• 3 Series wagon is coming back to the USA - F31 3 Series touring to go on sale in 2013

      This car should never have been taken out of the US lineup. The 5 Series GT was simply not the answer for people who wanted a wagon, the sales figures supported that. Unfortunately, it will be a year long wait before we have this car as it will go on sale in Spring of 2013. Expect the wagon to mirror F30 drivetrain choices so expect 328i and 335i models. The chances for a deal do not look good. Check out the pictures below.


















      Source: BMW USA
      This article was originally published in forum thread: 3 Series wagon is coming back to the USA - F31 3 Series touring to go on sale in 2013 started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 27 Comments
      1. Ryan Mills's Avatar
        Ryan Mills -
        Is it wrong to love wagons? If I made any real money, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat!
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        ^
        Absolutely not.

        The new 5-series wagon looks even better.
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        if only they would make an m3 wagon xD
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
        if only they would make an m3 wagon xD
        No reason for it.
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        they had no reason for the e60 m5 touring but they made it?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
        they had no reason for the e60 m5 touring but they made it?
        Only in Europe.
      1. black bnr32's Avatar
        black bnr32 -
        $#@!. yes. would prefer this over any x1 or x3 by a long shot.
      1. Obioban's Avatar
        Obioban -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No reason for it.
        More rigid chassis, more practical.

        The brilliance of the M3 is it combines sportiness and practicality. An M3 wagon would do that better. Minimal decrease in sport, huge increase in practical.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Obioban Click here to enlarge
        More rigid chassis, more practical.

        The brilliance of the M3 is it combines sportiness and practicality. An M3 wagon would do that better. Minimal decrease in sport, huge increase in practical.
        The M3 is watered down as is with too many variants and this was one of the complaints by BMW with this generation. Many sedans sat on lots.

        A wagon is more practical but the M3 was never imagined as a wagon and has never been a wagon. Just get a 335i wagon and call it a day, no reason for the M3 wagon that I see and I wouldn't want to see it. The M5 makes more sense in this regard.
      1. Obioban's Avatar
        Obioban -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The M3 is watered down as is with too many variants and this was one of the complaints by BMW with this generation. Many sedans sat on lots.

        A wagon is more practical but the M3 was never imagined as a wagon and has never been a wagon. Just get a 335i wagon and call it a day, no reason for the M3 wagon that I see and I wouldn't want to see it. The M5 makes more sense in this regard.
        The wagon isn't a watering down. Automated gearboxes, turbos, isolation from the road, SUV awd M cars, electronics that drive the car for you, and excess weight is what's dumbing them down modern BMWs.

        The only car configuration I'd consider a watering down is the vert... and they've made that in every generation.

        The M3 is the sports car you can drive every day. The wagon would be better at that mission. Makes sense to me.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Obioban Click here to enlarge
        The wagon isn't a watering down. Automated gearboxes, turbos, isolation from the road, SUV awd M cars, electronics that drive the car for you, and excess weight is what's dumbing them down modern BMWs.

        The only car configuration I'd consider a watering down is the vert... and they've made that in every generation.

        The M3 is the sports car you can drive every day. The wagon would be better at that mission. Makes sense to me.
        I think a dual clutch transmission to improve performance makes more sense than adding a needless variant.

        The M3 was a coupe designed to race. First it was DTM, now ALMS. It is was never intended to be a grocery getter or a vehicle for soccer moms. At least BMW seems to agree. If you want more practicality, as I said, the M5 exists.
      1. Obioban's Avatar
        Obioban -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I think a dual clutch transmission to improve performance makes more sense than adding a needless variant.

        The M3 was a coupe designed to race. First it was DTM, now ALMS. It is was never intended to be a grocery getter or a vehicle for soccer moms. At least BMW seems to agree. If you want more practicality, as I said, the M5 exists.
        The M5 is not nearly as rewarding to drive on a back road, has higher running costs, uses significantly more gas, and in the F10/F30 generation, I find has a less useable back seat (at 6'4, I can sit comfortably behind myself in the F30... but not the F10). Not to mention the M5 is a $100,000 car vs the M3's $60,000.

        Current M3 race cars have barely any relation to the street car (they share what, headlights?), so WGAF.
      1. Obioban's Avatar
        Obioban -
        The current M3 sedan already uses coupe headlights, so it's pretty safe to say the wagon would have as well. So there you go-- similar levels of parts sharing with the race program Click here to enlarge
      1. Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
        Puerto Rican 335d -
        Gie it to me on "D" variant and people will buy it , trust me on this cause I would been of those to buy that way and I am a single man with kids every 6 months. Love the BMW wagons, lowered down and pumped up aka Wolf in Sheep's clothing style aka "SLEEPER"
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Obioban Click here to enlarge
        The M5 is not nearly as rewarding to drive on a back road, has higher running costs, uses significantly more gas, and in the F10/F30 generation, I find has a less useable back seat (at 6'4, I can sit comfortably behind myself in the F30... but not the F10). Not to mention the M5 is a $100,000 car vs the M3's $60,000.

        Current M3 race cars have barely any relation to the street car (they share what, headlights?), so WGAF.
        The M5 has a twin turbo V8 now I really don't think the gas argument makes sense versus the current M3.

        The argument you are making is daily usability and in that case the M5 wins which is probably why BMW made an M5 touring and not an M3 touring.

        Current M3 race cars run a 4.0 liter naturally aspirated high revving V8. What does the street M3 run?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d Click here to enlarge
        Gie it to me on "D" variant and people will buy it , trust me on this cause I would been of those to buy that way and I am a single man with kids every 6 months. Love the BMW wagons, lowered down and pumped up aka Wolf in Sheep's clothing style aka "SLEEPER"
        Diesel wagon in the US makes more sense than an M3 wagon ever would.
      1. Obioban's Avatar
        Obioban -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The M5 has a twin turbo V8 now I really don't think the gas argument makes sense versus the current M3.

        The argument you are making is daily usability and in that case the M5 wins which is probably why BMW made an M5 touring and not an M3 touring.

        Current M3 race cars run a 4.0 liter naturally aspirated high revving V8. What does the street M3 run?
        A different 4.0 liter naturally aspirated high revving V8. Click here to enlarge

        The M3 is still less than 2/3 the price, more fuel efficient when comparing cars of the same generation, and has more useable space despite being a smaller car.

        Mostly, though... I don't want to drive a 5 series on a daily basis. The M5 drives BIG. Hell, even the M3 feels annoyingly large these days. But the M5 feels like a (fast) 7 series.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Obioban Click here to enlarge
        A different 4.0 liter naturally aspirated high revving V8.
        Which it only is able to use because the M3 has a 4.0 liter naturally aspirated V8. Did you forget what happened back with the E46 M3 in ALMS?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Obioban Click here to enlarge
        The M3 is still less than 2/3 the price, more fuel efficient when comparing cars of the same generation, and has more useable space despite being a smaller car.
        Do you have an E92 M3? I can tell you it is not fuel efficient and how it is more fuel efficient than cars of the same generation? What cars? People want a wagon that gets 14 MPG when they instead could get better daily usability from a 335d or one with an N55? That is what it is coming with anyway.

        The M3 is basically a sports car which is why the V8 makes sense.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Obioban Click here to enlarge
        Mostly, though... I don't want to drive a 5 series on a daily basis. The M5 drives BIG. Hell, even the M3 feels annoyingly large these days. But the M5 feels like a (fast) 7 series.
        You have driven the F10 M5? Nope, don't think so. If your argument is about daily usability then the 5 makes all the more sense in the world. Regardless, BMW can't make a business case for an M3 wagon and neither can I.
      1. Obioban's Avatar
        Obioban -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Which it only is able to use because the M3 has a 4.0 liter naturally aspirated V8. Did you forget what happened back with the E46 M3 in ALMS?



        Do you have an E92 M3? I can tell you it is not fuel efficient and how it is more fuel efficient than cars of the same generation? What cars? People want a wagon that gets 14 MPG when they instead could get better daily usability from a 335d or one with an N55? That is what it is coming with anyway.

        The M3 is basically a sports car which is why the V8 makes sense.



        You have driven the F10 M5? Nope, don't think so. If your argument is about daily usability then the 5 makes all the more sense in the world. Regardless, BMW can't make a business case for an M3 wagon and neither can I.
        I'm not really sure why you're hung up on the race car. A wagon existing would not make the race car not exist or take away the engine. Who cares which shape of car they base the race car on, anyway? The race car has little to nothing in common with the street car.

        The M3 is a sport sedan, not a sports car. Sport sedan combines practicality with sportiness. It's true, the fuel economy (especially in the e9X generation) is garbage, but wouldn't be more of a detractor in the wagon than, say, the sedan... which exists and people love. And, if you think the M5 wagon makes sense... the e60 M5 gets 12 miles per gallon. If the M3 is a sports car, it's not a particularly good one. 3650 lbs? Better be getting something for all that weight.

        I have not driven an F10 M5 yet. I have driven the non M F10, e60 M5, e60 non M, e39 non M, and own an e39 M5. I feel 100% confident in saying that the F10 M5 will not be particularly rewarding on a back road. The F10 non M feels MUCH bigger than the 60, which feels bigger than the 39... and i don't find the e39 M5 to be particularly rewarding on a back road either. The 5 has grown to the point that I can't imagine buying one anymore. The 1 is the old 3, the 3 is the old 5.

        Anyways, I'm not sure you're capable of understanding this. The wagon does take away from the M3 "image", which I think is where you're hung up. And it would appear you're not alone, at least in the USA-- since we don't get the hatchbacks or M5 wagon.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Obioban Click here to enlarge
        I'm not really sure why you're hung up on the race car.
        Um, because BMW moved to a V8 due to it? The M3's origins are from being a race car? DTM? Hello?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Obioban Click here to enlarge
        A wagon existing would not make the race car not exist or take away the engine. Who cares which shape of car they base the race car on, anyway? The race car has little to nothing in common with the street car.
        This is absolutely true but how has a wagon ever fit the character of the M3?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Obioban Click here to enlarge
        The M3 is a sport sedan, not a sports car.
        It is a sports sedan that does the best sports car impression of any sport sedan in the world. Also two time defending ALMS GT Class winner where the sport sedan shows it can be a hell of a sports car.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Obioban Click here to enlarge
        And, if you think the M5 wagon makes sense... the e60 M5 gets 12 miles per gallon.
        It's 2012, the M5 no longer has an S85. Fact is the M5 makes more sense as a wagon, BMW agrees.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Obioban Click here to enlarge
        I feel 100% confident in saying that the F10 M5 will not be particularly rewarding on a back road.
        Based on not driving it? How heavy is the GTR? How does it handle on a back road?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Obioban Click here to enlarge
        Anyways, I'm not sure you're capable of understanding this. The wagon does take away from the M3 "image", which I think is where you're hung up. And it would appear you're not alone, at least in the USA
        Ding, ding, ding. And if someone is going to buy a wagon, are they going to be looking more for a 335/238 or diesel or a high revving 4.0 liter V8 with poor gas mileage? Especially since you get a wagon for its usability and not sportiness?