Close

    • What would a new BMW M1 look like? Rendering based on the upcoming i8

      It was already announced there will not be an M version of the BMW i8. That certainly has not stopped anyone from dreaming about what it could potentially be and look like. German magazine AutoZeitung did exactly that rendering a new M1 based on the i8. If it was up to us, we would build it. The fact BMW is going to produce a hybrid sports car before an M1 successor is mind boggling in of itself.

      Enough of this electric crap. Give it the S85 V10 bored and stroked to 5.8 liters out of the E60 M5 and let's get a real supercar from BMW. It would be the best thing since the Carrera GT. Oh well, not going to happen, but we can dream.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: What would a new BMW M1 look like? Rendering based on the upcoming i8 started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 38 Comments
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I feel the same way.
        Really though? I still feel the current M3, 1M and M5 have very unique characters.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
        Really though? I still feel the current M3, 1M and M5 have very unique characters.
        Current M3 yes, the rest, no.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
        Really though? I still feel the current M3, 1M and M5 have very unique characters.
        The new M5 definitely not. Pretty much one of the prime examples of BMW losing the uniqueness it once had. Not saying it is a bad car what so ever.

        It just isn't the same. Like I said earlier, hard to put into words.
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        The new M5 definitely not. Pretty much one of the prime examples of BMW losing the uniqueness it once had. Not saying it is a bad car what so ever.

        It just isn't the same. Like I said earlier, hard to put into words.
        The S85 is awesome. Love that sound. But that new Twin-Turbo V8 is just a monster, especially as people start opening it up. Not to mention how toss-able the M5 is and how easily you can drift the thing, based on reviews I have watched. One of my favorite aspects of the 1M that I have personally experienced vs other RWD sports cars that I have driven is how effortlessly you can switch from brake to throttle input and progressively throw the rear out into a turn. You don't have to drop the clutch either, the torque hits in such a way that it just feels natural to go through with some slip.

        Not the fastest way around. But definitely fun.
      1. dreikraft's Avatar
        dreikraft -
        last 'tossable' m5 imho was the e34.

        Attachment 17295
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
        last 'tossable' m5 imho was the e34.

        Attachment 17295
        I really think that disrespects the E39.
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        I don't know if you've driven both E34 and E39 M5s, Sticky, but I have and I have to say I kind of agree with dreikraft. The E39 M5 is my absolute favorite BMW of all time as an all around package, but in terms of pure agility and handling the E34 was in a different league. It weighs about the same as a 335i and was really low, the E39 is slightly more upright and around 4,000lbs if I remember right (E39 M5s weight practically the same as E60s).

        I even drove a full Dinan S3 E39 M5 with their suspension and camber plates and everything and even that wasn't as nimble or agile as the stock E34 M5 so I think his claim about tossability is valid.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        I don't know if you've driven both E34 and E39 M5s, Sticky, but I have and I have to say I kind of agree with dreikraft. The E39 M5 is my absolute favorite BMW of all time as an all around package, but in terms of pure agility and handling the E34 was in a different league. It weighs about the same as a 335i and was really low, the E39 is slightly more upright and around 4,000lbs if I remember right (E39 M5s weight practically the same as E60s).

        I even drove a full Dinan S3 E39 M5 with their suspension and camber plates and everything and even that wasn't as nimble or agile as the stock E34 M5 so I think his claim about tossability is valid.
        The E34 is definitely lighter but the E39 was the epitome of the M5 in my opinion. The E39 sure was heavier but perfectly balanced with a bunch of torque (with a nice top end) to let you rotate it however you wanted. Just a difference of opinion in what an M5 should be. I don't think it should try to mimic a 3.
      1. IHCrusader's Avatar
        IHCrusader -
        Its a shame that BMW is moving further and further away from itself. I wonder what it will take for them to get back to their roots. I am still not excited about their new Motorsports director. The "M" line of non-M cars are really just rebranded as such from their former BMW Performance line-up. The only difference is that all that stuff is kind of going on the cars straight from the factory. The new M135i is nothing more than the same old motor with the Performance Power Kit, nothing new there.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by IHCrusader Click here to enlarge
        The new M135i is nothing more than the same old motor with the Performance Power Kit, nothing new there.
        Exactly, I wasn't even sure if the M135i deserved an article on it because it is so weak.
      1. dreikraft's Avatar
        dreikraft -
        It's all marketing. Once the've diluted it enough they'll have to refocus. E39 is my fav m5 btw but it's too massive to consider tossable.Give me an app!!!!!!!!!
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        What the $#@! is BMW going to do with two cars, one called the 1M and one called the M1. lolwut
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        What the $#@! is BMW going to do with two cars, one called the 1M and one called the M1. lolwut
        They conveniently dodged this as the new 1M will be the M2.
      1. persian54's Avatar
        persian54 -
        I'm not gonna lie, I've been thinking of getting out of the BMW brand.... they're not what they used to be
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        Yeah, $#@! BMW. Pieces of $#@!. And the 1M is gay as hell.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
        Yeah, $#@! BMW. Pieces of $#@!. And the 1M is gay as hell.
        Sarcasm on.
      1. rezin23's Avatar
        rezin23 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Because BMW is really sucking a whole lot lately.

        Mercedes passed them in the USA. Porsche is offering way better naturally aspirated motors. Audi is taking it to them worldwide. BMW is diluting the M brand. They are building a $#@!ing hybrid sports car versus a real M1. They are going to front wheel drive. I mean, is it really me or is it BMW?
        I completely agree with this. I what to see a twin turbo V12 M1, with no less than 1000hp I don't care if it costs a million dollars.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rezin23 Click here to enlarge
        I completely agree with this. I what to see a twin turbo V12 M1, with no less than 1000hp I don't care if it costs a million dollars.
        The amount of horsepower isn't my concern as much as how it is delivered.