol..

        i heard "BOOM BOOM BOOOOM, now let me hear you say way oh,way oh.. BOOM BOOM BOOOOM, AT''s all let go.. I say BOOM BOOM BOOOM.. "

        just sayin.. thats what I heard
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        lol..

        i heard "BOOM BOOM BOOOOM, now let me hear you say way oh,way oh.. BOOM BOOM BOOOOM, AT''s all let go.. I say BOOM BOOM BOOOM.. "

        just sayin.. thats what I heard
        Anything in writing documenting this? (e.g., email, PM, etc.)

        Shiv, please confirm or deny?
      1. themyst's Avatar
        themyst -
        I simply don't understand how people can drop 10k on a single turbo kit but not build their transmission. You can "get away with it" on RBs for a while, but if you have any aspirations of running 600+ whp, 500+ lbs torque at redline I wouldn't think twice about it.
      1. themyst's Avatar
        themyst -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        lol..

        i heard "BOOM BOOM BOOOOM, now let me hear you say way oh,way oh.. BOOM BOOM BOOOOM, AT''s all let go.. I say BOOM BOOM BOOOM.. "

        just sayin.. thats what I heard
        Lol Shiv will threaten to sue if the guy came forward, will never happen.
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        I wouldn't be surprised if a AT let go, they already are with rb's why would it last any longer with more power? A beefed up 6mt is the way to go for high power in these cars.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        I'd expect trans problems before motor problems on the AT.
      1. jzeee037's Avatar
        jzeee037 -
        I have to say nothin has made me lol lately but LM that was greatness.
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
        Lol Shiv will threaten to sue if the guy came forward, will never happen.
        For what? Truth is privileged!