• Vishnu Tuning E92 335i with FFTEC N54 single turbo hardware + raised boost finally runs a 10 second 1/4 mile pass, underwhelming?

      Vishnu Tuning finally managed to eek out a 10 second pass in their single turbo E92 335i that they were once touting would be in the 9's. After multiple unsuccessful attempts (with driver errors) from Vishnu owner Shiv Pathak he was able to get a high 10 second slip by raising the boost according to his data log and shifting cleanly. Details are scarce as Vishnu did not provide information on the youtube video upload and there also is no exterior view to show the slip actually correlates to the run shown in the video.

      We will give the benefit of the doubt here but with all secrecy and the multiple attempts to get to this point the performance is simply underwhelming for the time and money investment. The car is said to have run 10.8@131. It recently was dyno'd at 627 wheel horsepower by Insideline so these horses are not translating well to the ground. This single turbo offers considerable lag and the top end pull for the sacrifice simply is not there especially compared to existing solutions such as the Rob Beck twin turbo upgrade which offers far greater spool and performance only a few miles per off through the traps but with far greater driveability.

      The previous record was 11.10@127.21 with 19 psi of boost on the RB turbos. These turbos are a much more affordable option that also currently is available. Vishnu claims 23.5 psi of boost for this 10.8@131 mph run. Is it worth the minor top end benefit for the estimated $8500+ plus install? We do not think so and considering the way Vishnu hyped this the results are very underwhelming. The low end torque sacrifice is not being justified with a large top end gain.

      We wish Vishnu luck in the future but for now this is still an experiment and work in progress that is tough to buy both figuratively and literally. There are more affordable options that work better for daily driven N54 vehicles that offer 97% of the performance in practice (as in not just a dyno queen) with less compromises. Not to mention for users to repeat what Vishnu has done here with their own single turbo it will likely be far more difficult as they will not have the option of risking their engine with higher boost and timing advances simply to try to eek out a tenth to squeeze past what already exists and get into the 10's. It may be a record, but it certainly is not impressive considering where the bar was already set with far less horsepower and much more affordable tuning and hardware options.







      This article was originally published in forum thread: Vishnu/FFTEC 10.822 1/4 mile RECORD! started by onesuperboi View original post
      Comments 682 Comments
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
        LOL Jason is such a little $#@!

        Repped for truth!
      1. Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
        Laguna Seca Blue -
        Joeyballs, you deserved to be banned if you've said similar things before. I got an infraction for being disresptectful towards Terry. How is your comment any different? That screenshot does nothing but incriminate you.

        Anyway, anyone...can you please answer my questions?
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        As has been stated in my opinion drivetrain loss has a fixed component and a progressive component. Maybe something like X + (Y*HP)^2, a fixed component and then a component that increases the loss at higher rates of acceleration. But the bigger picture is why market with it? You can't sit on an engine and drive it down the track. And anything you do short of an engine dyno is simply an approximation based on various assumptions at best. I don't understand the fascination with engine horsepower in marketing and can't imagine writing "725hp" on my window if I have a dynojet run that reads 640whp.
      1. Q4P's Avatar
        Q4P -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        As has been stated in my opinion drivetrain loss has a fixed component and a progressive component. Maybe something like X + (Y*HP)^2, a fixed component and then a component that increases the loss at higher rates of acceleration. But the bigger picture is why market with it? You can't sit on an engine and drive it down the track. And anything you do short of an engine dyno is simply an approximation based on various assumptions at best. I don't understand the fascination with engine horsepower in marketing and can't imagine writing "725hp" on my window if I have a dynojet run that reads 640whp.
        Unfortunately that is the way for everyone who doesn't know anything about cars to relate to other cars in this world. We all know crank hp numbers are BS but that is what every car manufacturer gives out and they are inconsistent as well. You'd be surprised how few people understand what WHP is or how it even makes any sense or what the relation is... Porsche seems to guesstimate their crank HPs pretty well but that's due to a rear engine / rear wheel drive setup but it's still far off at even 10%.
      1. joeyballs's Avatar
        joeyballs -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue Click here to enlarge
        Joeyballs, you deserved to be banned if you've said similar things before. I got an infraction for being disresptectful towards Terry. How is your comment any different? That screenshot does nothing but incriminate you.

        Anyway, anyone...can you please answer my questions?

        "Incriminate" me? You realize we're talking about internet chat forums right? $#@! that forum and Jason.
      1. Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
        Laguna Seca Blue -
        Terry, your insistence on posting every time I comment isn't fooling anyone. You're trying to divert attention. You accused Shiv of libel on a public forum which is a very serious accusation. I think It's only fair to the community to fully explain yourself. If you already have, please show me where.

        Also, given that I know the particulars of Shiv's very prestigious education, i highly doubt that you do not.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue Click here to enlarge
        Terry, your insistence on posting every time I comment isn't fooling anyone. You're trying to divert attention. You accused Shiv of libel on a public forum which is a very serious accusation. I think It's only fair to the community to fully explain yourself. If you already have, please show me where. I

        Also, given that I know the particulars of Shiv's very prestigious education, i highly doubt that you do not.

        What the $#@! are you talking about?
      1. alpinedevil335's Avatar
        alpinedevil335 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue Click here to enlarge
        Hey Everyone, this is my first post. Please don't pounce on me, I come in peace. I don't know how things work around here, so I have a couple of questions:

        1. Is Sticky's lead article a news piece or an editorial?
        2. When I joined BB, I received a PM that said, "good to finally see you on here Laguna Seca Blue" and then continued to talk about the services BB provides. Does everyone get a message like that when they join?
        3. Is it ok to make personal character judgements on this site?
        4. I was told by several members on bimmerpost to join BB, because Terry had answered the question I posed there here. I have yet to be able to find it. Can someone please direct me to it?

        Thanks in advance for answering my questions!
        I'll let @Sticky answer most of these questions.
        To answer #4 I think that might have been on n54tech.com.

        All you need to know is this IS NOT the other site. You can do as you please here. Just remember that there is a reputation system here that we (the members)use to regulate each other.
        Contribute positives to bring your rep up.
        Please don't carry yourself the way you do on the other site.

        PS.
        I hooked you up with some rep to start you and the right track. Use it wisely.
        Judging by the way you carry yourself on the other site, you are goin to need all the help you can get.
      1. JoshBoody's Avatar
        JoshBoody -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        right, i dont want him to break it, but just stating i realize there really is only 1 way to dispute it, and thats by going bigger.

        Think about it.. Not long ago, it was discovered that the DME only uses 33% (IIRC) of fuel, so piggy's are running off those tables/logic, yes?

        So, is it beyond possible that The lying, deceiving, false mod giving, Shiv, calibrated/scaled/calculated HIS s/w to those specs? To show 34% of total fuel when really its 100% of available piggyback fuel?

        Especially given the fact that 23.xx PSI has been KNOWN to be peak psi from stock Tmap..

        No one wonders why these 2 numbers are MAXED?
        What numbers are maxed... you're not making any sense. We enjoy your insightful opinions, but tech stuff doesn't suit you.

        Looks like Shiv does have some fuel aterations beyond the procede biases, but its only speculation at this time. Could be hardware... Different pulley may work. Or flash. Really he doesn't need to reveal until the kit is for sale to everyone. Looks like he has plenty of room in fueling though.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue Click here to enlarge
        Terry, your insistence on posting every time I comment isn't fooling anyone. You're trying to divert attention. You accused Shiv of libel on a public forum which is a very serious accusation. I think It's only fair to the community to fully explain yourself. If you already have, please show me where.

        Also, given that I know the particulars of Shiv's very prestigious education, i highly doubt that you do not.
        Was that directed to me? What are you talking about? Are you the same guy who posted anyone using a JB4 must be a college student or a day laborer? Click here to enlarge
      1. Forcefed's Avatar
        Forcefed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue Click here to enlarge
        Joeyballs, you deserved to be banned if you've said similar things before. I got an infraction for being disresptectful towards Terry. How is your comment any different? That screenshot does nothing but incriminate you.

        Anyway, anyone...can you please answer my questions?
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue Click here to enlarge
        Terry, your insistence on posting every time I comment isn't fooling anyone. You're trying to divert attention. You accused Shiv of libel on a public forum which is a very serious accusation. I think It's only fair to the community to fully explain yourself. If you already have, please show me where.

        Also, given that I know the particulars of Shiv's very prestigious education, i highly doubt that you do not.
        GTFO of this thread. You're messing it all up.

        Can someone please tell me the gear ratios? Carry on, everyone.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
        GTFO of this thread. You're messing it all up.

        Can someone please tell me the gear ratios? Carry on, everyone.
        Shiv said he went over to a 3.46 final ratio, like a steptronic car. 4th is 1.19 on manuals 1.14 on autos, if memory serves.
      1. Q4P's Avatar
        Q4P -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Shiv said he went over to a 3.46 final ratio, like a steptronic car. 4th is 1.19 on manuals 1.14 on autos, if memory serves.
        I know its OT but hows the 4 banger runnin Terry?
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
        I know its OT but hows the 4 banger runnin Terry?
        The F30 328i? Really well actually. Just got a downpipe on it last week and need to get back on the dyno to review the tuning and quantify those gains. We should have production quality Stage1 harnesses in a week or so. It's really a pretty amazing car, much sportier than our C250, and tuned to tuned there is really no comparison. BMW FTW. Click here to enlarge
      1. Forcefed's Avatar
        Forcefed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Shiv said he went over to a 3.46 final ratio, like a steptronic car. 4th is 1.19 on manuals 1.14 on autos, if memory serves.
        Okay, thanks! I wish he would have made the pass with stock gears and DR's. No one will run 28" slicks on the street. I want to see a BMS single turbo car in the 10's Click here to enlarge
      1. Q4P's Avatar
        Q4P -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        The F30 328i? Really well actually. Just got a downpipe on it last week and need to get back on the dyno to review the tuning and quantify those gains. We should have production quality Stage1 harnesses in a week or so. It's really a pretty amazing car, much sportier than our C250, and tuned to tuned there is really no comparison. BMW FTW. Click here to enlarge
        Glad to hear... I wonder what that turbo can boost at full potential and what meth can do for it...
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
        Okay, thanks! I wish he would have made the pass with stock gears and DR's. No one will run 28" slicks on the street. I want to see a BMS single turbo car in the 10's Click here to enlarge
        The gears help mask the lag and make the car feel faster than it is. Good for giving people test drives. Plus optimizes 60-130 times at the expense of say 60-135 times. In theory should optimize traps also. It's easy to see why he did it but personally I'd just keep the OEM gearing, use a turbo with more low end punch, and run a 26" slick.

        Anyway you'll see a BMS tuned single turbo in the 10s some day. But I'd like to see a BMS tuned twin in the 10s first. Click here to enlarge
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
        Glad to hear... I wonder what that turbo can boost at full potential and what meth can do for it...
        Me too. Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        right, i dont want him to break it, but just stating i realize there really is only 1 way to dispute it, and thats by going bigger.

        Think about it.. Not long ago, it was discovered that the DME only uses 33% (IIRC) of fuel, so piggy's are running off those tables/logic, yes?

        So, is it beyond possible that The lying, deceiving, false mod giving, Shiv, calibrated/scaled/calculated HIS s/w to those specs? To show 34% of total fuel when really its 100% of available piggyback fuel?

        Especially given the fact that 23.xx PSI has been KNOWN to be peak psi from stock Tmap..

        No one wonders why these 2 numbers are MAXED?
        The values are maxed but what I am wondering is will it show above the TMAP limit on his log if he is exceeding it?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sean@FFTEC Click here to enlarge
        Neither the MAP sensor or the fuel trims are closed to being maxed out. The MAP sensor will read up to ~35psi. Fuel trims will max out at 34%. With the current set up, we should have anothe fuel for around 750whp. Give or take.
        There we go, will read up to 35 psi, thanks.