Close

    • BMW M head confirms BMW is considering an F01 M7 (M version of the 7 series) to compete with the Audi S8 and Mercedes S63 AMG

      We wish we could say this was new news but it isn't. We reported this just about 2 years ago yet other sites did not seem to believe us. Well, a recent Car and Driver interview with head of BMW M Friedrich Nitschke confirms our two year old story. Car and Driver asks him point blank, "Will you have an M Performance 7-series to compete with the Audi S8 and the Mercedes S-class AMG?" The response? "We are considering it."

      With M SUV's in the mix now and M badges being placed on just about everything it does not make sense any longer to not give the 7 the M treatment. What motor would this M7 get? Well, there are really two choices. An S63 twin turbo V8 shared with the M5 or a twin scroll twin turbo version of the N74 V12. The V8 would be lighter and more inline with what the character of an M should be as no production M vehicle (the McLaren F1 does not count in this respect) has ever had an M V12. The 850csi is the closest we ever got but the V12 may prove to be too nose heavy for an M.

      As we stated in our previous report, an M7 makes far more sense than an M version of the X5 ever did and that vehicle exists. You have watered the M brand down this far BMW, might as well make something many people actually want to see and that competes with models from Audi and Mercedes that already exist.


      Red:




      Blue:




      White:




      This article was originally published in forum thread: BMW M head confirms BMW is considering an F01 M7 (M version of the 7 series) to compete with the Audi S8 and Mercedes S63 AMG started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 21 Comments
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        lol, those pics are old. First BB renderings i think, right?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        lol, those pics are old. First BB renderings i think, right?
        They are old but they serve the article well.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Eh...not fan of this 7-series. Waste of BMW resources. Save it for the next gen 7.
      1. persian54's Avatar
        persian54 -
        This would be pretty awesome.
      1. DC47A's Avatar
        DC47A -
        I think BMW needs to focus on their three main M lines and make them the absolute best they can be better then all. Enough of this non sense and all these different M models M4, M7, x5M, x6M yada yada bull crap. Build an astounding 1M M3, 5 , and 6 and be done with it. I truly believe you produce a better line that way. I think the M3 could use more work in the engine and power department and the M6 needs a lot of work all around in my opinion. The newest M5 looks to be hitting the mark will see. Make a six series saloon with a M6 saloon and its a wrap they will fill in everywhere.
      1. Eleventeen's Avatar
        Eleventeen -
        That looks really nice.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DC47A Click here to enlarge
        I think BMW needs to focus on their three main M lines and make them the absolute best they can be better then all. Enough of this non sense and all these different M models M4, M7, x5M, x6M yada yada bull crap. Build an astounding 1M M3, 5 , and 6 and be done with it. I truly believe you produce a better line that way. I think the M3 could use more work in the engine and power department and the M6 needs a lot of work all around in my opinion. The newest M5 looks to be hitting the mark will see. Make a six series saloon with a M6 saloon and its a wrap they will fill in everywhere.
        It's too late, they are throwing the M badge on everything.
      1. DC47A's Avatar
        DC47A -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's too late, they are throwing the M badge on everything.

        Click here to enlarge So true I weep. Just like the S line. Good by to the day of quality renowned M products.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        What the hell Autoblog? I submitted this to you and you skip me out on it? http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/19/b...an-m7-sort-of/
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Why do you guys compare it to the Audi S line....not even close....
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        Why do you guys compare it to the Audi S line....not even close....
        The meaning was that the S-line used to be more special than it now is.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The meaning was that the S-line used to be more special than it now is.

        To me the S line is like the m sport or is badging.....it doesnt compare to M...and I think we need to quit crying that bmw threw an m badge on suvs that beat the $#@! out of the p car suvs...mission accompished...or, are you talking about the 1M?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        To me the S line is like the m sport or is badging.....it doesnt compare to M...and I think we need to quit crying that bmw threw an m badge on suvs that beat the $#@! out of the p car suvs...mission accompished...or, are you talking about the 1M?
        If you want me to list everything we should be crying about regarding what BMW is doing we are going to be here a while.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        They, along with every manufacturer are doing the same thing they have been doing over the past 20 yrs.....getting bigger, more powerful, faster cars....thats why the 1 is the new 3, the 3 is the new 5 and so on. I remember when the new M3 spyshots were coming out and rumors about a V8....people were in an uproar! Now it seems, that a V8 has always been in an M3....
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        They, along with every manufacturer are doing the same thing they have been doing over the past 20 yrs.....getting bigger, more powerful, faster cars....thats why the 1 is the new 3, the 3 is the new 5 and so on. I remember when the new M3 spyshots were coming out and rumors about a V8....people were in an uproar! Now it seems, that a V8 has always been in an M3....
        Retards were in an uproar. The V8 made sense, period. Look at what BMW is doing in ALMS, how stupid can people be?

        BMW is not doing the same thing they have been for the past 20 years. Look at the turbo motors. Game, set, match. I could go on but I want to watch basketball.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Retards were in an uproar. The V8 made sense, period. Look at what BMW is doing in ALMS, how stupid can people be?

        BMW is not doing the same thing they have been for the past 20 years. Look at the turbo motors. Game, set, match. I could go on but I want to watch basketball.
        Thats funny! Yeah, a v8 makes sense because the e92 M3 is a barge compared to the original...thanks for making my point.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        Thats funny! Yeah, a v8 makes sense because the e92 M3 is a barge compared to the original...thanks for making my point.
        The E92 M3 is the lightest car in its class and it uses the smallest V8 in its class yet... leads the class. Explain that.

        It isn't that heavy, 3550 is not that bad compared to a 4000 pound C-class. And the result in racing with a V8 has been what again?
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The E92 M3 is the lightest car in its class and it uses the smallest V8 in its class yet... leads the class. Explain that.

        It isn't that heavy, 3550 is not that bad compared to a 4000 pound C-class. And the result in racing with a V8 has been what again?
        M3 is so big it needs a tug boat running in front of it....maybe thats why they created the 1M....lol (Que the barge horn sounds!)
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        M3 is so big it needs a tug boat running in front of it....maybe thats why they created the 1M....lol (Que the barge horn sounds!)
        M3 GTS, I win.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...gring-Lap-7-45

        BTW...Why are you hating on the Colts all of the sudden?